Author Topic: Long Range sights for the Buffalo Classic  (Read 3743 times)

Offline 4570FAN

• Trade Count: (0)
Long Range sights for the Buffalo Classic
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:33:53 AM »
   I have done multiple searches on this topic before and after becoming a GBO member, and have not found much information that is RECENT. I would like to know people's opinions of what is a good sight to use on a BC for long range shooting. I've read the discussions and done research on both the Smith and Marble sights and have been unable to reach a conclusion. Your knowledge and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Like a lot of people, money IS an issue.  ;D

4570FAN (The Newbie  8) )

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Long Range sights for the Buffalo Classic
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:11:32 AM »
The Williams FP sight in combination with a .404" tall 17A Lyman front sight is good for 500yds with 500gr bullets, the Smith is good for at least 800yds, dodd3 has used both at those ranges. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,111161.msg1098338948.html#msg1098338948

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,112999.msg1098352297.html#msg1098352297

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,90832.msg553739.html#msg553739

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 4570FAN

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:10:58 PM »
 :D  Thanks a bunch Quick! I'm leaning towards the Smith Long Range sight, and I'm going to give it a try with the standard notched slider first. I think that this setup will be fine as the longest range I have access to is 600 yards, and we use 18" round "clangers".

4570FAN (Newbie) :P

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
hey pard
i have a buff with a smith long range ladder on it and i can tell you from first hand experience you wont have any problem hitting that 18 inch steel at 600 yards
i ring a 13 inch gong at that range all the time with mine
on a good day i can group around 7 inches at that range with mine
i have also mounted a browning soule type tang sight to mine
have had the chance to get out there with it yet but im sure its gonna be something
good luck with that buff i have had three of em and all of em were shooters
sureshot

Offline Andy_P

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »
Here's what I did.  I had a Mauser M71/84 parts gun lying around and removed the sight with base and took it to my gunsmith.  A bit of mill work (the curvature of the base needed to be opened up to match the larger barrel of the Buffalo Classic), and it soldered on like it belonged there - and it does.  It has a 100 yd leaf, another flip up leaf for 200 yds, and then the ladder takes you right up to 1600 yds!  No windage adjustment though.  The front sight is a bead.  It is now eligible for various matches and the Williams sights just were not right for it in looks or function.  The ejector was modified to be an ejector, and a 1/2" lead-filled copper pipe in the buttstock helps with recoil and balance.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
need a drop-in long range rear sight for your H&R buffalo classic?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
arguably, the best long range rear barrel sight for the H&R buffalo classic is still the smith wesson-harrington w/peep.  it's a no-brainer drop in retrofit.  i checked all around and NO ONE has one, it's been out of stock forever with no clue as to when they'll become available.  i got an email this morning from ron smith and just got off the phone with him. he machines these sights out of solid bar stock and offers them for $175/shipped in the USA.  he produces about 100 per year.  i ordered mine and he has but two left if yer interested, contact ron at 480-964-1818

NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
I merged your new topic with the existing FAQs topic on the same so it won't be lost in the archives.  ;)

Thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:53:49 AM »
He does have a few left and I just ordered mine.  ;)

I guess some people on other interweb sites get frustrated over the sporadic availability of these sights.   ::) ::) ::) ::)

- He's the last guy there at SE that can actually make them.

- These are hand deburred, hand marked and hand finished.

- High quality steel and screws.

- Plus the supply chain for quality steel right now is nuts.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: need a drop-in long range rear sight for your H&R buffalo classic?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
arguably, the best long range rear barrel sight for the H&R buffalo classic is still the smith wesson-harrington w/peep.  it's a no-brainer drop in retrofit.  i checked all around and NO ONE has one, it's been out of stock forever with no clue as to when they'll become available.  i got an email this morning from ron smith and just got off the phone with him. he machines these sights out of solid bar stock and offers them for $175/shipped in the USA.  he produces about 100 per year.  i ordered mine and he has but two left if yer interested, contact ron at 480-964-1818

yep and if you wonted windage get a remake of the old lyman no8 windage  beach front sight they are made by red river sights you can see them at buffalo arms.
Bernie :)
if its feral its in peril