Author Topic: Buffalo Classic Tang Sight  (Read 4672 times)

Offline BigBossMan

• Trade Count: (1)
    • http://www.whup-a-bug.com
Buffalo Classic Tang Sight
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:29:50 AM »
I honestly searched the topic prior to posting but did not find an answer.

I have a 45.70 H&R Buffalo classic and it does not have a tang sight.  Nothing by bare wood in that area.  I would like some advice or someone to point me in the right direction for installing a tang sight on this rifle.  I am after converting this simple rifle into an accurate 1000 yard target gun.

I have heard of carefully routing out the base plate area, using epoxy for inserting sleeves and then screwing the tang sight into the sleeves.  I am more concerned with the line up of the sight since I can envision a real nightmare trying to sight in the rifle if some sort of expertise is not applied to this operation.

Can someone please help me.
BigBossMan
Life SASS
Life NRA
Vietnam Era Vet

If God Be With Us, Who Can Be Against Us.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic Tang Sight
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:31:52 AM »
Welcome aboard!

I'll post this here as well for those that haven't see Handirifle's site....Lee Shaver installs a false tang to mount the sight to.

Tim

http://handirifle.com/articles/mybuffalo.htm

http://egunsmith.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »
hey pard
im in the process of doing that very same thing to miy bc
i got a nice browning bpcr tang sight from a pard on the wire
fortunately im a machinist and im gonna take my stock to work tomorrow and indicate it in to find dead center of the stock from side to side and im gonna just drill it for two wood screws
i have done this before to a bc that i used to own and it works good enough for me
i was worried abt the wood screws straight into the wrist being strong enough but like a gunsmith told me,
you use wood screws to hold your sling on your rifle and you swing the entire weight of the rifle on those screws
the tang sight wont have any load on it at all
the one i had before never moved and was very repeatable and very accurate out to 700 yards which was all the range we had availible
now with all that said i have seen lee shavers work on a bc and would highly recommend it to anyone who cant mount the sight thierself
good luck with yours and with what ever you decide to do

sureshot

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »
WOW!  Those rear sights are about 1/2 as long as the barrel!  That's got to be fun shooting.  Reminds me of the aircraft sights on my Arisaka 7.7.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:08:14 AM »
Howdy all, Quick, thanks for the reference.

I no longer have the BC but am seriously considering another.  They are just plain fun to shoot.

On the tang issue, I don't think it's the BEST setup, BUT it was accurate.  I talked to Lee Shaver (he did mine) in depth, over the phone about this before doing it.  He was very helpful and is a very knowledgable singshot riflesmith.  Lee and I agree the best setup is a sight on the barrel, but the next best is a welded tang, on the back of the receiver.  Then cut the inlet out of the stock.  You still have SOME variance, depending on how tight the breech closes, but it's a bit more stable then the wrist tang.

My current thinking is going more towards something like this

mounted on top of the barrel.  Still very period looking and should be very reliable and accurate.

Something like this from Brownells can be mounted right on the barrel too.

Here is the link.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12783

Not as nice as a peep, but workable.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:18:51 AM »
You're very welcome, Handi! ;)

The Smith long range sight is available with a mount that's made for the BC, Bernie has used it to 800yds with the now optional peep slider which will have to be ordered from Smith or Track of the Wolf.

To get the most out of any rear sight, you'll probably want to put a lower front sight on, they come with a .584" or .494" 17A sight, the .404" will add considerable range capability, Bernie has shot to 600 meters with the Williams FP sight.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,82250.msg503960.html#msg503960

Offline dodd3

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
 tim is correct with the .404 sight and the willliams fp sight i got 600 meters that was with black powder load's and an outher 150 meters to that if you use smokeless  powder.as far as a tang sight goes i think with any tip up action the rear sights are better mounted on the barrel, then if the action is a little loose then at least the sights are in line with each outher.with the smith sight i think if i was setting up for the first time now i would go with the .494 front sight this would  let me use the peep slide at shorter ranges like  a min setting of say 70/75 yards . for my money the smith sight is a very good sight for the buff classic very correct looking. the williams is a very good sight as well .
bernie :)
if its feral its in peril

Offline boommer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »
H I guys anybody tried this take your rear williams sight and shim it up to point that you then can slide your peep all the way down to the bottom  so when it's close to being bottom out you will be on at 100 yards  then you will pick up more elevation movment on
on your site I was going try this on my bc and my target model now that I got the loads worked out. any thoughts guys!!!

Offline dodd3

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »
boommer sounds like it is worth a try, let us no if you do it and how it went.
bernie ;)
if its feral its in peril

Offline jwisecarver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 03:10:39 PM »
Thanks for all the great information. I have decided to buy a Buffalo Classic. Now the waiting begins to find one.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 08:41:15 AM »
The Smith long range sight is available with a mount that's made for the BC, Bernie has used it to 800yds with the now optional peep slider which will have to be ordered from Smith or Track of the Wolf

I,ve been searching high and low.  Called TOTW and they say sold out discontinued.  Anybody have an idea of where to get one of those peep sliders.  I really like the looks of the Smith long range sight, but I would rather have the peep option.

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 09:18:45 AM »
I got my last peep slider direct from Smith, the first one that I got from TOTW had the hole drilled above center, so it looked like a notch instead of a peep to my eye, there wasn't enough material above the hole to center my view. So I emailed Smith and they eventually sent me a peep slider that wasn't defective. They are real big into military contracts and spend little time on their civilian commerce, so don't expect a quick response from them.

I still have that defective slider, I contemplated epoxying some sheet metal on it to make it usuable, if you want it, you can have it, you'll have to use the screw, spring and detent ball out of the notch slider as the replacement didn't come with them. ;)

Tim

http://www.smithenterprise.com/contact.html

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 02:25:29 AM »
Tim U are too kind,...

But I found the entire sight in Buffalo Arms catalog that came with my 17a sight.  I hope they still have in stock!

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 05:34:48 AM »
Give em a call, they didn't have the peep slider when I bought mine from them, and they wouldn't get one for me, their web site shows the slider that comes with it. :'(

Tim

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4191.htm