Author Topic: SAMCC Club gun plans  (Read 19916 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: SAMCC Club gun plans
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
 Okay here is the front transom and and the start of the cross pin locations.  The cross pins are all 1/8 brass rod through out the gun.  The transom cross pins are press fit.  All others are lose fit

Offline Double D

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 08:31:44 AM »
Cheek pins

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 11:17:52 AM »
The 7/16" vertical dimension for the rear cheek hole is illogical.  Also I'll bet the transom width is 1 7/8 instead of 2 7/8.

Also, is the transom inletted into the cheeks?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 04:55:18 PM »
Correction:  The vertical  dimension for the rear cheek cross pin hole is 11/16" not  7/16" .  The sketch has been corrected

Correction: The transom width is 1 7/8 instead of 2 7/8.

The transom is pinned onto the cheeks and will be covered in the assembly pictures.

It appears this thing was built  orignally in inch fractions and not decimals.

I am going to continue with the hole locations on the wooden parts before I move to the metal parts. George is nashing his teeth.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 09:00:43 PM »
George is gnashing his teeth.

Not so.  :-)  One of the nice things about CAD versus pencil and T-square is the ease of moving things around without destroying the work that remains OK.  You just set up a target point for a reference point and move everything that is in the wrong place to its correct place.  About the only thing that needs redoing is the dimensioning and the program does most of that work for you.

I should have complained about this dimension earlier but the 4" dimension for the rear hole also is illogical if the cheek is 6" long and the rear bottom flat is 2 1/4" long; must be more like 3 1/4" to 3 1/2".
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 02:24:45 AM »
THe  4inch dimension is correct, it's  the 6 inch dimension that is wrong it should be 6 1/2 inches.

Sketch corrected

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 06:40:56 AM »
I was just looking at the cheek dimensions image to correct the drawing and I noticed that the 1 is missing from the 1 9/16 dimension at the very top.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 08:12:55 AM »
Fixed!!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 07:21:23 PM »
Cheek drawing corrected to include vertical holes.  Transom, Elevation Screw and E.S. transom added here.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 05:41:06 AM »
Elevator and Elvator transom

Offline Double D

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 05:50:37 AM »
Time to locate some more cross pins rods. All cross pin rods in the gun are are made from 1/8 inch brass rod.  Drill holes to fit.

The rods  that hold the trunnions and front axles on are drilled at an angle and rods go  completely throught the cheek.  I would be more inclined to eliminate the these through rods and and use four long screws instead of two long rods per cheek.  The rods were threaded with a die.

A correction has again been made in the demensions in clubgunplan14.jpg andclubgunplan13 .   Measurements for the set of holes through the cheeks have been changed. 

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
It looks like the elevator transom has a raised boss surrounding the threaded hole.  It that true?  Do you think the handles are intentionally bent down or have gotten that way through use?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 06:38:19 PM »
George they soldered a thick piece of brass on the transon to give it enough thicknes for threads.  In the assembley instructions I am going to suggest soldering  a 1/4-20 nut on the bottom.

Yes the "handles",  small pieces of brass wire have ben bent over the years.

There are several things I would do differently if built this truck.  I would not notch the axles, I would notch the cheek for the axles. It would simplify assembley and I think would be stronger.

Next locate the axle holes and demension the hardware.

Offline Double D

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 06:14:15 PM »

Here are the axle holes.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 08:01:51 AM »
The 3/8 dimension on clubgunplan14 is clearly too small and it would help if the drawing is marked as to which end is which.  Also, we need overall dimensions for the rear axle.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2007, 12:03:46 AM »
George, corrections made including adding orientation..

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 09:30:58 PM »
I have corrected the cheek drawing and added the rear axle drawing with some of the dimensions now fitted part-to-part instead of from original measurement.  This barrel drawing is here; be sure to view it full size to read the dimensions.

GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2007, 08:37:21 PM »
Looking good George.  Do have a drwaing witheh the other muzzle flare?

Here are the drawings for the Axle brace. As we have discussed George,  in the PM's this thing ins not very precisley made---some much for German craftsmanship.  The holes should be aligned with the holes in the bottom of the Axle and cheeks and centered on the brace.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »
Do you have a drawing with the other muzzle flare?

The dimensioned barrel by itself is here.  The front axle brace and cap square are here.  Be sure to make the cap squares and the cheeks fit the trunnions you actually use on your barrel.  Those shown on these outline drawings are bigger than the ones on the dimensioned drawings.

... so much for German craftsmanship.

Must have been East German craftsmanship.

GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2007, 05:09:56 AM »
Cap squares-make four

Offline Double D

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2008, 07:23:39 AM »
It's time to finish this thread  up.

The gun truck is fastened togther with 9 cross bolts made of  1/8 inch brass rod. It appears that each rod was made to length to fit. then each end was threaded and a nut turned on.

Two rods go through each cheek top to bottom to hold the cap squares, On the bottom of the cheek one screw goes through the front axle  and the front of the axle brace. The rear screw goes through the front axle brace.

In the rear of the cheek, two rods go through each side of the cheeks and through the axle.  The rear most rod also holds the elevator transom.

Cross wise is one rod that goes across from the rear half of   one cheek to the other.  

In the front there  4   1 1/2 x 1/8 pins.  These 4 pins are press fit in holes on each side the cheek that align with  press fit holes in the  front transom.

When put to together width of the front transom and the rear transom create a draft that tapers front to the rear.  The notches cut in the rear axle will have to be fit to the cheek to match the angle.

Any questions?

Offline Double D

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 08:47:04 AM »
George has pointed out that I didn't post the notch details for the rear axle. Here goes.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2008, 11:06:23 AM »
The corrected rear axle drawing has been posted.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »
Rear axle  notch detail updated.

Offline Double D

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 07:22:41 PM »
I have been requested to gather all the drawings for this gun in one spot.  George did a great job working from my"dimensioned scans" to produce drawings. If you go throught this post and you find links to George's drawing.  George again thanks for all the work you did to produce those drawings.

To honor the request, I have gathered all the drawings together and posted them on my photo hosting site. Here is a link. SAMCC Plans  Once you get to the photo hosting sight, click on one of the drawing to open the slide show.  The click on the drawing again to see it full size.

The carriage to this gun appears to be the same carriage that is shown being built in "Building 18th Century Naval Artillery" the book discussed in Book for Cannon Model building

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2008, 09:07:20 AM »
Plan collection:

SAMCC barrel:  SAMCC Gun  (this barrel is muzzle heavy with the trunnions in the position shown in the drawing; they probably should be moved toward the muzzle a little; test the balance after turning and drilling and before locating them.)

SAMCC barrel w/32 pounder muzzle:  SAMCC Gun w/32 Pounder Muzzle

Trucks (wheels) and front axle:  SAMCC Truck

Cheek:  SAMCC Truck Cheek

Elevation screw and transom:  SAMCC Parts

Rear axle:  SAMCC Truck Rear Axle

Cap square and front axle brace:  SAMCC Truck Brace

It has been brought to my attention that there are no dimensions given for the trunnions on the barrel drawings so I went back to the .dwg files and measured and here they are:

Trunnion diameter = .625"

Distance between ends of trunnions = 3.235"

Another discrepancy has been found in that the groove in the cheeks for the trunnion is shown too small.  I will leave that to the builder to correct now that it has been pointed out.

EDIT: The drawings show the axles notched to fit cheek pieces. This leaves a very thin piece of wood on the end of the axle that will chip out.  It is suggested that the cheek piece be notched for axles instead, for greater strength.  D

I still have all the .dwg files for these drawings so if you would prefer to have the "real" drawings instead of the gifs I have posted for the forum, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward them.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
I just received another request for the .dwg files (AutoCAD drawings) for this project and emailed them to the requester.  For everyone's convenience, I am now posting them on my web site.  You can download them from gunneyg.info/drawings/SAMCCBarrel.dwg and gunneyg.info/drawings/SAMCCTruck.dwg.

These are drawing files which require a CAD program to display correctly.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 05:01:22 AM »
Thanks George.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2021, 10:14:06 PM »
New interest has been shown about this subject so the links for the drawings have all been updated and successfully tested.  A few of the images have yet to be rehosted but I do have the images and will add them to my web site soon.

The images are now hosted.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2021, 02:26:29 AM »
And once again, thank you George!