Author Topic: Book for cannon model builders  (Read 4088 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Book for cannon model builders
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »
I don't have the book, I guess it is just coming out.  I don't know anything more about it than you can see in this brief ad, so I can neither endorse nor critique it:

http://www.privateermedia.com/book1.htm

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Book for cannon model builders
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »
I think I should have that!

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:03:55 PM »
that email address they show in their website doesnt work for me ,
just got an message from hotmail telling the delivery failed
I tried twice

could you try DD and ask what it will cost delivered to sweden
and if they accept visa
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
 The website for this book was posted earlier in the day on 'The Company of Military Historians' forum and I tried to email the sales address given on the page when I first saw it. It may not be working yet because the book actually doesn't go on sale until the first of Nov..
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:52:40 PM »
clever man   ;D

it sure pay off to read all instructions first
now I will go to bed and try to install my new clock radio   ;D :o ??? :-[ :'(

we men never reads instructions first   ;D ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
clever man   ;D

now I will go to bed and try to install my new clock radio   ;D :o ??? :-[ :'(

we men never reads instructions first   ;D ;D

Speak for yourself, I always read instructions. :-*
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
clever man   ;D

I bought a new digital camera the other day. It has all sort of custom settings. So many, in fact, it came with three different manuals.

I have it set on 'auto'...

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
clever man   ;D

I bought a new digital camera the other day. It has all sort of custom settings. So many, in fact, it came with three different manuals.

I have it set on 'auto'...

That's surprising information, by the looks of your past posted pictures of your work I would have guessed that you read everything that came with the camera, including the serial no.. Your close-ups have a better clarity and crispness than most others I've seen on the board. MIne's set on auto and they just aint lookin' that good, what brand was the other camera?

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:04:34 AM »
The original camera is 6 megapixel HP Photosmart M537. It came as a bundle with a photo printer/dock. It really doesn't have a lot of user adjustable settings, but it does take good pictures.

It's also very easy to use. Just shoot, snap it on top of the printer, and print the photos. My wife likes this, she has little patience with gadgetry.

Unfortunately HP is getting out of the camera business. All of their DCs have been discontinued, and they're getting hard to find.

After one too many squabbles with the OL over who's turn it was to use the camera (she works at a day care center and takes it with her often), I got aggravated and went out and bought one of my own.

The new one is an 8 megapixel Canon PowerShot A580. Just about every setting on it can be user adjusted. And as I learn what all of the terminology means in realspeak, I'll be better able to comprehend the manuals. One for the camera itself, another for the software (which I won't use, I have my own), and yet another for the on-camera editing and direct printing (which I also won't use much).

For now I'll just let it do it's own thing.

BTW: The Canon has PictBridge, which lets it print directly to the HP photo printer. Works just like the HP camera except it uses a cable instead of the dock. I need to keep that little tidbit to myself, I can't afford to buy yet another camera...

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 11:37:28 AM »
Thanks for the info, I've got an Olympus SP-320 that I've had for a few weeks and I'm still picking up new things on it; I said I read instructions, (which may be a slight exageration) but I sure don't retain everything I read from the first go around.

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:21 AM »
BoomJ,

Does that Olympus use Xd type M chips?  I have a 2 GB Xd Type M chip.  I got it about two weeks ago only to find out my old 750 doesn't use type M. If you can use it drop me a PM with mailing info and I'll send it to you.

Has anybody been able to get through to that website yet to order the book?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »
It doesn't appear that they have a direct book sales web page.  They do have a page for selling their repro currency (http://www.privateermedia.com/Currency/order.htm) which probably could be used for ordering the book.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 01:35:03 PM »
BoomJ,

Does that Olympus use Xd type M chips?  I have a 2 GB Xd Type M chip.  I got it about two weeks ago only to find out my old 750 doesn't use type M. If you can use it drop me a PM with mailing info and I'll send it to you.

DD,

Yes it does, it came with 16MB to 1GB, hey, lucky on All Hallows Eve, maybe this is an omen, thanks very much, I'll send info on a PM.

No, I haven't tried again, I'm going to give it another shot on Mon. the 3rd.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »
FYI, This book is also listed on ebay. Item number 250317294102.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »
BoomJ,

DD,

Yes it does, it came with 16MB to 1GB, hey, lucky on All Hallows Eve, maybe this is an omen, thanks very much, I'll send info on a PM.

No, I haven't tried again, I'm going to give it another shot on Mon. the 3rd.

Actually, I have two of them, but one is still in the sealed packet and I was going to take that one back for a refund...with that I will buy this book.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 03:54:29 AM »
Douglas,

THANKS!

Boom J

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 06:52:02 AM »
The Olympus SP-320 looks like a great camera!

I passed over a couple of Olympus cameras (not in the same league with the SP-320) because of the xD memory. Not that there's anything wrong with xD, it's just that I'm pretty heavily commited to the SD format. I already have an assortment of cards, including four 2GB.

Offline Double D

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 07:52:19 AM »
All the photo's I have ever posted here have been taken with my little Olympus C-750 UZ.  I really like this camera.  I have a job to do in December and from the proceeds I am going to buy Nikon D90.  I'll keep my Olympus for field work. 

I like SLR for still work.  The D-movie features interests me.  Im not into cinematography like Cannonmn, but short movies of cannons are interesting. 

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »
is it anyone who have any experiance about panasonic lumix ??
I got an old hp r 707 photosmart , its an very god cam .
but now its time to buy something better .
the hp is only 5,1 mp and 3 x optic zoom .
now Ive seen panasonic lumix with 10+ mp and up to 18 x optic zoom ,
also taking video in full hd at 30 frames per second .
that must be the ultimate to have when taking an video of cannon firing
ok real high speed would of course be better , but what will it cost  :o

hope someone have some experiance from panasonics cameras .

there is 2 different models Im looking at for the moment .

first its the semi professional DMC - FZ28
10,1 MP AND 18 x OPTIC ZOOM  full hd 1280 X 720 , 30 frames per second
but the disadvantage is that its slightly to large to have in your pocket all the time .
Im afraid this one will be left home because of the size and just been taking it along when its an planned photo shoot

then we have the pocket model , DMC - TZ5  10 X optic zoom and 9,1 mp
also full hd video . very small in size and comfortable to always have it in the pocket

WHAT TO DO   ??? ::) ??? :o

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »

All the photo's I have ever posted here have been taken with my little Olympus C-750 UZ.  I really like this camera.  I have a job to do in December and from the proceeds I am going to buy Nikon D90.  I'll keep my Olympus for field work. 

I like SLR for still work.  The D-movie features interests me.  Im not into cinematography like Cannonmn, but short movies of cannons are interesting.

Terry, we've had a Kodak DX 3500 for many moons, I had to ask my wife exactly how long, and she said 7 years. Your quote above about sums it up, comparing the old Kodak and the new Olympus is like comparing night and day, I still can't believe how many different functions, settings, modes and even a language display choice there are to choose from, or set on, or set a timer for.

DD, if that was the Olympus that you were using in SA (specially the close-up for your avatar) then they must be good dig. cams., because the pics have a sharp clarity.
This SP-320 has a total video recording time of 36 seconds, which is more than enough for my needs. Now I'll be able to pick out still frames for those stop action flame out of the muzzle shots.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
This SP-320 has a total video recording time of 36 seconds, which is more than enough for my needs.

Will that increase with more memory?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
This SP-320 has a total video recording time of 36 seconds, which is more than enough for my needs.

Will that increase with more memory?

Yes it will, and this not exactly precise booklet (called the Basic Manual) I got with the camera really doesn't give all the info (at least not in detail) on the camera, so I'm going to send in for the Advanced Manual on cd-rom. The manual in one section says total recording time 00:36 for movies but that's only for one mode and there are four different recording modes for movies, so one of the modes that records less frames per sec. actually has a total recording time of 78 seconds. These times will increase with the 2GB card but I don't know how much, this info is not included in this Basic Manual.

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 06:39:52 PM »
Boom,

This picture,

Is actually cropped out of this picture,

And looks better this way,

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »
Yes, I like the way that the cascabel, breech-face and rope almost look like their being seen magnified, when you crop the picture.

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
There is another invaluable tool you should get to take pictures, a tripod.  

You will get some very sharp images when your camera is held on a tripod.  You can take some unsual angles lthat you might not normally be able to get.  Here is one of my dogs.  You can not point a camera at this dog close or he will move away and leave the room.

I just got a Bogen Manfrotto 3001 Professional Tripod With 3025 3-Way Head and was playing with all the cool features on it and noticed it was pointed at the dog laying on the couch next to me.  The C-750  was in auto mode.  The lighting is a single bare 100 watt incandescent overhead ceiling light.

So when you guys buy this Cannon builders books make sure you have a good tripod to take pictures of your builds.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 11:36:15 PM »
These times will increase with the 2GB card but I don't know how much, this info is not included in this Basic Manual.

I make videos with the same Canon S5IS that I used for all photos, and have a 4GB card in it that is supposed to give 1 hour of video recording, so a 2GB card in it would give 30 minutes at the particular default resolution and speed the camera comes with.  You can change those defaults if you diddle with the menues, but I haven't found the need for that yet.  The cost of those tiny postage-stamp sized memory cards has come way down in past few years, I think last time I looked at them in Costco you could get the 4GB card for $30 or so, and the 2GB was $20 or something close.  The only caution in shopping for the cards is to take the one that came with the camera to the store, since the various configurations of similar-but-incompatible cards have similar geeky model numbers that make no sense to gunners.  The makers think that putting "ZSB2C" on one type of card and "2ZCBS" on another will make it perfectly clear which one to buy for your camera.  That's what the geeks who work in the design and marketing offices of electronics companies do to you.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 12:30:59 AM »
I just bought 2 new memory cards   
1  was an 1 gb sd , payed $9
the other was an 8 gb sd card , payed $29,5 for that hughe card including an usb 2 adaptor for sd cards .
both prices did include shipping .
bought them on the swedish ebay auction site .
I use same site now to search for an new camera
2 auctions will end this evening, hopefully I have an better camera next week   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »
I've been taking a lot of pictures, and deleting them all, with the new camera. Just practicing.

Here are a couple I took for real. I bought this at a gunshow today. The camera was in manual mode, so I could adjust for the indoor lighting (a weak point with the HP camera), but some of the more arcane functions were still set to auto.

As with most of my photo links, you can click on the image to open a larger version:

The dealer, a commercial caster/reloader, said that as near as he can tell this brass mold would throw a .740" round ball, but admitted that he's never used it. He bought it as part of a lot of used equipment. I checked with my calipers and he's probably right, but the only way to tell for sure is to cast some balls with it.

He had no use for it, his business is based on high-production casting of only the most popular bullet styles. This oddball (pun) single-cavity mold doesn't fit into that scenario.

I got it for the princely sum of $5.

Oh no! Now I have to build a cannon for it!

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
Terry,

Looks like a perfect mould for a Micro Dictator.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 01:34:50 AM »
You can not point a camera at this dog close or he will move away and leave the room.

Get a cat, they like being photographed, or don't care, hard to tell which sometimes.

Only problem with ours is that they have very remarkable built-in "feed me" clocks.  They are set for 5:00 AM sharp and if we're not up and feeding them by 5:01, things start getting knocked off of nightstands, and other noisy things begin happening.  By 5:05 one of them will pounce on you and you either get up or continue to suffer, they will think of something worse to do.

Now with the time change, I can't figure out how to reset the cats, so exactly the same scene begins at 4:00 AM.  I think they'll be sleeping in the basement tonight.