Author Topic: Need a scope for the 45-70 please help.  (Read 11297 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Need a scope for the 45-70 please help.
« on: May 01, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
Ok I ordered the syenthic45-70. Now I need a scope to put on it. One that won't fall apart or shift poi With good eye relief. I can't spend a lot of money. A fixed 4 x would do fine but I can't find one on my budget. So what is the next option ? I can only spend about a 100.00 preferably less. This rifle will probably only be used once during the Ms. primitative season. Thanks !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Need a scope for the 45-70 please help.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:15:19 PM »
K6 Weaver......$130

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 02:24:19 PM »
Weaver K2-.5 $130 will hold up for sure, bright, clear and looks good on big bore.  It looks nice on my 44 Mag Trapper
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:42:44 PM »
CB

I had a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 on my 45/70 for over 300 rounds of some perty stout ammo with no problems what so ever , about $70 . leaves enough for a box of ammo .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
I have  Weaver K6. Clear and bright-----ideal for your application I would say.

Mc

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »

I have a 4X Red-field on my 45-70 , It is almost 35 yrs old, still working good.
 I don't think you can find them like it any more, If I did I buy another.
 Marv.

Offline hotrod0872

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »
cableas has one set for the hornaby leveroution bullets  dotted out to 300yards for $100.00 ;)

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
I've used shotgun scopes on a couple of my short range big bores for the added eye relief and have not had any trouble with them.  I have a 1.5-4.5 bushnell on a 450 marlin that has worked very well for me. 

Offline Coffee_Boy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 04:31:24 PM »
Are you sure the .45-70 qualifies as primative?  I would suggest a Red Dot for that application, but I must admit I haven't tried it.  I stuck with the open sights and they worked fine.  Have you tried using glow type sights?  Or just phosphorous on the front?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 04:52:33 PM »
38 cal and larger in an H&R/NEF qualifies in Mississippi's primitive season, there are numerous threads on it here. Red dots don't cut it on the 45-70, just ask Digger what he thinks of em!! ::)

Tim

http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10913

Offline MS Mule

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 05:54:45 PM »

As a fellow Mississippian with the same rifle you have chosen I recommend a Weaver K4. 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »

As Hotrod0872 said...if your going to use the Leverevolution ammo...why not get a scope that is regulated for it...I haven't used one of these..and don't know who makes it either..
but for $99 it doesn't look to bad..and Cabelas has alwasy had a good reputation for returns if something goes wrong with it..and you can always utilize the dots for any ammo you use..with practice anyways..

# Engineered for use with Hornady LeverEvolution ammo
# Calibrated by caliber to compensate for bullet drop out to 300 yards
# 5-1/2" eye-relief
# Waterproof, shockproof and fogproof
# 1/4-MOA click-adjustments for windage and elevation

These scopes are outfitted with Ballistic Glass Reticles specifically engineered for use with a particular Hornady LeverEvolution round. They're calibrated to compensate for bullet drop out to 300 yards and have an extra-long, 5-1/2" eye-relief that facilitates mounting on traditional lever-action rifles. All you need to do is sight in the main reticle for 100 yards, and then use the 200- and 300-yard horizontal lines to hold dead-on at those ranges. Combining our scopes with LeverEvolution ammo turns your .30-30, .444 or .45-70 into a big-game rifle capable of efficiently harvesting game out to 300 yards with proper practice. The scopes are waterproof, shockproof and fogproof with high-quality, multicoated lenses and 1/4-MOA click-adjustments for windage and elevation. Tubes are rugged, 1" machined aluminum. Our current offerings are scopes for use with LeverEvolution ammunition in .45-70 (modern rifles only) using a 325-grain bullet, .444 Marlin using a 265-grain bullet, and .30-30 Winchester using a 160-grain bullet.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/catalog/store-home.jsp?cm_re=store*topnav*shop

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 06:34:32 AM »
I have a 4x Nikon Buckmasters scope on my handi in 450 marlin (close enough gun for scope comparison).  It holds zero, and the price is right, but the 3.3" eye relief is short enough that I get hit in the face a lot with the 350gr hornady ammo.  I would prefer getting something with a 4" e.r.  If you are shooting factory ammo in 45-70, it should be a little more manageable and the 3.3" might work.
The other complaint I have is that the nikon has such a big rear bell on it that I had to use very tall scope rings.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 07:50:22 AM »

While not a scope..but..for someone wanting a cross hair and unlimited eye relief...and not needing any magnification...this might be just the ticket..

*  Tubeless design with 33mm reflex lens aperture provides a wide field of view
    * Multi-reticle (adjustable 4 different sized red dots) are installed
    * “A” Automatic Brightness Control setting
    * 1–6 manual brightness level adjustment
    * Parallax free
    * Unlimited eye-relief
    * Allen head screw type windage and elevation click adjustments with locking screw
    * Built-in integrated rail (Bow mount not included)
    * Very lightweight; waterproof and shockproof
    * Low power consumption
    * Obj. aperture: 33mm
    * F.O.V.: 15.7m @ 100m
    * 1 click: 1 moa (approximately 1″ at 100 yds, ½″ at 50 yds)
    * Reticle: 4 reticle patterns
    * Length: 3.25″
    * Weight: 4oz

Check them out here...http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MQS12233-turkey.html

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 07:53:46 AM »
I've been curious about the Cabela's Leverevolution scope, it looks a lot like a Banner, hadn't decided on a scope for the new .444, so I ordered one for it to check out. I saw a user review of it somewhere, but I can't find it, dunno where it was. :-\

Tim

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 11:05:53 AM »
Quick, have you had a chance to try one of those 2x Simmons from CDNN yet?  I'm thinking of trying one myself.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »
No, I haven't, got one mounted, but it hasn't been to the range yet. MSP has used them, in fact he just bought two more of em!! It's got plenty of eye relief and it's crystal clear, looks as good to my eye as my Weaver K2.5, but I can only guess about how durable it is.

Tim

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
Quick, you have convinced me. I will order the bushnell banner 1.5 x 4.5 x   Thanks to all who have contributed.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
I've been curious about the Cabela's Leverevolution scope, it looks a lot like a Banner, hadn't decided on a scope for the new .444, so I ordered one for it to check out. I saw a user review of it somewhere, but I can't find it, dunno where it was. :-\

Tim

That was a mistake, the Pine Ridge Leverevolution scope isn't worth half the money in my opinion, I tried to center the reticle using the mirror method and the elevation turrret bottomed out before I could get it close. The view thru the scope is clear edge to edge, but the field of view is poor, has a large black halo around it typical of cheap scopes it's going back for a refund!! >:(

Tim

Offline cobraa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 03:34:19 AM »
Hi im new to the forum i'm a mate of vk4ale Allans i live just up the road from him here in Australia.
wow thx for the input on that scope. it saved me time money and headache.

but id love to know whats the best scope in silver for the Marlin 336XLR 30-30 and the Marlin 1895XLR 45-70 for under $150usd
using the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo + maybe some +P ammo every now and again.

any input would be great as they are brand new rifles i need to get some scopes for them to shoot them in :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 06:05:27 AM »
Welcome aboard cobraa!! ;) The Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 would be a great choice for that price line, it's also available in silver, but if you went with matte, you can get it with the BDC reticle which is similar to the Cabelas scope.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2323

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=25131

Offline bearbeater

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
Hey
As 44man said the simmons 4x or 2 x diamond is it, clear and bright the eye relief is about 5 inches and the diamond is great for quick acquisition. for just shooting I also like it as well as hunting It gives the x hairs and a reference of where the bullet will be and is priced right.
Bearbeater
Thats the ups and downs of Aviation

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 02:07:15 PM »

Tim

That was a mistake, the Pine Ridge Leverevolution scope isn't worth half the money in my opinion, I tried to center the reticle using the mirror method and the elevation turrret bottomed out before I could get it close. The view thru the scope is clear edge to edge, but the field of view is poor, has a large black halo around it typical of cheap scopes it's going back for a refund!! >:(

Tim

Hey Tim. Thanks- I am glad someone was able to report on this scope, as it's one of those little unverified questions that will pop up every now and again. Shame though, it's not up to snuff :-\

-Aaron

Offline TRKYMAN

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:15 PM »
Been reading posts awhile, finally decided to jump in.

TRUGLO makes a scope for the 45-70 Gov't. It is a 3X9X44 scope. I don't think it is going to be available nationwide until this year. They were sold in MS last year.

I bought one (in Realtree) for my Camo H@R 45-70 and love it. The scope has 5 aiming points. (100,150,200,250,300 yds)

The BDC reticle is matched to Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr. Bullets.

Good clarity & clear field of view even when zoomed up to 9X. (It ain't no Monarch or VX-III) but for $130 it is the best scope I have seen in its range. Light gathering almost as good as my Swift.

I mounted the scope, sighted in and took it hunting. Did not get a chance at a deer but did manage to take a wild hog @ 100 yds. Bobcat @ <150 yds. & a Coyote @ 200 yds. BDC retcile worked fine. I never powered up past 5X on any of the shots. I've got 2 weeks left of hunting & I know something is gonna walk out @ 250 & 300 so I can see how the bullet operates at those distances.

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters....

Offline RLA

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 01:44:17 AM »
i found a used vari x II, like the eye relief.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 06:52:41 AM »

TRUGLO makes a scope for the 45-70 Gov't. It is a 3X9X44 scope. I don't think it is going to be available nationwide until this year. They were sold in MS last year.

I bought one (in Realtree) for my Camo H@R 45-70 and love it. The scope has 5 aiming points. (100,150,200,250,300 yds)

The BDC reticle is matched to Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr. Bullets.

When you use the BDC hold-over aiming points, do you have to have the zoom set at a particular setting?  As I recall, I remember reading the specs on a scope and they said that in order for the hold-over points to work correctly you had to have the zoom set to mid-range.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 07:09:35 AM »
Ok I ordered the syenthic45-70. Now I need a scope to put on it. One that won't fall apart or shift poi With good eye relief. I can't spend a lot of money. A fixed 4 x would do fine but I can't find one on my budget. So what is the next option ? I can only spend about a 100.00 preferably less. This rifle will probably only be used once during the Ms. primitative season. Thanks !

For your purposes, the Bushnell 1.5 x 4.5 that you selected should work out very well.  If it is a shotgun scope or has long eye relief you won't have to worry about getting hit with it with stiff loads.  I prefer low-power scopes, and my rule-of-thumb is that the scope should not cost more than the rifle, probably not even 1/2 as much.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 07:19:34 AM »
Country Boy bought the Bushnell scope last July, in fact he bought two, he liked it so much!! ;) It's always wise to check the date a thread was started.  ;D

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,122231.msg1098418686.html#msg1098418686

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 07:50:09 AM »
I prefer low-power scopes, and my rule-of-thumb is that the scope should not cost more than the rifle, probably not even 1/2 as much.

Yippeee  my rifles just appreciated in value if they are worth twice the scope price  :o
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"