Author Topic: Bushnell Banner: i rest my case!  (Read 4095 times)

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
Bushnell Banner: i rest my case!
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »
i ordered a Banner from one of our sponsors.   they allowed me to cancel it when they called me to say that there was a backorder on them.......of 'indeterminate' delay i guess you could say.   (in-de-ter-mi-nate!.......do you like that one?).   so i contacted another sponsor, SWFA, at riflescopes.com.   i ordered one there.    they did not call and did not offer a chance to cancel but they did say they'd get it out as soon as possible.

THE POINT:  the Bushnell Banner i ordered is the 3-9x40 with the IER (6" eye relief).   i guess they must be pretty popular if two of our sponsors don't have 'em.

i think people are catching on to why Banner's are mounted on Weatherby's Vanguard's in those hard-kicking magnum calibers included.

just my opinion,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Bushnell Banner: i rest my case!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:10:31 PM »
SWFA is NOT a GBO sponsor, hasn't been for a while, if you wondering why they have a banner running here, you'll have to ask Graybeard, there's a reason for it, but not because they're a sponsor. The sponsor list is on the GBO home page.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:12:05 PM »
Well, I’m hoping they’re a good scopes, I’m mounting one on my .243 this weekend, but believe the relief is about 4 inches on the one I’m mounting.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
Tim,

that's news to me.    i guess i did right starting with the opticzone.....but you know the rest of the story.

but there is one thing for sure: the opticzone people did call me by phone and did give me the option to cancel/backorder/or re-order another scope.    Excellent Service, i'd say.

take care,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 12:27:31 PM »
I have one that i use just to ring out new rifles , so far i thas held up to my 223 , 22-250 , 270 , 45/70 and now my 243 with out so much as a blip . I would say its a keeper .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »
In general Busnell products have served me well over the years.

But Ithis last spring while out gopher shooting I had my 17hrm resting on a bi-pod 13" it had a banner 6-18 on it I accidentally tipped it over.  Though the dirt was soft I ended up shooting 2 feet right and I could not adjust to correct it. I got through the summer shooting my 204 and 10/22T figuring that there is no way Bushnell CS would get the scope back in time. I put off sending in the scope till late November I ship in in and a day or two after I got delivery confirmation I call CS to ask for a ticket number, the lady tells me it will be 4-6 weeks till they open the box, oh' well I think to myself at least I was prepared for bad CS. So I put into my calendar a date to call back that is 6 weeks after the delivery date.

Fast forward to last week I am driving home after work thinking I have 2 more weeks till I can bug them, but when I get home there is a box with a brand new 6-18 scope in it. Three cheers for over delivering, hopefully this one is a llitle more durable.

The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »
after leaning a rifle against a tree and having it fall over a couple times....with negative results which were my fault.....i started mounting the scopes on my Handi's with Three Rings to strengthen the system and to reduce/eliminate flexing in the scope tube if i had one fall again.  ( it is done by SSK Industries on hard-kicking handguns to keep the scopes from flexing. )

it seems to have helped since then.

ss' 

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »
I have Banners on Handi's in .270, .30-30, .30-06 and .44 mag.  Each has performed as expected.  The .30-06 is the hardest recoiling Handi I have and the Banner has been on it since day one. I also have a bunch of other Bushnells from both ends of the spectrum.  I can't say anything negative about any of them.

Offline Survivor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 03:01:01 PM »
I'm buying a second one when I get my HAndi.  I like the head room of a 24x.  tone it back and know you've got it.  I like my guitars that way too.  Cars, trucks, speakers, calibers, hot sauce...etc.  Head room is good.  You should always be able to crank it up a little more. ;)

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 05:17:47 PM »
I bought my first Banner in 1965.  It served well, until #1 son, who can tear up and anvil with a rubber mallet, dropped it out of a John Deere cab tractor some time in the 1990s.  I use a Bushnell Sportsman, that's the really cheap one, on my .45-70 Handi.  I have Banners on my .22 Hornet and .223 Handis.  ;D

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 12:13:06 PM »
         until #1 son, who can tear up and anvil with a rubber mallet, dropped it out of a John Deere cab tractor some time in the 1990s. 

oh my gosh!!!! :o :o :o

i never heard that one!    i'm roflmao.....

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:35:40 AM »
I have a banner 4-12x40 AO on my Beeman 20 cal airrifle
it's a great scope... I have more expensive scopes on other rifles but the banner is a damned nice scope

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:30:44 PM »
where do u get these bushnell banner scopes and what do they cost???
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Grizzx2

• Tim's Mug Shot
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 01:47:56 PM »
...i started mounting the scopes on my Handi's with Three Rings to strengthen the system and to reduce/eliminate flexing in the scope tube if i had one fall again.  ( it is done by SSK Industries on hard-kicking handguns to keep the scopes from flexing. )

it seems to have helped since then.

ss' 
Redfield also makes a Supermag Mount. I stuck one on my .300 Win Mag. So far so good.

As far as Bushnell goes. Bought 3  2.5 X 10  Sportviews w/BDC in the mid 80's for me and some buds. Which I could buy 3 more. Mine's on my 7mm-08 hasn't disappointed me not one time.
Grizzx2

H&R 1871 B C                       
      H&R  .17 HMR                       
      Marlin Centennial 444             
      T/C Encore .300 Win Mag        
      T/C New Englander                
      T/C White Mountain Carbine

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 02:31:04 PM »
Here's what looks like a nice used scope for $69.  I imagine it has the same lifetime warranty as a new one, but you could ask The Optic Zone to make sure.  It's the same 4-12X 40 mm I have on my Hornet.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
Bushnell's "lifetime" warranty is only good for the original owner.

Tim

Bushnell Performance Optics guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

http://www.bushnell.com/resources/warranty%2Dinformation/

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 03:46:27 PM »
Tim,

Just because it was installed doesn't mean it's had an owner yet!   It could have been done in their shop and the prospective customer didn't like it. ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »
Paul, Jon's description says it's used! I don't think Jon and Tammy have a physical store, he's an internet dealer only.  ;)

Tim

Description: Used - Mounted with very slight ring marks. Scope has been tested with no problem. Very good condition.

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 04:31:10 PM »
All right, the same scope new, is only $95.  That's only $26 more than the used one, but is the warranty actually worth $26?  No one knows except the potential buyer.  ;D

Offline bigchuckie

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 05:01:36 AM »
A friend of mine has an old banner made in japan that he want to sell  shouldI buy it ?
, if god didnt want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 05:11:14 AM »
The Japan made Bushys are great scopes, well made, but don't have the modern coatings available today.

Tim

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 07:34:09 AM »
What's the difference between the banner and trophy besides price?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 07:49:13 AM »
One difference is the Banner is made in China, Trophy is made in the Philippines, not that in today's market, that has anything to do with it, Muellers are made in China too, but I'd rate them as good, if not better than anything I've used that's made in the Philippines to include the Simmons Whitetail Classic and Expedition which are also excellent optics for the money. ;)

Tim

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »
the Banners i've bought in the last two or three years are made in either Korea or the Phillipines, which is labelled on the bottom of the scope with a decal.    i've bought the 6" IER model and one of the other 3-9 power Banners and none were made in China.

i wouldn't want a scope from China because they are not a government that is really friendly to these United States.   

that is my studied opinion on what happens between us and them.

ss'   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
My latest Banner 1½-4½x32 isn't marked on the scope, but is marked "made in china" on the box. My older Banners were made in Korea, but I think that's a thing of the past.

Tim

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »
Being that the Handi is made here, too bad we don't have a completely 100% made American scope. (parts and assembly) My smith said my two VariX 3's have parts made out of the states as well. My Weavers are also made in Japan.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 12:50:22 PM »
My latest Banner 1½-4½x32 isn't marked on the scope, but is marked "made in china" on the box. My older Banners were made in Korea, but I think that's a thing of the past.

Tim

it's getting to be a little discouraging to think that we fought to save their hides from 1936 and 1937 (volunteers in P-40 Tomahawks, etc.) through WWII and they now pull what they pull in their dealings with us.   AND, we let them do it with our purchasing practices!

Offline Survivor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »
What bases and rings are you using on you Banners?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 02:48:26 PM »
Medium Burris Signature Zees almost exclusively, but I do have some low Warne and Leupold QRWs and one pair of PRWs.

Tim

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 02:55:05 PM »
I use Weaver rings on all of my scopes, with the newer ones having Quad Locks.  I don't think "Mediums" will work on mine, they all have "Highs" on them.