Author Topic: Ruger Black Hawk rear sight blade  (Read 655 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Ruger Black Hawk rear sight blade
« on: September 29, 2020, 05:37:12 AM »
Just in case anyone ever asks you if it's easy to replace the rear sight blade on a Ruger Black Hawk the answer is nope not really.

Some of you no doubt read my post a few days back where I took my Black Hawk convertible out to shoot and found the right had side of the rear sight missing. I still have no clue how or why it was broken but it's now all fixed up with a new blade.

On the surface the job was simple.

1. Take out the screw. Not an easy task alone as that screw is TINY and finding a screwdriver blade to fit wasn't easy. I had not long ago gotten a 4mm size bit set rather than quarter inch bit set by accident. Turns out that was a good thing as one of the bits was a perfect fit.

2. Pull out the old broken rear leaf. Again not all that easy. It seemed to hang up and didn't exactly want to come out but did.

3. Put in new sight blade. Again NOT easy. Perhaps I should have known or realized sooner there was a spring in there. With the spring in place the rear sight leaf doesn't really have room to fit. I solved this issue by finding a punch small enough to fit thru the screw hole to depress the spring while I inserted the blade and held down tightly on it while pulling back on the punch. This allowed the blade to fit into place with one end on the spring.

4. Put the screw back in. OK this wasn't all that difficult except it is TINY as I mentioned. Lighting wasn't great here at my desk where I was doing the job and I needed about four hands to hold the gun steady while doing all this work.

But start to finish once I had all the tools in place it was maybe a 15 minute job that prolly would have taken 2 minutes for someone who doesn't have 10 thumbs and arthritic hands to work with. Had I taken the job to a spot with better lighting that too would have speeded it up. Putting the gun in a vise in a well lighted place would have really helped. Lessons learned if I ever have to do this again.

Due to Ruger's excellent customer service the part needed came in just a very few days with no cost to me.

Now I just need to get it out to the range and sight the gun in with the load I'm gonna be using until I shoot up the rest of the 1014 rounds I loaded up that were too short to function in my semiauto .45acp guns. They work fine in the revolver and are pretty accurate, more so than this old man for sure.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
Re: Ruger Black Hawk rear sight blade
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:40:39 AM »
Know what ya mean about all those thumbs.  Durn arthritis in both hands has me re-thinking the future of my 1911--
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
Has me rethinking the future of most everything with any noticeable recoil. My last shooting session was with my rimfire handguns. That sure was a lot more pleasant a session than the one before it with centerfires.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 05:47:42 PM »
All thumbs, dropping stuff and why is there never enough light.  Getting old is no fun but it beats looking up at the grass ;)

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 03:25:28 AM »
I've been struggling with carpal tunnel and the aftermath of the surgery for it awhile now. I'm finally getting some use of the left hand back.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »
Used to be the thing to change
out the sights on BH's and SBH's
for the high visibility sights from
Brownell's (Millet ?)
I can't remember if it was just a
rear blade insert, or a set. I keep
thinking it was a set with a white
outline rear and a vertical line front
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
'bout 5 years ago an engineer/machinist friend made a batch of rear sight blades for blackhawks that are peep sight style. I was a little skeptical at first but it has proven to be a very easy, quick style of shooting.  Not as fast as instinctive pointing but much quicker than a standard notch/post.

JD
USAF Ret E6  1977-97 Civil Engineering
Desert Storm @ Doha, Qatar

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 11:27:04 PM »
if i would have done it the spring would have flown somewhere and id be waiting for parts.
blue lives matter

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »
Back in my silhouette shooting days, I recall one of the range masters occasionally picking up a rock and referring to it as a Ruger sight adjustment tool.
Aim small, miss small!!!