Author Topic: Just another primer carrier Idea  (Read 3563 times)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Just another primer carrier Idea
« on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:26 AM »

I took a 357max case & punched it thru a primer carrier then took a round file * opened up the hole just a little bit, cut
down the case & primed with a small rifle primer. The case is just tight enough that you have to press it into the carrier with a vise. Could be made looser very easily. Havent tried it yet. What do you guys think
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Just another primer carrier Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:47 AM »
I think I would have used a .38 special or .357 MAG case instead of the harder to get .357 MAX case  ::)

But it does look like a good idea.  Have you tried it yet?
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:55:52 AM »
The max cases were all I had on hand. I havent tried it yet

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:33:17 AM »
I reamed out a carrier for a .25 ACP, and was going to bore deep enough to use full length, however the plug does not have enough meat left in the flash hole. I also thought about shortening the cases, it would work but would also make a lot of work. If the flash hole was even just a quarter of an inch further forward in the plug, this mod could be easily done by just drilling the right size hole to the right depth. I have also considered drilling it out and installing a vent liner but this type of mod would be very time consuming and you would still be stuck with the same crappy breech plug.

Be careful with those shortened cases, if you don't have a well for the case to fit into, you will get some serious blowback. The problem with the open cartridge cases, is the space/chamber between the primer and the flash hole. The fire is not channeled directly into the powder charge, and therefore has room to cool off and stray off course. This is especially true with the Huntsman/Sidekick primer carriers and plugs.

I did a #11 conversion that worked well, using the old #11 nipples from the old orange Knight DISC rifle. These nipples slide into the business end of the carriers without any modification. They are easier to prime before sliding into the carriers, the firing pin will set them off, but blowback/carbon would migrate into the firing pin channel. I could only get a few shots before I would have to spray the carbon out to free up the firing pin. This method would work well for a hunting situation where very few shots are taken, but needs to be attended to at the range to keep the pin from locking up. But for states that do not allow 209's, this conversion would work.

Just be careful, you will get some serious gas venting out the tab slot, hope you are not left handed. I have already been down this road and have concluded there are much safer ways to do this. Good luck, and wear your safety glasses!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:50:12 AM »
I thought about the venting, If the case didnt go all the way thru the carrier. The flame would be directed better towards the hole.
I see what your thinking. All right back to the bench. This is why I havent tried it yet.  ;D

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:41:52 AM »
Here is a pic of my set-up, it's too bad there isn't just a little more meat for the flash hole, then it would only be a matter of boring the hole in the plug to the right diameter and depth. You could shorten the cases and make it work very easily, the carriers would probably last forever with this set-up.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:23:30 PM »
Busta what you have done is what I am gonna do when my 25acp drill bit gets here if you drill the flash hole out and tap it for a 5/16 fine thread bolt you can add the meat you need then just drill the flash hole again. In other words just plug the breech plug then drill the holes ya need. That's about the easiest way I see and still use full 25case. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »
PHATINJUN,

Do you have a .030" drill for the flash hole? I would think you would need to anneal the bolt, then drill it out, then harden it.

I also thought about setting the depth with a short set screw, drilling the flash hole, and opening the business end of the plug up a little.

I just bought a case of Blackhorn 209, so I will be trying it out in my .25 ACP plug and with the 209 primer carriers. What I would really like is a carrierless 209 breech plug and will as soon as Hubbard's tools up to make the 209 nipples.

This is what can happen with a progressive powder such as 80 grains of Black Mag '3 under a 460 grain conical and fiber gasket wad. I am afraid that i may end up in the same boat with the Blackhorn 209.

Winchester 209 primers, 80 grains BM'3, 460 gr No Excuses aftermath.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline jmg198

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »
What is the purpose of altering the breech plug? I have read of many people doing this type of thing, but I haven't read why? Thanks!

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 01:42:18 AM »
The short easy answer is to try and eliminate the blowback fouling and firing pin crud...also to be able to shoot the Blackhorn powder and eliminate the need for the orange primer holder. There is quite alot to read about all this in prior posts as this has been an ongoing test for at least a few yrs. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"