Author Topic: Carrying extra ammo  (Read 7718 times)

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Carrying extra ammo
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
What is your preference, for carrying extra ammo for our single shot
Handis? On you or on the rifle like a butt stock ammo pouch.
This is my first single shot rifle.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Carrying extra ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »
 I use elastic sleeves that hold five rounds that also have a built in zippered pouch that will hold a ten pack of rifle or pistol ammo.  The ones I use are velcro'd in place, I have zero tolerance for those cheap slip on models.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
I use those cheap slip on models for my .17 HMR, Ultra .223 and my 22-250.  Heavier cartridges don't work good in the sleeves, too much weight, and they are large enough to hang up on other things.  For the 30-06, and 45-70, I wear the Columbia Wool Jacket, or the heavy wool shirt, with the cartridge loops in the pockets. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
I too have used the cheap slip-on shell carriers for 30'06.  Not only do they hang on stuff but I always end up loosing cartridges if I dont keep an eye on them. They must hang on something or get pushed out while slung over my shoulder.

Besides, I have never needed more than one shot with my Handi!  ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
I usually carry 5 shells, I put them in each of the two front pockets, one in each front pockets of my coat/jacket and one in the gun. So either one I stick a hand in has ammo.  ;)

Then I like those MTM ammo wallets, they are thin, light and  quieter than a ammo box in my pack.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
I use the Allen nine round elastic butt stock holder on most and the Allen four round sling for some.  I have had no problems with hangups or lost ammo.  They hold even the tiny .32-20s and .38s.  All my rifles are slinged.  I cut a tiny slit in the bottom rear of the butt stock holder, singe the edges of the cut and slide it on so that the sling stud comes out the hole, replace the sling and it stays in place without squirming around.  My Savage 24 .357 Max/20 ga. will wear the Allen 5 round butt stock holder for the 20 and the 4 round sling for the Maxi.  It's in Texas now being reamed to Maxi, cut to 18.5 inches and threaded for choke tubes. ;)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 01:50:59 AM »
I use the cheap slip on ones on my .30-06 and .243my lever guns in .45 and .30-30 all wear custom leather buttstock shell holders and my .45-70 has a browning sling that holds 3 shells on it and I usually keep one in it so i take 4 to the woods and I have a leather ruger shell holder I wear on my belt for my 7 mag most of my others just sit in the gun cabinet anyway so I don't have any on them
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:55:53 AM »
I usually carry 5 shells, I put them in each of the two front pockets, one in each front pockets of my coat/jacket and one in the gun. So either one I stick a hand in has ammo.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.  I thought I was the only one.  My used .444 Handi came with a 9 round ammo sleeve.  Removed it before I ever even brought it into the house.  I use the separate pockets to keep them from "clinking".  Never thought of having it handy for a reload.  Just got back from hunting with my .30-30.  Had 1 in the rifle, one in each front shirt pocket and one in each front jeans pocket.  Great minds think alike.   ;D

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »
Although I don't shoot a Handi I do all my hunting with a single shot, (Encore). I bought a ammo holder made by TC that goes on your wrist and holds two rounds. I keep six more in an ammo wallet or sometimes in a leather cartridge holder I wear on my belt. The ammo wallet for deer hunting and the belt thing when hog hunting. With the one in the barrel that's the nine rounds that I keep with me while hunting. As was mentioned before all I've ever needed was the one in the rifle.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 02:22:36 AM »
I carry mine just like Pete does, hole in the sleeve and all. This happens to be my 44 Magnum with the Allen ammo sleeve. I also have a sling on when carrying in the field. The sling helps not only carry the rifle, but aids in off hand shooting as well, if you wrap your arm in the sling.

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 02:33:25 AM »
  I use one of these for my .223.  i removed the shell holder from the outside of the pouch.  it was velcroed on and use the zipper pouch for holding my ammo so i dont lose any.  but like a couple others said for fast reloads i keep a few cartridges in my pocket.

http://www.amazon.com/Butt-Stock-Cheek-Shotgun-Black/dp/B002RZ19G0

Offline Wagguy80

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
The camo I wear is like a sweatshirt and has front pouch where I keep my ammo.  I don't think I could reload fast enough for any type of follow up shot though.

Offline kennyd

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 02:46:45 AM »
I tried the slip on thing, but it is not LH friendly.  On my 45-70 I have a sling with 4 loops sewn in, keeps the rounds secure.  For the Others I either change slings out or keep a few rounds in a pocket or loops on my vest.  I am slow enough, that the quick second shot is improbable anyway, so I try for a good first.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 04:10:31 AM »
I'm going the Pete/LaOtto route.  That wrist holder looks like a good idea to me, going to have to pick one of those up.  When I hunted with my 870 I only loaded it with five and carried another box of slugs in my pack.  Most years have only been one or two shots fired.

As for a follow up shot, don't be so sure you cannot get one.  I have a buddy who has hunted with a Ultra Slug Hunter for years.  Six or seven years ago he had four does down and had the fifth in the cross hairs when he decided dealing with four would be enough for one day.  I couldn't believe anyone could do that with a single shot.  He said the deer didn't move and he just kept loading and shooting.  I had a similar situation but I only had two does down at once.  Not a normal outcome, but it does happen.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »
I'm LH and use ejectors, so I slip one shell between my two right hand forend grip fingers African style for the fast follow up which I've never needed, and carry extras in my pocket. 

I don't like handing things on the gun, but the sleeve means extra ammo with the gun always.  Cheap ones slip around and don't hold the shells firmly as noted.  Junk on the sling is not acceptable.

The belt wallet sounds like a good idea but under a jacket it's hard to get at and I don't like velcro sound.  Best way I found is put three in the watch pocket of my Levi jeans when I'm wearing them, but they can poke belly, remind you they're there.  I have things in my other pants pockets so that's not a good place.

Guess I'll have to get a shooting vest.  Anyway I've experienced the challenge also.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 04:25:55 AM »
I use the slip on also, with the big stuff (444,45/70,500) which is what I usually hunt with. They are fat, also have RIMS that help prevent slipping. Also as was shown in Petes picture, you need a hole in the sleeve for the sling stud to go through, that ensures that the sleeve does not slip forward. That is when it is more likely to be loose, turn on the stock, and drop ammo. I usually carry 7 in the 9 round sleeve, I really cant conceive of needing more.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 04:36:38 AM »
I keep 'em in my pocket. 

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:46:27 AM »
This the one I put on my belt. It's an Ebay item and very well made, in fact I just purchased another.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 05:25:19 AM »
Shooting left handed is no excuse not to use the Allen ammo holder. Just slip it on "backwards" or slide it around 180 degrees so the shell holders are on the other side. Back in the old days when I smoked, I burnt a hole through with a cigarette, now I heat up a 1/4" rod and burn it through. It melts the edges of the hole so that it does not fray. You can burn the hole where ever it suits your purpose. If you are left handed, put it so the loops are on your side and burn your hole through so it will stay put. As far as the ammunition falling out of them...for rimless cases, do not push them all the way through where the case body is through the loop. This leaves about 1/2" on a 30-06 above the loop, it makes it easier to pull out too. Look at the attached link to see how to position your cartridges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/230112/allen-buttstock-rifle-ammunition-carrier-9-round-elastic-black?cm_vc=1921BrandPopProd

See how not all of the neck can be seen.

Also do not store the ammunition in the loops, only carry them there when you are hunting, so the loops do not stretch out. And do not cheap out either, eventually they will wear out. They cost less than $7 each, when they wear out, toss them and buy a new one. If you do not need to carry 9, then put one in every other loop and carry 5. It makes it even easier to get them out.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »
I keep 'em in my pocket.
That's it,
I load my own and don't crimp, I have the stock sleeve on my 223 but the large cals are in a plastic MGM 9 shell CaseGard.
But a few in a easily accessable pocket can't be beat, Keep it Simple  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
One in the gun ,one in my hand and a few in a pocket. Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »
I keep 'em in my pocket.
That's it,
I load my own and don't crimp, I have the stock sleeve on my 223 but the large cals are in a plastic MGM 9 shell CaseGauge.
But a few in a easily accessable pocket can't be beat, Keep it Simple  ;)

I agree the ammo wallets are the "bomb" ;)

I used to use the leather wallets, but there cost and the requirement of removing the ammo to keep it from going "green" ;).  Less than 10$ a caliber is cheap and re
Rattle free storage!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »

I buy the Allen 9, because they are cheap and sold everywhere.
I cut it in half and singe it, to make two 4's out of it. Easy to slide on and off, or wear on your wrist.
Carry the plastic wallet in the backpack, then put 4 in the allen when I leave the car.
I added a thin strip of packing foam to the bullet end of the plastic wallet to eliminate rattling.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
I can't believe I am the only one who does it my way.  Yes, I have an allen carrier that I use occasionally but my favorite way is my this; My two favorite hunting shirts have been sewn with a couple of vertical seams in the breast pocket.  A horizontal seam at the appropriate place can keep your rounds at the correct depth for a quick retrival if needed, but my pockets have not needed this.  My 30-30 cases stick out less then 1/2" but that is plenty with the rimmed case.  Longer cases like 30-06 just stick out a little farther.  It's quick and simple and holds the rounds like your shirt pocket would hold a pen but the stitching is spaced for a snug fit.  One shirt holds two rounds the other 3.  I carry a couple more wrapped in my hankie (to keep them quiet) in a side pocket but the breast pocket rounds are the go-to ones. (I always re-load but haven't need a second shot)  I started doing this 30 years ago and it's still my favorite way to carry a quick extra round when hunting.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
as i rarely go hunting without a knife and handgun, i use a shell belt, i work with leather so i have caliber specific belts for each handi i own, married with shell loops for each handgun i carry with them
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
 I usually carry 2 in each front coat pocket. One extra goes in my left hand glove. I wear a jersey glove on the left and no glove on the right. Makes for quick retrieve. If I have time and see the deer coming from a distance, I will pull the round out of the glove and hold between my left fingers.

Lonny

Offline subdjoe

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
i use different ones depending on
the firearm and scenario.
ammo wallets-uncle mike's shell
carriers- wrist ammo holders- buttstock
ammo holder w/ & w/o cover- shirt
pocket
on occasion, i use a loose buttstock
carrier turned inside out to carry extra
rounds in a pocket. i don't usually carry
over 5 or six extra rounds unless i'm
hunting somewhere unfamiliar.
at my place, i'm liable as not to have
2 firearms at the time with maybe 2
or 3 extra rounds each.
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »
Marine, I have one of those on a Steyr M95 some where in the back of the gun safe.
I will give it a try.
Thanks

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:35 AM »
  I treat centerfires and rimfires differently.  I tried the elastic carriers, but perhaps I didn't get the right one, kept losing cartridges. I am not big on carrying a lot of "rounds at the ready" anyway..even on repeater centerfires, I rarely load more than 2 or 3.   When I do want a second one ready, for centerfire.. I will curl my left-hand little finger around a cartridge  (I'm a righty) rim between little and ring fingers..with bullet outwards .  For followup..I just bring my left hand off forestock and slide the cartridge in with my little finger contacting the barrel face.
  Really, there have been few times where a second shot is needed so quickly..except one time when being  over confident, I approached a "dead" buck without reloading..to see him regain his feet and run off!  ;) ;D (I wish we had a red-faced smiley)
        For rimfires, ..getting ready to fire, I usually slip one or two rounds between my lips on the left side..rim first, of course..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)