Author Topic: It is once again time to make a change at GBO.  (Read 72658 times)

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
It is once again time to make a change at GBO.
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:48:26 PM »
First let me say that the last 10 years have been great, we have seen GBO grow from a small site with only a handful of members to its current status of over 21k members. We thank each and every member who has contributed over the years and who has stuck with us through the good times and the bad. We have seen GBO grow beyond all of our expectations and it continues to grow still.

One of our servers is up for renewal and to be honest we can’t justify keeping the current set up. The traffic load from the GBO Network is increasing more and more.  So GB and I have decided that we are going to move in a direction that will allow us to offer more than ever before. We have decided to move away from “ dedicated hosting” to “a collocated server hosting” were by we own the servers and they are to our specs. I placed an order for 2 brand new HP ProLiant DL365 Servers, here are the specs:

Dual AMD Opteron™ Processor 2220 (2.8 GHz, 95 Watts)
HP 2GB REG PC2-5300 4x512MB 1Rank Memory
HP Smart Array E200i/64 Controller
HP 160GB Hot Plug SFF 2.5 SATA 5,400 rpm Hard Drive
HP 80GB Hot Plug SFF 2.5 SATA 5,400 rpm Hard Drive
2 Embedded NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Network Adapters
HP 1u Server 700w Hot Plug Power Supply
HP iLO Power Management Pack

We will be installing all the latest versions of software for the servers and they will mirror one another and also load balance as needed.

If purchased direct from HP this is $10k worth of servers. Although we did not pay that much we still paid out the nose for them. This year the hosting expenses will be far higher than ever before but next years will be cut in half. So in the end it really is the best thing we can do for GBO. This will also finally allow us to bring back several things such as Chat & the built in Search as well as offer new services such as VoIP, low cost shared hosting, online storage for backups and more.

You should only have to deal with withdrawals for a few hours once we make this change sometime in the next 2 weeks. It will depend on how fast they can get the servers to us; we configure them, and then ship them to our hosting company.

This is by far the biggest jump we have undertaken at GBO as far as our hosting is concerned. It has also drained the GBO budget and GB and I have to cover the difference to make this happen. But we feel in the long run it will more than pay for itself in savings. We are also going to do something that we rarely if have ever done and that is offer members the option to donate money to GBO to help cover some of the cost of the change over.

Over the years hundreds of members have offered donations to help cover expenses and GB & I have declined because that is what we have the advertising for. Well due to all the happenings as of late and the huge loss of Google revenue if ever there was a time GBO could use some member donations this is it. Now please those of you who get offended when asked to pay don’t, that is not what we are doing. We have already paid for the servers and are going to make the change no matter what because in the long run it is best. If you do not feel like you have gotten anything of value from GBO or feel that this type of information should be free, that’s fine. If you feel that GBO has helped you enough to donate then by all means do so. No one is expected to donate but anyone who does is very much appreciated.  GB and I are still talking over how to best do this and will post more soon.

Thanks
Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: It is once again time to make a change at GBO.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 11:03:13 PM »
Very good, Matt. 

It will be nice to have the search feature back.

I'll forward a contribution when you and GB work out the logistics. 

Many thanks for your efforts.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:39:52 AM »
Matt,  Could you please post some details on how/where members can send a donation?  Also, how about offering a little perk like all the other clubs offer such as a GBO ball cap or GBO T-shirt for a contribution of X amount?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »
As soon as details are worked out he will post them. I commented on your idea on another thread with same subject.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
My checkbook is developing a nervous twitch waiting for that info.  I've just had too many good times on the web site to pass up an opportunity to help out with some cash, I especially enjoyed getting a royal chewing from GB over that bear thing!!! ;D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 05:39:22 AM »
Matt has a little orange link button in the bottom middle of each page to donate via Pay Pal or the mailing address for checks or money orders is:

W. S. Graham
%Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
3015 Alabama Hwy. 204
Jacksonville, AL 36265-5506

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:50:17 AM »
i will chip in as well; it is the least i can do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
Funds in the mail!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
Me SwampThing dollars will be in mail tomorrow.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »
GB, the check is in the mail and if that one ain't no good I'll make you another one just like it!! :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 06:44:25 AM »
donation sent via paypal...you all know this is the site you like the most....
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
Funds sent by paypal,might swing more in a couple weeks.This is best site on the web,so help if you can even if  just $10 its the most you will ever get for youre money.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 02:16:42 PM »
funds sent. Maybe more later...
...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 08:24:16 PM »
First let me say thanks to all those who have donated to GBO. We are working on setting up the new member rank to show our appreciation for your donations. Also you will see perks when the new GBO services start coming online.

Just to give everyone an update the servers came in today. “FedEx-tra Careless” seems to have disregarded the handle with care sticker on the server boxes; one of the servers bezel and rack lock is broken as if dropped on its corner and weigh about 55lbs. I am going to fix the case and lock and my distributor is going to ship new hard drives just incase these are damaged. I will start installing the OS tomorrow for the other one that seems to have faired well in transit. Once both servers are up and running and have passed a 72 hour burn in we will ship them to Dallas and shortly after that make the transition to our new servers.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 09:16:38 AM »
Sorry to wait so long, but my dues has been sent in via that wonderful gun loving PayPal!

Brian
IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 12:35:47 PM »
That's fitting, that their services are used for providing support to a pro-gun site. :D

Tim

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 05:15:42 PM »
I love selling "Basket weaving Material" through them!

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 04:19:17 PM »
Couple bucks headed your way via paypal. couple more next payday.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:10 PM »
funds sent. Maybe more later...

Pills I notice you've still not been given credit for your donation. How did you send it? Via Pay Pal or check or what? If Pay Pal what e-mail address did you use. Matt has several that the e-mail addresses do not match any GBO member.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 05:50:27 PM »
I used my real name. I didn't give to get credit nor did I give enough to worry about...

...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 02:15:58 PM »
 How about a site benefit auction?
 I do not usually have a lot of cash,you know,them darned Nigerians are liars!,but I could donate items and pay shipping on them to the buyer.
 GB,I donated a Lyman #429421 hollow point mould and handles to the  Cast Boolits site in this way and it brought in more than I could have forked over on my own.
 What say ye?
 Jeff.
John 3:16

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 05:37:40 PM »
Matt is working on bringing back the auction site using new software. He was telling me just tonight that he has bought the software and is working on it. I think he said it was at www.gboreloaded.com/auction but I'd not wanna bet money on it. So sure it might be do able in the near future.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 05:51:41 PM »
Is their going to be firearms on the auction site?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
YUP.

Dunno what the final details will be but he was tossing out the idea of charging perhaps $2 to list your item up front and that would be the only cost. But nothing is final yet.

He's talking about a site or category (unclear to me which) for vehicles and even real estate sales as well. De boy thinks big at least.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 04:54:59 PM »
that is really exciting!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »
I wish you well in your efforts.  I've been in your position before and will offer some insight if you wish it.  Your own servers sound great, it is cheaper by far, and having two mirrored and load balanced servers sounds good too.  Years ago when Ebay was young a friend and I had several fairly successful picture hosting sights.  freepicturehosting.com made a lot of money when banners were hot, and pictureat.com and picture-at.com were our paid sights, one backed up the other.  Only problem with your own servers is that you end up being the smartest person that can deal with problems, if something breaks you are it, you cannot call the help line and get it fixed.  We chose to run two servers not mirrored and running different operating systems, one a hot backup for the other, if one fails (or is hacked) it takes a while to get the other on line, but it does come on.  If someone hacks one of identical mirrored load balanced computers you can assume both are hacked, databases are shared and mirrored, if one is hosed they will both end up that way, you are S.O.L and have two computers a thousand miles away to fix.  Have a plan on where to go and what to do when it happens and good luck.  Guess only time will tell.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
I'm a little late on the bandwagon, but this site has helped me tremendously with my hobby of handi rifles.  Since the snowmobile trails here are closed here for a while and I am sitting on my duff at the computer, I am going to forgo a few tanks of fuel and donate the $ instead to the site.  I am sorry for any complaints for the server being slow lately, I hope I can do my part in funding for more hardware or bandwidth.
Thanks for being a great site and a great group of people.

Offline frogjake

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
Hey guys,  just got back incountry I guess I missed alot of excitement.  GB I haven't been a member long but, I do enjoy your site alot.  Its nice to share thoughts with like minded folks.   I have some jobs lined up and I will be sure pass along a little green to help out with the new servers. 

Offline no.country

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 04:02:23 PM »
Post an address were offerings can be sent won't be huge but I can carry a  little bit of the load
Cheers no.country

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »
That's already been done, be sure to include your user name, it's been tough trying to marry up the donations to the contributor!!  ;)

thx,

Tim

Matt has a little white link button in the bottom middle of each page to donate via Pay Pal or the mailing address for checks or money orders is:

W. S. Graham
%Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
3015 Alabama Hwy. 204
Jacksonville, AL 36265-5506