Author Topic: Shotgun Adapters?  (Read 34643 times)

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Shotgun Adapters?
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
For those that own Pardner single shots but can't afford a new 357 mag or 44 mag barrel, have any of you thought of trying barrel adapters?  I know the accuracy won't match a long barrel but I have heard in other forums of 4" groups at 75 yards which is still minute of deer.  Might be fun for plinking using cat-sneeze loads.  At under $20 a pop it sounds like affordable fun. Other sizes also available 22LR, 22mag, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 9mm, etc. http://www.gunadapters.com/  Just thinking out loud.  ;)

20 ga. to 357 mag:
http://www.gunadapters.com/products/20-gauge-to-38%252d357-mag-.html

12 ga. to 357 mag:
http://www.gunadapters.com/products/12-gauge-to-38%252d357-Shotgun-adapter..html

12 ga. to 44 mag:
http://www.gunadapters.com/products/12-gauge-to-44-mag-shotgun-adapters.html
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Shotgun Adaptors?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
 Would probably be ok to put in your survival bag. As long as you expect accuracy of a snub nose single shot ;)

Just looked at the site again. Did you read the 1 review at the bottom.
  • It works like a charm, i ue a cut down cleaning rod to eject fired shells. Love it im gonna get one in 12 gauge.

Not sure I want to use a range rod for ejecting everytime. :(
Lonny

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
do these adapters  have rifling or just smooth? reckon a 357max would shoot in these also?
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »
 From the looks of the adapter, they are just long enough to fill the chamber. If they have rifling, it will not be much.

The Max probably would not work, unless you rechambered the adapter. But then again, I am only guessing.

Lonny

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 02:03:17 AM »
garbhead,

some of the adapters are rifled some are not.  Also the adapters can be found in different lengths, some are full barrel length rifled adapters and some are only chamber length w/o rifling.  I have seen others that are rifled and form a few inches to 8 to 10 inches in length.  Finding one is a hit or miss proposition.  This is a company, in Alaska IIRC, that makes a many different rifled inserts that are full length or almost full length but I have heard their shipping times are long.  There are older posts on this firm, someone probably will remember their website address. 

I have a unrifled, chamber length adapter that will let me shoot a 32 H&R Mag in my 30-06 Handi.  The "freebore" bullet jump to the rifling does nothing to help accuracy but it is fun to play with. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline tireman

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 02:58:37 AM »
Do you think it would be safe to get these and shoot 410 in old demaskus  barrel shot guns? thanks tireman

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 06:52:36 AM »
Would probably be ok to put in your survival bag. As long as you expect accuracy of a snub nose single shot ;)

Just looked at the site again. Did you read the 1 review at the bottom.
  • It works like a charm, i ue a cut down cleaning rod to eject fired shells. Love it im gonna get one in 12 gauge.

Not sure I want to use a range rod for ejecting everytime. :(
Lonny

The adapter has a rim so ejects just fine just like a shotgun case.  Afterwards you use a short rod provided to push the case out of the adapter but the video says usually the case will drop right out without the rod.

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 06:55:21 AM »
Here ya go: http://mcaceak.com/index.html

garbhead,

some of the adapters are rifled some are not.  Also the adapters can be found in different lengths, some are full barrel length rifled adapters and some are only chamber length w/o rifling.  I have seen others that are rifled and form a few inches to 8 to 10 inches in length.  Finding one is a hit or miss proposition.  This is a company, in Alaska IIRC, that makes a many different rifled inserts that are full length or almost full length but I have heard their shipping times are long.  There are older posts on this firm, someone probably will remember their website address. 

I have a unrifled, chamber length adapter that will let me shoot a 32 H&R Mag in my 30-06 Handi.  The "freebore" bullet jump to the rifling does nothing to help accuracy but it is fun to play with. 

BB

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »
Here ya go:  http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

garbhead,

BB

Thank you sir! 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »
I think those are a cool idea and alot easier to throw in your pack than an extra barrel too, i hike a fair distance into my hunting spots and the 20 gauge to 9mm adapter would be alot of fun if accuracy was decent, too bad they didn't make them with a 8-10" rifled barrel attached. I might have to contact them to see if shipping north of the border is possible.

Does anyone have a link to a company that makes one with a barrel attached?

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 04:09:20 AM »
I have a Dina Adapter in 12/.45acp.  It is about as short as the gunadapters one pictured above, but it IS rifled.
Surprising accuracy for such a short barrel, but just about 3" at 15 yards,  minute of bunny.
Lots of fun, good for training. Shoots pretty much to point of aim with bead sight.

https://www.dinaarms.com/

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 04:35:58 AM »
They look interesting, i just ordered one so i will post my range report after it arrives, if nothing else it will be a fun novelty to toy with when the hunting is slow.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 05:06:27 AM »
I have one that is chamber length for a 12 guage to 9mm. It works but I have not shot it for accuracy/group....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »
I got the 20 gauge to 9mm chamber size adapter, if it provides snub nose revolver accuracy i will be more than happy, I found the website for the guy in alaska who makes ones with longer barrels, he is asking $ 100 bucks for one with a barrel more than double the length of the average pistol barrel so im sure performance is much better than most pistols with his probably close to a dedicated handi rifle in those sepcific calibers. If i like the functionality of the one i bought when it arrives i might consider ordering one of the longer barrel models. Since i already have a 9mm pistol im not out much if it doesn't work very well and the thought of having both 20 gauge and 9mm pistol performance in the same single barrel shotgun sounds like a good time to me.

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
I emailed the company to inquire if the adapter beyond the chamber is rifled.  This was the reply I got:
"Howdy! No our adapters are not rifled but they are accurate out to 20 yards."
I'm anxious to hear field reports.  Thanks!

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »

Hello Gangiro:
  I have made 4 different adaptors for my SG's. 2 are rifle bbls and are over 16". A 30-06 for cast bullets and a 8mm for cast as well. I would not rec. hi pressure rifle loads at all. My 20ga, has a 357 insert but I only shoot 38"s in it, I put rifle sights on it for better aiming. The 12ga, also has a 45ACP insert and has a rifle sight also.
  On the 2 pistol cal's I used take off bbls. and threaded them into the chamber insert for a little better accuracy. They were mostly hobby projects and the pistol bbls. were in only fair condition to start with but are better than smooth bores. I chambered them close to the bbl. so as not to have too much jump before engaging the rifling but accuracy is fair with the old bbls. A old bbl is good stock to use for inserts as they are good steel and are already heat treated.
  If I were going to buy a insert I would buy the rifled ones. Put a O-Ring on the insert to stabilize it from movement in the SG bbl.
  They are fun to play with, I put a bbl. and ammo in the gun case pouch  for extra shooting when taking one of the SG's hunting or to the range. I use a chop-stick for case removal when needed. I do not carry centerfire ammo or inserts when hunting small game because it is illegal here.
  safety first
  HM

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »
The adapters Rio Grande posted are rifled.  If you go to the store, you can see the rifling at the end of them.  ;)

http://store.dinaarms.com/product_p/16ga45colt.htm
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
I never thought of 'chamber mates' in handgun calibers for a shotgun and found this intriguing, especially when the partially rifled adapters (Dina?) are $20. But then I asked myself - what for?  Only the 10" - 18"rifled adapters above will offer anything like accuracy at more than 10 yards, so it's not like having a combi-gun or Bergstutz for overlappping seasons, as in, "hey while I'm out here hunting grouse, I may as well shoot a deer". While that may be feasible with the 10" or 18" adapters, for their price, another handi barrel is a very viable alternative. What about dangerous game and/or people. Agreed, 1 oz of #7.5 is not a useful load in your 20 ga under such circumstances. But again, "oh, that bear is taking an overly keen interest in me. I shall insert my .357 adapter, find my pistol ammo, load my gun and fire before he eats me". Not. Well what about "because we can"?  Fair enough. That's a good enough reason for me.

But for the other reasons, wouldn't it be cheaper, easier and at least as effective to keep and carry a few Foster or Brenneke slugs "handi". One's theoretical dear becomes a realistic 40 yard possibility and both bears and bogeymen would have more to fear, methinks...
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
They are more or less a novelty, If my 9mm adapter ever arrives i will post how it performs, its a rifled one.

No doubt a 20 gauge slug of any kind offer's more performance than any of the pistol calibers , not anything in north america inside 50 yards a 20 gauge brenekke or similar wouldn't dispatch quite easily with a well placed shot in the vitals.

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 08:07:39 AM »
[/quote author=darkgael link=topic=249499.msg1099453340#msg1099453340 date=1326827057]
They are not all short. This one is quite accurate at 50 yards - given the sight on a shotgun. From McAce.
Pete

quote]

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:45:00 AM »
Wish someone would make one a bitty-bit offset (to fire rimfire) in .22 LR.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »
Wish someone would make one a bitty-bit offset (to fire rimfire) in .22 LR.

Ask and ye shall receive... ;D

http://store.dinaarms.com/product_p/20ga22lr.htm
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 01:38:24 AM »
Wow!  tallyho, I'm impressed and it's rifled too.  That post cost me 20 bucks.   :'(

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 06:15:47 AM »
... a small price to pay to have a wish come true. "Wish someone would make one a bitty-bit offset (to fire rimfire) in .22 LR."

;D ;D ;)
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 07:19:07 AM »
You can also find them on shotgunadapters.com and ebay.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »
I got a very pleasant surprise today when i got home from work. The mail carrier had delivered my 20 gauge to 9mm adapter. Mine is made by Dinaarms It has about 1.5 inchs of rifling. I haven't shot it yet and probably won't have time for a few more weeks to do any type of accuracy testing but my guess is snub nose revolver performance. It uses an o-ring to hold the case tight into the chamber and a small screw driver will be needed to removed the fired case from this adapter.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
Cool inform us of it's performance when time allows.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline bucken

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
I also received a Dinaarms 12 GA to 9 MM this weekend.  Description is just as Adam_R describes, but the "rifling" is very shallow and entire adapter is all-aluminum.  Not sure how well the "rifling" will hold up, or if it actually even does anything.  With that said, I placed it in a 26" Pardner, with an American Eagle 115 GR (range ammo) 9 MM, and took a shot at a leaf sticking out of the snow in the back yard.  Distance was about 20 yards.  Using only the front bead sight, I surprised myself by actually hitting the leaf!  I only fired the one shot.  Empty 9 MM case was easily pushed out, just using a wooden pencil.  Everything looked good, including primer indentation being just what you would expect.  There was no indication that the bullet ever touched the inside of the barrel, just minor powder residue.  Not bad for $20.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
Sweet 8)  Just noticed that another company that makes these is making some longer 9mm rifled ones.  ;)

http://www.gunadapters.com/12-guage-to-9mm-extended-length-rifled-adapter/

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »
Has anyone ever used Dinaarms.  They sure want to know a lot about me while not letting me know their phone number, address or anything at all.  It's "give me your credit card number"  I really want that .22 adaptor but they are very vaque about themselves.