Author Topic: Punch hinge pin out for GunKoting or not?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Punch hinge pin out for GunKoting or not?
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »
I've got 3 frames I need to re-finish. I'm going to use Brownells GunKote. I need to blast each frame with aluminum oxide, then degrease, then spray on the GunKote (it's similar to Duracote). I'm going to punch all the pins out and remove all the internal parts obviously. Should I punch out the hinge pin as well? Is it even possible to punch that pin out? I'm concerned about oils trapped in the splines of the hinge pin seeping out and ruining the finish as it cures.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Punch hinge pin out for GunKoting or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 07:17:48 AM »
You will end up with chipped paint around all the holes when you put the pins back in.  You will also end up with chipping around the breach and sides of the frame where the barrel closes.  Paint has no place on a gun, use a proper finish and things will be much better.  And yes, you can punch out the hinge pin just like all the other pins.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »
And yes, you can punch out the hinge pin just like all the other pins.   Larry

Just takes a lot more force, tough to do with a hammer and punch, it's splined on the left side as well, an arbor press works best particularly when installing.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:07:39 AM »
Well it's like this, I can either spend $275 +/- on having the frame color case hardened or spend roughly $75 per frame to GunKote them myself. Regardless of what some think YOU CANNOT BLUE these H-R frames. I've tried every darn brand out there and it does not work. I've talked to two reputable gunsmiths who have told me not to bother with re-bluing them as it will NOT work. So I'm left with a heat setting epoxy type finish, like GunKote.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:20:34 AM »
I've cold blued SB2 frames using Oxpho creme with excellent results, haven't done a cast iron frame tho, so maybe that's what you're working on. I think Belgian Blue would work on them too, I've done barrels with  excellent results. See Painting and Refinishing in the FAQs and the barrel work link below which has info on Belgian Blue. If it's a modern frame, H&R will refinish it too, that's always an option, check with Brian56.

Tim

Octagon Barrel Work

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
Was not aware that H-R would refinish them. Two are SB1 and one is a SB2. REALLY would like to get these frames refinished in some fashion soon as I need the rifles for coyote hunting and I need my UltraSlug back in operation.

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
If I removed the hinge pin I would index it somehow so to put back as it came out. I can't remember who it was that removed their's but they had problems until the got it back right.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
Ten Ring brings up a good point, reinstalling the pin in the same position is essential, otherwise the barrel won't fit the same as one member here learned the hard way, he had to send it back to H&R to be fitted again.

Gardner refinished frames and barrels, I suspect Ilion does too, I just don't know how much they charge now, it was $35 in 2007 as shown on the retail parts sheet below, you'd have to call Madison or PM Brian56 for current price and details.

Tim

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »
Maybe we should see if we can get an updated and detailed list like that only current!  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »
I asked the H&R/Marlin Brand manager who left in Dec 2009 for an updated version, not available, I don't think Remington has ever offered one.  :-\

Tim

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »
I would just leave the Hinge Pin in?  Why are you looking at $75 a piece to GunKote.  You can buy enough GunKote to do 3 complete guns for around $20.  I built my heat curing box out of Luan Plywood and a old toaster oven.  Wood doesn't start burning until about 600 degrees so it works just fine.  Harbor freight has a nice HVLP paint sprayer for about $25. 

Just some personal notes comparing GunKote and Duracoat.  I like the duracoat better on old pitted metal.  It seems to fill the imperfections better.  However, The GunKote seems tougher and stays on better. 

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
By the time I bought the smallest amount of aluminum oxide that I could find which is more than I'll ever use, ordered the GunKote, bought enough degreaser, some repair parts for my sand blaster, etc, etc, etc. I figured up the cost for these 3 frames to be about $75 each.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »
 Something about the heat treating really does make blueing hard to do on these frames.  I have roughed up the metal surface with a bead blaster and had better luck but the finish comes out flat black instead of blue.  I've blasted and parkerized a couple also but parko isn't a real attractive finish either.  As for your hinge pin, I'd suggest leaving it in place but would bake the oil out before trying to coat. 

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:51:19 PM »
All is well. I PM'ed Brian56 and yes H-R still refinishes frames. Solves my problem.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 01:00:54 PM »
   I've blasted and parkerized a couple also but parko isn't a real attractive finish either.

attractive is one thing... but durability is second to none  ;)
only way i wud go ina refinish project. my son has done several and they turned out excellent.

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
By the time I bought the smallest amount of aluminum oxide that I could find which is more than I'll ever use, ordered the GunKote, bought enough degreaser, some repair parts for my sand blaster, etc, etc, etc. I figured up the cost for these 3 frames to be about $75 each.

I know there directions say Aluminum Oxide at 40 PSI.  Honestly, In my opinion it doesn't seem to do much.  You could probably get the same results with plain sand.  For degreaser.  I use the cheap wal mart Carb Cleaner.  It works just fine.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
Ok, here's what Brian56 relayed to me-

Cost is $45 per frame
SB1's can only be refinished in blue or black oxide
SB2's can be refinished in color case hardnening or the same blue or black oxide as the SB1's
They high polish the frames and pins. This will cover most if not all pitting or other cosmetic issues.
You should send the barrel/barrels in with the frame to be refitted if needed as the process involves high temps and sometimes the barrels do not fit the frame correctly afterward. There is no additional charge for this. Turn around time is about 2 weeks.

Thought I'd pass this along for others to see if they need their frames refinished as well.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »
Buy a cheap parkerizing kit, sand blast it, no aluminum oxide or it will kill the parkerizing soulution, it will turn out great and only cost you about $10.00 each.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
Buy a cheap parkerizing kit, sand blast it, no aluminum oxide or it will kill the parkerizing soulution, it will turn out great and only cost you about $10.00 each.  Larry
;) ;D 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
Ok, here's what Brian56 relayed to me-

Cost is $30 per frame
SB1's can only be refinished in blue or black oxide
SB2's can be refinished in color case hardnening or the same blue or black oxide as the SB1's
They high polish the frames and pins. This will cover most if not all pitting or other cosmetic issues.
You should send the barrel/barrels in with the frame to be refitted if needed as the process involves high temps and sometimes the barrels do not fit the frame correctly afterward. There is no additional charge for this. Turn around time is about 2 weeks.

Thought I'd pass this along for others to see if they need their frames refinished as well.

Thanks for the info. I bet Tim adds this to the FAQ's.  :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
It was in the FAQs about 3hrs ago!  ;D H&R does barrels too, to a much finer finish than factory rifles, $20 each plus shipping and tax.

Tim

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »
I got a few I am going to give H&R a chance to make pretty. Sure would be cool if they came back with some very good deep original Remington bluing job some of those are still very nice many yrs later. Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"