Author Topic: OMG! The JOYS of factory Fitting!  (Read 2663 times)

Offline DukeInMaine

• Salty Dog
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Salty Dog
OMG! The JOYS of factory Fitting!
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:12:41 AM »
I'm the kind of guy who feels comfortable doing some things myself. Change the oil in the car. That sort of thing.

But when it comes to my guns, I always prefer to have any "gunsmithing" stuff done by the professionals. In my mind, I just want it done RIGHT.

I recently purchased my first Handi, a fine specimen in 45-70. Barrel fit great, etc.

However, I had a hankering for some additional barrels, and soon secured three:  .500 S&W Magnum, 270, and my favorite among them 45 LC carbine.

The 500 and the 45 LC were wobbly, and the 270 would not latch completely.

I read all of the FAQ's here, and many of the follow up threads, and saw that the shim method was the popular way to self-fix the wobbles, and some judicious filing was the way to fix the lock up issue, with possible shelf work. Well, I don't like the idea of shims on my gun. And, I was nervous about the filing/shelf stuff. I decided that for relatively short money (compared to my local gun smith, who quoted a much higher cost), I'd send the gun and barrels back to H&R for fitting. A quick re-confirmation with Brian here, and the gun was on it's way to Illion for fitting.

I included a note, with the nature of how the barrels currently fit, and an inquiry with regard to replacement of missing factory sights on a couple of the barrels. I was willing to pay for the replacement parts, let me know how much. That sort of thing. I shipped the gun, in pieces, off to H&R, and was very pleased when I got it back a week or so later, with all three barrels fitting perfectly. NO SHIMS!

Not only was all work done perfectly and professionally (and looking like they were an original set direct from the factory), the gunsmith had also replaced the missing factory sights, replaced a dinged up rail, updated some internal parts in the action, and test fired the gun to assure that I would be happy with the results.

HAPPY??  I was thrilled!!!!!

The bill was VERY reasonable, considering the extensiveness of what was done. I am so glad I made the decision to sent this in for this fitting. The process was simple and painless, the gunsmithing was done fast but precisely, and the gun was returned to me professionally packaged.

I have a sense that Brian somehow had a hand in how well this turned out, seeing as I checked with him in a PM about confirming what needed to be sent back. If that's true, then THANK YOU, Brian!!! Somebody there did an excellant job of it!

Look, if you have an accessory barrel(s), and want it done right and reasonable. . . . and have your gun fitted to your barrel(s) without shims or the slip of the file....... send it into the factory, and have them do it right. I have an heirloom rifle set that I would be proud to pass along to my son.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: OMG! The JOYS of factory Fitting!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:33:27 AM »
Another happy ending! Good to hear, sometimes people just post the unhappy things about their Handis. Thanks Duke.
thejanitor

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »
So if I'm reading this right you say you secured three additional barrels, which would mean you secured them not from the factory but from individuals so that would mean they were used barrels?

You sent back used barrels that fit loose, and the factory fitted them?

This I believe is a first!....Or am I wrong?
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline DukeInMaine

• Salty Dog
  • GBO Supporter
  • Salty Dog
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
You are correct. I purchased a used gun from one of the members here. It was in 45-70, which fit perfectly.

I bought a 45 LC carbine barrel (used) from another member here, and used 270 Rem and 500 S&W barrels from another member. Those three additional barrels did not fit the frame properly, as purchased from the members here.

I've read where some people just keep trading barrels until they find one that fits, or they shim them, etc. I didn't want to go through any of that. Instead, I opted to send the three used barrels I had back to them for fitting.

The factory was very happy to assist me with fitting the used barrels to my frame. I shipped them all three used barrels, and they fitted each one, perfectly. And, the best part is that they will fit them "the right way" without the use of any shims. They fit them the exact same way that they would fit a new accessory barrel. They're not only interested in fitting new barrels. They'll also fit used barrels! Great price, fast service. Perfect results.

It's the ONLY way I will deal with any additional used barrels in the future!

So if I'm reading this right you say you secured three additional barrels, which would mean you secured them not from the factory but from individuals so that would mean they were used barrels?

You sent back used barrels that fit loose, and the factory fitted them?

This I believe is a first!....Or am I wrong?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »
Ilion's service is really hard to beat, but this isn't a new policy for H&R in Ilion, there have been others that have had second hand barrels fitted in the past, Swampman was one of the first  I know of a couple years ago when he sent a used 45-70 barrel to be fitted to his frame(that I bought from him eventually!! 8)), there have been a few others, they will fit them if they can, but be aware they can't always fit them, if they can't, the only option is to replace the barrel since they don't shim and that's the only other option to fit a barrel that's been cut for a frame with nominal dimensions. If the barrel is too loose, IE the dimension from the underlug pivot to the barrel face is too short, the barrel has to be replaced, if that dimension is long enough, they can recut the pivot to fit just like they do on a new accessory barrel.

Tim

I shipped my NEF Nickle SB2 receiver and a .45-70 barrel to Remington on August 15th for fitting and a trigger pull adjustment.  It got to Remington on August 19th.

I sent it to the Remington facility in Ilion, New York.

I received it back today Sept. 4th.  The .45-70 barrel fits great!  Original barrel fits great!  Trigger feels much better! No damage to gun!  shipping box was a new styled Remington box. Gun was shot I believe, but not dirty.

Paper work only said "refit barrel, adjust trigger, test".

No charge
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »
H&R's factory service today is the best I have seen anywhere, anytime for any product.  It seems Remington built H&R's factory service staff around a nucleus of highly skilled master gunsmiths.  The fine work coming out these days is proof of their talent and pride in their trade.  Thank you Brian and all your co-workers.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline DukeInMaine

• Salty Dog
  • GBO Supporter
  • Salty Dog
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:43:51 AM »
I'm in the middle of moving, selling the house, selling off my stuff, etc.

But, I did manage to get to the range yesterday and do some shooting with the four barrels that I had the factory fit for me.

PERFECTION!!!

They fit perfectly. Shoot great (including the 45LC that I reamed out to handle the 454 casull). And, is the finest gunsmith work I have seen in a while.

Any of you who are contemplating fitting your own barrels. . . .  .

Sure, you might be able to do it on the cheap.

But for just a little money, why not have it done right????? I mean factory perfect!

You don't have to buy a new accessory barrel for the factory to fit them. You can send them a used barrel, and they'll do just as good a job with them!

I was happy when I saw the barrels come back. Now, after shooting them, I am thrilled all over again.

Thank you, whoever did the work!

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »
What did they charge per barrel to do this service?
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Brian56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »

The cost for fitting used barrels is the same as new ones, $25.00 per barrel.

Brian@Remington:
Brian@Remington

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »
 DukeInMaine
Congrats on getting er done. ;)

Brian56
  Thank you for all the help you have provided.

Lonny

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
I am curious how they tighten up a loose barrel without adding a shim  ???

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »
I am curious how they tighten up a loose barrel without adding a shim  ???

I think Tim was saying that they can't. They can only fit barrels that need some taken off the pivot or already fit. Right?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
If the barrel can't be fitted by making adjustments at the pivot or by fitting a new barrel catch, the barrel needs to be replaced which isn't included in the $25 fitting fee.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »
Last week,the12th I think, I sent my rcvr in for a new 35bbl and an additional transfer bar. Well, would you believe I got an E mail that the thing was shipped yesterday. All I can say is, Brian56 you are an asset to the company. He said he would take care of it and he did. Thank you Brian.

Jim  <")))><

PS     Hope this one shoots without FTF.       ;D

Offline DukeInMaine

• Salty Dog
  • GBO Supporter
  • Salty Dog
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 03:45:54 AM »
Two of my barrels were loose.

I'm not exactly sure how they were done, but there are NO SHIMS, and they lock up perfectly in the frame now.

And, yes, the $25 fee per barrel is the same as a new barrel.

Like I said, much nicer to have the real factory fitting for such little money.