Author Topic: Adding a Spacer to a Synthetic Forend  (Read 1561 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Adding a Spacer to a Synthetic Forend
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
The black checkered synthetic forend on my 260 Rem fits a little looser than I like so I decided to put a spacer on it so it can be shimmed with aluminum metal repair tape to fit better as needed. I removed the built in spacer on the belt sander using a machinists square on the tool rest to keep the face true, alternately sanding and test fitting until it was just snug on the rifle. The I contoured the back edge to match the spacer shape, put a bit of 380 Loctite on the mating surface and put it all together with the plan of using the holes in the spacer to position it for drilling. After the Loctite set up which is less than a couple minutes according to their spec sheet, I drilled it and installed the screws. After removing the screws I tried to remove the spacer, it won't come off even with several good whacks with a hammer and block of wood on the inside edge!  ::)  Fortunately, the forend fits just right, at least until it wears some.

So if anyone needs to repair a synthetic forend, BM 380 sticks to it real good, also, adding a spacer is a good way of repairing a synthetic forend that has the "legs" broken.  ;)

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6139/product/BLACK_MAX_ADHESIVE
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Black Max 380 Loctite on synthetic forend
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »
 Can't find the like button still.  Thanks for the tip Tim.

Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:17:19 PM »
Matt hasn't installed the bookmarking mod yet, hopefully some day, I'll put this in the FAQs tho.

I read some more on the Loctite website tech sheet, it looses strength as it gets warm down to 25% at 248º, so I heated it with a heat gun on 200º until my laser heat detector said it was 200º, it popped right off with a few good whacks. Now I can add shims if ever needed. The 380 has some impressive specs for superglue!!  :D

Tim

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0AC8330A-DDBA14F6/henkel_us/hs.xsl/full-product-list-7932.htm?countryCode=us&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=0000000I0R

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
Can you show us some pics of the forearm? I've thought about doing the same thing on a couple synthetic forearms.
Thanks.

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
Pic added to OP.

Tim