Author Topic: 22K Hornet Reamer for Rent  (Read 5181 times)

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
22K Hornet Reamer for Rent
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:31:33 AM »
A 22K hornet reamer will be available for rent . I am going to re-chamber both of my Handi's, then donate it to the GBO reamer rental.Same deal as the 357 Max . Tim is going to do all the Handling,scheduling,and shipping.(Thanks Tim)Please let him know if you want to be on the list.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
Re: 22K Hornet Reamer for Rent
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:54:35 AM »
Awesome! Kudos to you.

I would like to be on the list for one of my Hornets. :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:39:07 AM »
PM me your name and mailing address to get on the list.

Instructions that come with the Reamer:

There are good instructions in the FAQs, just never turn the reamer backwards, always turn it clockwise in the cutting direction and use lots of cutting oil, it doesn't hurt to remove the reamer every few turns to clean the cuttings off with a soft brush, and go slow keeping the reamer inline with the bore, mounted vertical in a bench vice is the easiest way to do that, don't use the ends of the reamer handle for torque, try to turn it from as near the center as possible, the last two I did I used a nut driver and a 3/8" square drive socket so I'm just twisting the reamer and I'm less likely to end up cutting an egg shaped chamber by too much side force. I have included a Max case so you can cut the chamber to the right depth, which is until the rim cutter just touches the existing rim cut of the chamber, you can coat the rim cut with a lipstick or whiteout typing correction fluid to show when the rim cutter touches, don’t ream any deeper or you’ll create excess headspace, please return the Max brass with the reamer for the next guy to use,

Please ship it back to me in a small flat rate priority box , cost will be a $5.80, be sure to use lots of tape to seal it up and include the original packing, some folks reuse the box, some use a new box, just depends on how it gets handled by the PO before they receive it. Include $20 cash, check, postal money order, all funds over my shipping cost from each rental will be donated to GBO.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
The reamer is ordered ;D. As soon as I get it I will ream my 2 hornets and send it to Tim
George
  it's where you hit em "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 01:22:27 PM »
Thanks George, Bill has given his approval, so it's a go.  ;) Seems to me there was a recent discussion on dies for the k-hornet, will the 22 hornet Lee collet die work with the k-hornet? Costs lots less than the K-hornet die, specially if ya already have one!!! ;D

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,261439.msg1099549925.html#msg1099549925

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »
I cannot say for sure but i know will work on other calibers (I use a lee collet die on my 25-06 IMP). I found a set of K dies on ebay for $15.00 so i snagged them up   ;D
  it's where you hit em "

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 01:26:49 AM »
Hey Jeepmann: very gracious of you. thank you. One question---what are you using for the rechamber donor. what size or caliber? I a thinkin' that I might be wantin' to try this.  God Bless to all.

GOF aka goofyoldfart

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:53:29 AM »
Hey Jeepmann: very gracious of you. thank you. One question---what are you using for the rechamber donor. what size or caliber? I a thinkin' that I might be wantin' to try this.  God Bless to all.

GOF aka goofyoldfart

This reamer is to hand ream a regular .22 Hornet to a .22 K Hornet.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:35 AM »
As Dave said I am going to rechamber my (2) 22 hornet handis .However this is a new Clymer reamer so it can be used as a finishing reamer for any  224 caliber blank then stubbed into the donor stub of your choice.
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Tommie D

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »
What is the shoulder angle on this K reamer ?
I'm looking for one with the original K 35 degree shoulder angle.

Edit: I missed the part about the reamer being a Clymer reamer. Their reamer has a 35 degree shoulder angle.  :)
FYI, Redding Dies are the only one's that I have found to have a 35 degree shoulder angle, so far any way.
RCBS and Hornady dies have a 40 degree shoulder angle. I had emailed several die and reamer manufacturers a few months back to find out this information.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
The reamer is in San Angelo ;D. As soon as I get mine done it will be mailed to Tim.Get your names on the list  ;D ;D ;D
George
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:35:55 PM »
  The shoulder angle hardly matters as it is soooooo small on the hornet case, Just fire form your cases then use your .22 hornet collet die . You have to make & use a spacer between the shell holder and the bottom of the collet die to prevent the newly formed shoulder of the case getting squeezed back to original hornet size (roughly) :-[ I don't recall the thickness of the spacer but  i will post it  when I can if anyone is interested.
  Don't try to get .223 Rem performance  from your  K hornet and you will get good case life , and have fun shooting for a minimum $ outlay.
          Who called me a tight a$$e ?

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »
Good info! I look forward to seeing what size the "spacer" needs to be to use my regular Hornet neck die.

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 01:41:21 AM »

Good info! I look forward to seeing what size the "spacer" needs to be to use my regular Hornet neck die.
                        The spacer can be made simply with a couple of flat washers super glued together. Outside diameter  20 mm or .750" , approx 3.5 mm or .140" thick with a inside diameter approx 8mm ,(lt should be a loose fit over the case and should sit flat on the shell holder .) I had to make a longer primer remover pin as well , the original was too short to push the primer clear.
    I hope this makes sense  ???    & is of some help to you all.
                   Garry     

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 06:56:10 AM »
Can you elaborate a little more on the shoulder angle? I have a set of hornady K Hornet dies that ( I think ) are 40 degree shoulder.Will I encounter problems if I rechamber with this reamer?  G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

NRA Life Member since '72

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »
If your dies are the 40 degree, just adjust them so they only size the neck. (adjust the die in your press with a nickel between the ram and the base of the die). Been using this trick for 40 years on full length die sets to only size the neck. No spacers or nothing exotic.just be sure and use only cases fired in the weapon you are reloadin for.
Tim has the reamer so jump in and join the K bunch :D
  it's where you hit em "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »
The reamer will ship tomorrow, dave29 is first on the list followed by gunther66.  ;)

Tim

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 03:16:52 AM »
If your dies are the 40 degree, just adjust them so they only size the neck. (adjust the die in your press with a nickel between the ram and the base of the die). Been using this trick for 40 years on full length die sets to only size the neck. No spacers or nothing exotic.just be sure and use only cases fired in the weapon you are reloadin for.
Tim has the reamer so jump in and join the K bunch :D
We are on the same page Jeepman , the end result is the same ( maybe I don't explain it too clearly). I did a K hornet conversion on my Handi  this afternoon , Hope the rain clears tomorrow so I can fire form some brass and start working up some loads .
           Cheers Gaz .

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »
The reamer arrived this afternoon.I now have a K Hornet.Job took an hour from start to finish.This wasn't as simple and easy as the max reaming job as more metal is removed and everything is sooo small for my tired old eyes. Did shoot it but only for function as it was dark. I will post if there is anything noteworthy.
Thanks to all. Ain't this a great site?  G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
Did I miss the price for renting the reamer?... also, I have some K's loaded up from years ago...if they're 40 degree (heck, I dunno.. :P, if it's past yesterday I can't remember) can I still shoot them in the 35 degree?  Like cram 'em in and go... ;D
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »
Said I would update if there was anything to report. It's all good. This is not the most accurate rifle I've shot but it is very consistent. almost boringly so. 15 consecutive shots into 1 1/8".  would have been 7/8" but the first shot was pulled which opened the group. Crows beware!  G66

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »
Did I miss the price for renting the reamer?...

As George stated in the opening post, details are in the 357Max reamer thread, cost is $20 plus any you wish to donate to GBO, PM me your name and mailing address, when I get to you, I'll ship the reamer to you,  return the reamer with the money when you're done, $5 covers my shipping cost, the rest goes to GBO.

Tim

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
I have the stainless Hornet.  I know the frame is nickle but I'm pretty sure the barrel is stainless. Will that make any difference in rechambering.  As I understand it, stainless is harder....?
thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
Elk Ridge states hardened barrels can't be rechambered without a carbide reamer, 4D says the same thing about chrome washed barrels, neither mentions stainless barrels.

Tim

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 02:29:45 AM »
To re-chamber a Stainless barrel, you need a lathe to turn the barrel with plenty of lubrication.Doing it by hand will leave chatter marks in the chamber. It also increases the risk of breaking the reamer and ruining the barrel as well!
My suggestion would be to find a good machine shop and have them do the re-chamber in a lathe but have them check the hardness before they chuck it up.
  it's where you hit em "

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:19 AM »
I guess take me off the list until I find a blue barrel just to be safe.  Don't want to ruin either a barrel or reamer.....or both. :(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:30 AM »
Ok, will do Joe, thanks George.  ;)

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
Fortvalley just returned the K-hornet reamer with a note that he learned Lee will make a die set for $65 if you send them two fired cases, or modify your Lee 22 Hornet dies for $15, a heck of a deal if you're on the fence because of die costs.  ;)

No one waiting on the list right now.

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
I have 2 K-Hornet rifles and I wouldn't hesitate to change any Hornet to a K-Hornet.  I have both RCBS and Hornady dies both have the same shoulder but I don't know what the angle is other than it matches my rifles.

Tony

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
I have 2 handguns and a rifle in 22 KH, I used a Clymer reamer and use RCBS dies.  The chamber and the dies match perfectly.  I've loaded some cases over 20 times. Great little cartridge. FWIW I've rechambered a bunch of barrels (both chrome moly and stainless) with my Clymer reamers with no problems.
H08