Author Topic: .22 K Hornet reamer, need new dies?  (Read 1536 times)

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
.22 K Hornet reamer, need new dies?
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
So if I rent the K Hornet reamer and convert my 9" twist H&R Hornet barrel I'll need new dies, right? I really like the Lee collet dies and shooting cast bullets. I have a 62 grain .22 mold. Am I onto something good here or spinning my wheels? How do you guys just barely neck size a .22 K Hornet? My current Hornet dies are regular RCBS. Maybe neck size the K brass and then a Lyman 'M' die?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: .22 K Hornet reamer, need new dies?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
I partially neck size with a Redding type "S" die for the 221 Fireball. I run it in and size about 3/4 of the neck length. The 221 Fireball and the 22 K Hornet are the same length. You can change the inserts to the size that will squeeze it down just the right amount. You may get different answers and this may not work for you, but it is what I do with decent results.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »
Several members here use the Lee collet dies on their Ack improved cartridges. I use a set of RCBS K hornet dies myself.The Redding S dies work very well also.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »
I'm going for it, what the heck? The idea will be to launch a 62 grain cast bullet at higher velocities from my H&R 9" twist barrel. I just got some LilGun to experiment with. My Savage M40 Hornet will remain standard so I can shoot the lighter bullets in it. Based on what I've read here (what a resource!) I can get custom collet dies made by Lee so that's a non issue now, other than the money anyway. Thanks for the input fellas.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:45:16 AM »
Be careful about the Lee Collet dies. Before I bought the Redding type "S" dies for the 221 Fireball, I sent in to get a custom Lee collet die for it. They returned my money and samples ans said that the 221 Fireball was too short. I owned a collet die for the 22 Hornet and it is the same length as the 221 Fireball. So is it too short or did they not want to mess with it? I Took the returned money and bought the Redding type "S" die with the money (almost the same).Maybe you will get a different result for the 22K Hornet. I really like the Lee collet dies too.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
Lee will modify your Hornet collet die to work for the K Hornet for $10.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,244222.msg1099405682.html#msg1099405682

No their not.  But.......you can send you collet die to Lee and they will modify it to K hornet. They charged me $10.00 including return shipping
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
Lee will modify your Hornet collet die to work for the K Hornet for $10.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,244222.msg1099405682.html#msg1099405682

No their not.  But.......you can send you collet die to Lee and they will modify it to K hornet. They charged me $10.00 including return shipping

yep, thats what i did for my m77-k.................... 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Sounds like I better get the reamer back int the mail pretty quick - I just finished reaming my brand new 22 Hornet barrel out to the K Hornet.  Only problem I have ran into is that I used some S&B brass and the decapping pin in my Redding dies set is to big for the flash hole.  I'm trying to find out if I can use a smaller pin right now. No answer back from them yet on that.  I shot 50 rounds of S&B 22 Hornet in my newly re-chambered barrel and didn't lose a single round until I went to reload them, then lost two right of the bat before I figured out what was going on. By the way, I used a spark plug socket for a reamer handle and it worked pretty good....

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
No rush, I have plenty of projects. When I get the custom collet die from Lee I'll have them make an extra mandrel that's oversized to accomodate the fat cast bullets, they are sized a tad over .225. I shoot about 50 cast bullets for every jacketed.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:32:18 AM »
I got a 4 set of lee hornet dies used.  Appears to be  the FL hornet, a factory crimp, the bullet seater and a collet die.  Per this thread I can send the collet die to Lee for mod to K hornet.  BUT, also per Monteria's reply in the referenced thread I don't need to, and can just neck size partially.  Now confused whether I REALLY need to send die or not.

Oh,  TTurner53, what cast bullet do you use in the hornet? Powder preference for cast?

Thanks
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:48:07 AM »
I'm trying lots of combinations in my Hornets. Haven't got too serious with it yet, an on and off thing. My most recent .22 mold buys were a Night Owl Ent. 62 gr. and a Ranch Dog 50 grain plain base. Using several powders, Bullseye, Unique, IMR 4227, and Lil Gun. The jury is still out on what is best. With cast bullets it depends a lot on how fast you want to push them.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »
When I send my collet die to Lee for K mod, do I need to send fireformed cases also?
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...