Author Topic: 45-70 BC Range Report  (Read 1370 times)

Offline tcoggins

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
45-70 BC Range Report
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
I finally took the 45-70 BC shooting today.  Chased the bullet holes around a bit, but it finally settled down.  Shot a three shot group at 100 yards that measured 1-1/4", but 6" low.  Adjusted the sights, and got a three shot group, centered, that measured 1-1/2". 

Shooting this thing is pretty awesome.  Love the recoil.  I was shooting Winchester 300 gr factory ammo.

Had an issue with light primer strikes on three cartridges.  Had to re-fire them, and they went off. Then shot 5 more rounds with no issues.  Doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with the action, because the last 5 shots were fine.  Could have been an ammo issue, or not pulling the trigger all the way.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: 45-70 BC Range Report
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
Congrats, that's pretty much what mine did out of the box too.  I've gotten down to .875" on several groups with my reloads.  ;)  Enjoy your BC.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 02:30:01 AM »
I had to file down the face of the extractor on my BC 45-70, now 45-120, to eliminate FTFs.  Once I removed a little bit of metal the spring in the extractor holds the case head against the face of the receiver and all is well.  I think it was Quick who used a belt sander for this modification but I would search the FAQs on this one as my memory ain't the best.

Nice shooting by the way.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:57:13 AM »
If it's in the FAQs, I couldn't find it, but it will be now!!  :-\ But excess headspace as the result of a too deep rim cut on rimmed chamberings will cause FTFs, as BB stated, modifying the extractor by removing material from the rear face of the extractor post so it doesn't stop against the breech face before it has removed the excess headspace, then shimming the front side of the post to hold the round against the breech face is an easy fix that most anyone can do, or send a factory fitted rifle to H&R for them to fix.

You can use solder or epoxy, maybe even one of the superglues like Loctite 380 to attach a shim to the front side of the post or just use an epoxy "pad" as an extractor stop that bottoms out in the extractor notch under the chamber. I used layers of furnace tape as a temporary shim to see how it worked the first time, once you have a shim in place, file it down until the shim is just thick enough that the extractor holds a round flush with the barrel face.

A better spot for a shim is on the very forward end of the extractor, this will provide maximum projection of the spent round out of the chamber on extraction as well as eliminating the excess headspace,  killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.  ;D

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,212110.msg1099133753.html#msg1099133753
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tcoggins

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:54:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Before I start tweaking the ejector, I think I will clean out the reciever.  On my .243 Handi, I sprayed out the reciever with brake cleaner, then sprayed in some Tri-Flow lubricant.  (Forgot I had done this).  Upon taking a closer look at the gun in the area of the barrel - reciever interface, I noticed some fine metal shavings.  I guess there is a possibility that these were monkeying up the works.

If this doesn't eliminate the FTF's, I'll take a look at the extractor.

Thanks for all the info, and the great website.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Be careful using any spray lubricant in the frame, lube on the latch and/or latch shelf is a sure fire way to ruin accuracy, they need to be clean and dry. I once made the mistake of spraying WD40 in the frame on my 30-30AI Handi after hunting a day in the rain, it took a while to get all the liquid out so it didn't run down onto the latch, this was a couple days later, it gets trapped between parts in there and doesn't dry, the latch being near the bottom ends up staying wet.  :'(  A better choice is a dry lube like Hornady One Shot or Elmer's Slide All, or a silicone spray, I think Remington makes one too, it can be removed from the latch and shelf with alcohol after the carrier evaporates.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tcoggins

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Thanks Tim.  I've used the Tri-Flow on my .243 with no problems, but I dry off the latch before shooting.  Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for keeping all of us in line.

Tim

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Sometimes with a heavy kicker it throws off the 'thought I pulled the trigger ALLL the way back' thing.
Kinda like the recoil has you going backwards so your trigger finger is slowed down or stayin forward like the coyote on the roadrunner show.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974