Author Topic: Simple Extractor Improvement  (Read 3406 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Simple Extractor Improvement
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
I've been thinking on this for quite a while, but never tried it, the new 6x45 is somewhat a pain to remove a spent round from the chamber, decided to do something about it!!  8) I checked the free movement of the extractor cam, by adding a temporary stack of aluminum furnace tape to the end of the extractor and came up with .033". Next I cut a piece of .035" feeler gauge blade to the same size as the end of the extractor and soft soldered it in place, it was just a tad too thick causing the extractor to extend beyond the barrel face, a little touch on the sanding belt( a file would work fine also) and it was perfectly flush with the barrel face. This extracts the case a bit farther out of the chamber making it a little easier to grab, I also flattened the leaf spring to reduce the pressure on the case head so it's easier to remove, although sometimes the post is a bit too high and may need to be honed down just a tad. This is something just about anyone can do to improve a factory extractor if you're the least bit handy.  ;) Epoxy or one of the Loctite "super glues" like Black Max 380 would work fine to attach the shim too.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Simple Extractor Improvement
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »
The Timified Extractor..........I like it! Soon as the sun goes down, I'm gonna fix a few of mine.

;D ;D

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »
Tim,

I think you are going to get a shipment of extractors from da U.P. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
I'd be glad to do it for anyone, but it's not hard to do with a propane torch and a vice as a heat sink to keep from annealing the business end of the extractor, it could be done with epoxy instead of solder, the hardest part was cutting that itty-bitty piece of metal to fit the end of the extractor, I used a dremel cutoff tool, then touched it up with a file.

Tim

Offline leserz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
 think a little JB weld would also work ? or do you think it would wear to easy ? how much more will it extend the cartridge out?

thanks for the tip

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 03:03:51 PM »
JB by itself would work fine, it may wear out eventually, but it could easily be replaced, it increases extraction travel about the same as the thickness of the shim that can be added, ~.030" farther than without it, maybe a bit more. I forgot to measure it before, the wife just refinished the kitchen floor, so I can't get to the basement, but I'll do some measuring later.

Tim

Offline leserz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:09:42 PM »
thanks again

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Tim, the wife just refinished the kitchen floor?...You are a man among men!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
Tim, the wife just refinished the kitchen floor?...You are a man among men!!!

It's probably to keep him Out of the basement!

;D ;D

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 06:08:50 PM »
Ok, I had another extractor for comparison, measured the difference, the amount of shim is exactly what it increase extraction by, .034" in this case, .159" to .193", doesn't sound like much, but it's a definite improvement.

The wife likes to redo the hardwood kitchen floor, so I aint' gonna keep her from enjoying it!!  ;D

Tim

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 03:21:26 AM »
Tim, send her over.  All my floors need refinishing again.  They're sort of unique.  It seems they made the floors from mill end scraps, so there's Maple, Oak and Birch in them in odd sized pieces.  I'd guess that was 100 years ago.  When we bought the house, everything was covered with glue down carpet.  I got Mohr Wood Floors in to take it out, get rid of the glue and refinish the hardwood.  Patty and I stayed at a motel for 3 days while it was done to escape the dust and fumes.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 06:42:26 AM »
To make this job a lot easier, find the thickness shim you need and solder it up. After it cools, trim off the excess around the edges.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:06:41 AM »
I just added the use of epoxy or a Loctite product to the original post to attach the shim, I used some Loctite Black Max 380 yesterday to attach a test shim to the bottom of a 223 ejector on LONGTOM's 225 Win barrel, once I installed it and tested it for function, I removed it so I could silver solder it in place, surprisingly it took some serious force to knock it off, first I tapped it with a hammer on a screwdriver, that didn't work, so I put the edge of a file on it and whacked it harder with a hammer.... twice....it took a second hit to knock it off, and this was within just a few minutes of attaching it!!  :o

Tim

Offline dwalk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
i just did the modification...i used a good epoxy.

i milled a 0.030" shim, epoxied it to the nose, took it down a trip on the Arkansas on the nose as well as on the sides. i also buffed off small burrs that were on the extractor causing marks on the extracted brass.

after the epoxy had set, i used jewelers files to get the final shape then went on the trip down the Arkansas.

now it travels farther, operates VERY smoothly.

so far, so good...

don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers