Author Topic: question for people who have rechambered their handis....  (Read 2429 times)

Offline miyata

• Trade Count: (0)
question for people who have rechambered their handis....
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
How did you change the cartridge stamp on the barrel???

Show a picture if you can   :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: question for people who have rechambered their handis....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »
I bought a set alpha and numeric steel stamps from SteelsStamps.com, they now have a combo set in stock tho. It's not easy to align the stamps to get a good finish, you also have to remove the existing stamp which I did with a fine dremel sanding drum. You can buy an alignment jig from Brownells or Midway, which may or may not work any better than the one I made out of some scrap plexi-glas C-clamped to the underlug. It's not easy to mark it well on a round barrel with a stamps that are flat, I tried a cheap set from Harbor Freight and Midway, they're both crap, some of the stamps aren't hardened, the barrel is harder and just flattens the end of the stamp!  ::)  I marked a barrel for Pete's 445SM that didn't come out too good, it was my first attempt tho.

Tim

http://steelstamps.com/standard-hand-stamps.html

EDIT: I've since made a marking fixture...  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,230862.msg1099292684.html#msg1099292684
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
A guy did a .357 mag to Max for me and just stamped an X over the G.  A friend did a .44 Mag to .445 Super Mag and took off all the lettering and replaced it with ".445 Super Mag", complete with re-blueing.  Tim'll be along soon to tell you how it's done, I'm sure.

Well, there ya go.  He's here and told ya :D ;D :D

Tim, ya butt head, it's perfect.  Don't believe this guy!!!  It came out just perfect.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »
You're too nice Pete, letting me practice on your stuff!!  :o ;D I do wish it had come out better tho.  ;)

Tim

Offline miyata

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
Thanks guys.

I thought about getting some stamps, but was a bit worried that if i hammered them too hard i'd somehow damage the chamber... is that possible?

The other thought i had was sort of etching using a stencil.

Btw, my first rechamber is on a stainless steel barrel.

phil

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:23:32 AM »
It came out just perfect.  If I knew my camera better, I'd post a picture.  You can "practice on my stuff" anytime.  Tim, you are a special person, and appreciated.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »
My 25-35:

My 454:

My 38-55:

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »
I like the idea of stamping the underlug, I think I'll do that instead of trying to correct the original marking and just X it out.

CW, did you use the frame edge as a guide on the 25-35?

Thanks Pete and CW.  ;)

Tim

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »
An end mill of the right dia. for the size lettering you want off makes a nice 'platform' for the re-stamp, but then, anyone with a mill already knows this. Just thought those who dont have one would like to know....
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
I like the idea of stamping the underlug, I think I'll do that instead of trying to correct the original marking and just X it out.

CW, did you use the frame edge as a guide on the 25-35?

Thanks Pete and CW.  ;)

Tim

Why yes I did Tim!!

I cannot seem to get them truly straight, so I do the underlugs. I was SUPER careful on the 25-35, It came out OK..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
Thanks CW, that's a great idea.

Hmmm, I have a mini-mill with lots of end mills, never thought about demilling the old marking and making a flat with it, thanks gcrank1!!  ;)

I'll have to try both ideas and see which combination I want to do, maybe with the guide I made and the flat milled, it will come out looking good too.

Tim

Offline miyata

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but do you mean machining a flat section to take the new cartridge identification?  Could a machinist also machine off the old stamps?  I don't have any of this gear, so I don't really understand what's possible, or appropriate.... but I could probably find someone if I know what to ask for.

Thanks for all the pics too.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
Yes, thats essentially it. The barrel is jigged up and the end mill machines off the now incorrect info, leaving you with a nice flat to re-stamp. The H&Rs are kind of deep, though. A little careful round file work can radius the ends to meet the barrel for a more pleasing rounded transition.
Hand stamping is best achieved with the stamps in a holder to keep in line, but too many characters or numbers can be tough as the impact gets spread out over all of them. A straight guide clamped up can help you keep individual stamps in line. If you try it freehand you will do OK until you dont. Practice on some mild steel first will help. And no, it wont hurt the chamber.
BTW, once you have the stamp held in place, dont watch the stamp end as you hit it, watch the top where you really want the hammer to hit. As you come down on it do so in an arc that if it mis-strikes it will not hit the barrel (or pad up everything, including a glove, to be safe.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974