Author Topic: How often do used barrels fit without modification?  (Read 14738 times)

Offline dross80

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
How often do used barrels fit without modification?
« on: December 30, 2009, 07:05:03 AM »
Just curious - is it fairly common for a barrel to fit another rcvr without having to modify?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: How often do barrels fit without modification?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:11:58 AM »
When I was buying multi barrels for one receiver. I have four or five that had multi barrels, I was fairly certain to have at least one drop right on. (Now I prefer dedicated receivers.) I would say maybe 50% of the time if I was guessing.

Fitting is easy and outlined in the FAQ's. If your buying one and it doesn't fit, post up, we will help!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kwells2006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:07:05 AM »
the last few barrels for me just dropped right in
"None shall pass!!!"

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »
I'd hazzard a guess at about 75% to 90% of the time.  At least in my experience, but that's having some frames to swap around to see who fits best.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »
Depends how picky you are. A lot will lock up but do you care about side to side knocking, ease of release, smoking the shelf and how it shoots?

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:57:50 PM »
I have gotten about 12 barrels used. About 9 kinda fit one receiver. Got so I would trade away barrels if they fit that receiver.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:07:25 PM »
A good example,
 Today I received a barrel in the mail. I put it on the receiver and it "fit", but needed some adjustment. After three or four closing/opening operations I could see that the latch was hitting one side more then the other. Closer examination showed that the latch shelf has received a hard bang to one corner. Moving the steel up for about 1/16" area surrounding the impact point. I carefully mounted the barrel in the vise and hit the shelf with a file. CAREFULLY stroking in a even, square pass so as to only remove steel from where it is "proud" of the remainder of the shelf. Once the bluing is evenly removed so the shelf is parallel, level and perfectly flat. I removed, blew off the barrel and again attempted lock-up on the received. It was better, but still needed some more adjustment. This is now done with a soft stone as I do not Ned to remove very much material. All the while taking care to keep that shelf square to the latch itself. Shown by dykem applied to the shelf and opening/closing the gun a couple times. this can also be dome with a sharpie marker.

Now I have a nicely fitting barrel. it closes with a pleasant and solid clunk. This is a good example because yes it did fit, but needed just a bit of fitting to make it perfect.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline peternap

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
Depends how picky you are. A lot will lock up but do you care about side to side knocking, ease of release, smoking the shelf and how it shoots?

I agree completely. I don't have as much experience as some of the others here but out of 10 barrels, 1 was what I consider a perfect fit, 2 wouldn't lock up at all and 7 needed some fitting to be where I was happy with them.

Ironically, one that locked up but I did a fair amount of work to, was factory fitted to that frame.

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
I have a Topper 88 Youth 20 built in 1980, a Target 38-55 that is about 3 years old, and a 20 gauge barrel acquired from E-Bay.  Last Sunday I tried the 20 barrel on the Target and the 88.  It would not close fully on either one.  The barrel from the 88 fit on the Target and locked up tight.  I fired one round through it in order to get a stuck shell out of the barrel.  A 1 ounce load has plenty of recoil when fired one handed.

Offline Bullshop Junior

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Muscle maker....
    • Bullshop Custom Cast Boolits
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »
I have had 2 Pardner 12ga, 2 Handi SB2 243, 1 Mod #157 30/30, annd one huntsman 58 cal ML. When I had them all at the same time, I tried all of the barrels on one of the 243 receivers, and the 30/30 receiver, and they all fit just fine. I hope the 44 Mag barrel I just ordered fits the one frame that I have left.
"Never argue with some one dumber then you" - Mark Twain

Стрелок пули бросания

BIC Daniel

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »
when trying other barrels on a receiver, what all needs to be checked? I got one yesterday and tried it on my receiver. it fit great, locked up tight, no wobble, opened good and ejected the shell just like my factory barrel. It looked perfect to me.... any thing else I should be aware of?  ???
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: How often do used barrels fit without modification?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 06:48:33 AM »
After reading discussions about barrel fitting, I was curious about my 2 Handis, a .44 mag and a .357 reamed to max. So I checked them out a couple of hours ago and either barrel fits on either frame and locks up tight, with no movement.

I could detect no difference in the fit of either.

Offline petvetdoc

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
Fitting is easy and outlined in the FAQ's.
Can someone post a link to this topic in the FAQ"s for a website challenged fellow such as myself, please?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
Just go to the FAQs and Help sticky which is below this topic in the brown section, scroll down to BARREL FITTING. You can also search for any word in the FAQs, or on any page using the  Ctrl f page search option which is explained at the top of the FAQs page.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,82412.msg504758.html#msg504758
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tennhillbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »
 Will an "ultra" barrel fit a "handi rifle?? Aren't they the same?  I have a 22-250 handi. All I can find in a .223 or .308 heavy sre ultras.
If your gonna be stupid, you had better be tough.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Yes!  ;)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
I've taken both bbl and action into pawn shops to test on-the-rifle the fit of a barrel or action I wanted.

;)

Often cheaper than a factory barrel.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Trey45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Boolit Addict
    • Cast Boolits
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 10:11:59 AM »
I have owned an H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70 for quite some time. On another forum a man had a Buffalo Classic 38-55 for sale that came with 2 factory fit extra barrels, 30WCF and 45-70. I bought it. All 3 barrels fit the Buffalo Classic I had, and the barrel to my BC fit the new receiver. That's 100% for me in my limited experience.

As an aside, the 38-55 BC I bought must have been one of the few good ones, no chamber reaming required. I'm sizing my cast bullets to .3805 and loading them in 2.125" Star Line 38-55 brass.
Give us this day our daily lead

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Just received a 20 ga barrel from one of the folks here, and it seems to lock up tight, no play, no gaps.  It kicks an empty out with no problem.  I am happy!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 03:04:20 AM »
I just bought a used 223 barrel that has had some heavy handed "fitting" work.

Since I wanted to practice fitting, I am not that disappointed, (although the condition was not disclosed before the sale). There  is no bluing left on the pivot point, so I suspect that it has been worked on. The latch shelf is no longer flat. The barrel does not latch. The gap between the barrel and the frame looks square, but it is greater than .010

The "brinneling" on the under side of the latch extension is greater than it is on my other barrels.

The face of the underside of the latch shelf is .244 (a).  On my other barrels it ranges from .236 to .240

My thinking is that I can square the latch shelf and take it down to where the barrel does latch. Then shim the pivot point to fit.
It seems like the alternative is to use it for a fishing weight, since I wouldn't want to drop it on anyone else.

Comments, cautions, concerns?

Modified  Aha!?! It dawned on me that if the under side of the latch shelf is the problem then when I push the barrel back in the action the alignment will get screwed up.  So I put in a test shim and held the action closed.

Looks to me like I should start on the under side of the latch shelf. Any expert suggestions?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 06:03:59 AM »
The barrel fitting info in the FAQs has a couple fixes for an overworked latch shelf.  ;) There's never any bluing on a fitted barrel pivot, just the hinge pin, the bluing is ground away from the underlug pivot when they fit the barrel at the factory and not reblued.  You can get an idea of the wear on a used gun by the bluing wear on the hinge pin and the breech face wear from the ejector/extractor.

Tim

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »

This drawing by Necchi shows a problem like what I'm having, but...

As I see it, his drawing does not include the shelf where my problem (and his) is occurring.
He isn't getting contact there, and I'm getting it too soon.

If I shim at the pivot pin, my barrel is forced back and up.
As I see it I need to shim at the pivot pin, and take material off of the under side of the latching shelf until I get a squared up fit before I start on the latch.

I apologize for asking again, but I haven't found this problem addressed, except for one comment that if a barrel didn't lock up that it might never fit.

Offline Austin from NC

• Racjarrett88
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
  • Proudest Uncle Ever
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »
So your saying it bottoms out before it locks?
(choot it, choot it Elizabeth, choot it) Troy Landry

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »

What I'm saying is that as I see it:

Necchi's barrel is bottoming out. It doesn't get to the receiver shelf soon enough, or it doesn't touch the shelf .
Just the right amount of shim will make the barrel face and the receiver match up and the contact shown by the arrow on my drawing won't matter.
The lock up will be:
 The receiver against the barrel face
 and
The latch against the the latch shelf.

The barrel I'm having trouble with gets to the receiver shelf too soon. If I shim the pivot pin, it hits the shelf sooner, and screws up the alignment..
If I remove material from the underside of the barrel lug where it makes contact with the receiver shelf I can shim the pivot pin and maintain the alignment.If I do it just right I can have a three way lockup:
   Barrel face against the receiver,
   Latch against the latch shelf,
   and
   underside of the barrel lug against the receiver shelf.
If I remove a little bit less material the barrel face can be parallel to the receiver but not touching it, and the lockup will be:
   and

My guess would be that the last lockup is the design.

and

I would not be surprised if the first lockup makes a better shooter.

The receiver against the barrel face
 and
The latch against the the latch shelf.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 06:58:47 AM »
Be careful you dont 'overthink' this.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:25 AM »
Overthinking it is one of my concerns in fact!!
Of course more likely is that I will underthink it.
The file is sitting next to the barrel instead of scraping metal off because I am hoping for a voice of experience to chime in.
Just by way of explanation, I live most of my days in a very small Motorhome. My ambition is to reproduce the Handi carrier shown here

Only bigger. I am refurbishing an old suitcase with slots for 5 barrels and one reciever.
The plan is to have a one bag arsenal that is suitable for anything from rats to bears.
For this to work I will have to get very good at fitting barrels.

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 04:45:44 AM »

Not there yet, but this is what's happening, all in an old Halliburton case.
22 Hornet
22-250
357 (to be max'ed)
45-70

I may send the 223 to be 260'ed.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 05:36:55 AM »
My experience is very limited. I had a new 22-250 barrel that didn't fit my .45 Carbine frame( I didn't care but was just curious). I sold it to a friend who also had a Carbine. It fir real tight and after opening and closing it a few times, plus firing a couple rounds it locked up like Fort Knox. No slop, gaps, or any daylight anywhere. FWIW- both Carbines were bought at the same time from the same source so I would guess they would  have been manufactured close together.

Offline ibgp3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 05:54:55 AM »
I got lucky, and I have 2 receivers made years apart that match.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 06:23:39 AM »
I bought a receiver a few years ago and I've had several used barrels I bought since and only one fit that frame, or I should say came real close to fitting that frame.

I've now got it mated with a .243 ultra barrel with a .004 steel shim and it locks up tight and shoots great, but when I've gotten a new to me barrel I would always try to fit it and never have come close.

I think I know why the guy sold it!    It does have a sweet crisp trigger though of about 3#.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.