Author Topic: Drilling for scope mount  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Drilling for scope mount
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:46:18 PM »
 Might be the wrong forum. If so please move.

I just read another thread, feller wandering about 410 scope mounts. I have never drilled for new mounts. How hard is it, if you have a drill press? How do you go about making sure you are square on top center of barre? Thanks

Lonny

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Drilling for scope mount
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:56:18 PM »
Well, I am no gunsmith but have don't it a "couple" times...

I have a couple dozen shotgun barrel cutoffs and practiced quite a bit before working up the nerve to do one. I have a 98 Mauser that I want to sporterize for the wife. But there receivers can be REALLY hard. I am hesitant to tackle that one. But the handis are soft and tap easily. If you have never done this, defiantly do a couple trial holes to get the knack.

Yes I use a drill press, I bought a fancy adjustable vice for it and that helps allot, but you could make do with a non adjustable model as long as its got a sturdy wide base. I level my table and check to be sure its square to the bit. Runout on my quill is pretty good so I don't have problems there.
 Anyhow, now that everything is square, I clamp the barrel lug in the vice and recheck. Then I put the base on the barrel and mark holes and drill the hole and with out moving anything tap using the tip of the chuck as a center. Lots of cutting oil and I go slow, as I said I'm no professional.

Screws, taps and appropriate drills are available from Brownells and also Midway.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:40:22 AM »
CW those Mausers drill and tap pretty easy, I bought the wheeler scope alignment tool, Keeps everything square, Did it all with hand tools.

Shotguns should be fairly straight forward, and a drill press would sure mke it easier, Just making sure it square and centered to me is the key to this.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:46:06 AM »
I take the barrel off and set it on the kitchen counter standing it on the underlug.  Support the front on something to keep it level.  I then set the scope rail on top and lay a straight edge across the scope base, I use one about a foot long.  I measure to the straight edge from the counter top at the ends of the straight edge, when it is even on both ends the base is on top.  I then put a drop of super glue in two of the holes and let it set up.  Then on the drill press with a drill that just fits in the scope base holes I mark each one.  Tap off the scope base with a little hammer and then drill the marked holes and tap them.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:43:47 AM »
Thanks fellas, more good stuff for the FAQs!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
CW those Mausers drill and tap pretty easy, I bought the wheeler scope alignment tool, Keeps everything square, Did it all with hand tools.

Shotguns should be fairly straight forward, and a drill press would sure make it easier, Just making sure it square and centered to me is the key to this.

Bob,
 My Mauser frames are 1898 Argentina's. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
 Thru the years, I have had four sporterized and all required multiple taps to finish. The first was entirely done by a smith and the last was mostly done by me. This next one will be all me.
 I did a K98 scope base a couple years back and found the steel so hard I only finished only one hole and turned it over to my smith. I got some "choice" words along with an appropriate bill from him as a result...  ::) :-[ :-[

I forgot about my fancy little tool to center the screws. It an old machinists tool a friend gave me. There is no markings on it, but its kind of like a split "O" with a hole in the top. When you open it and close it on a piece of stock, that hole is automatically centered. Works great!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
Wow I never had that problem, Mine are mostly 1923 BRNOs and a couple M-48s.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:11:17 PM »
 Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

Lonny