Author Topic: Pallet Wood?  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Pallet Wood?
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:18:47 AM »
  I did a search, and looked in the FAQ's. Maybe I missed it. If I did forgive me.

What the heck is pallet wood?

Thanks for indulging me.
Lonny

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Pallet Wood?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:27:57 AM »
Probably beech.  Handi stocks are made in China.  It may be a Chinese hardwood of some type.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:44:26 AM »
Perhaaps birch??  The laminated ones must be made of compressed rice stalks :D ;D :D ???
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »
Pallet wood stocks are what we refer to as the plain Jane Hard?wood stocks that come stock on lots of handi rifles and shot guns some say it's Birch others beech and still others China Hardwood.I believe H&R states it as Walnut stained American Hardwood.Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Chas.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 12:45:43 PM »
To refer to the wood of unknown heritage that the Handi's are made from as pallet wood, does a dis-service to pallets.  When I worked in a chem. company, many of our raw materials arrived in 100 lb bags, 40 to the pallet.  Those pallets were very hard oak.  In fact, so hard, that whenever we needed to drive a nail in one, we had to use cut nails.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
I've seen curly maple, walnut, popular, mahagony, red & white oak, and other nice woods in pallets.  I have to admit Handi stocks ain't pretty but they are acceptable and better than plastic.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »
All stocks were made at the Gardner plant up until the release of the thumbhole laminates in 2007 that Boyd's is making, in the last couple years of operation they started farming out some of the checkering, but until then, ALL wood stocks were made in house, none came from China. That may be different now that Remington is in control. FWIW, I just received a cinnamon laminated checkered forend from Brownell's, it came in a box with Remington imprinted on one side.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
Re: Do they pallets out of birch?
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:49:39 PM »
As others have noted, "pallet wood" is a lovingly derrisive term some use to describe the "walnut finished American hardwood" that standard non-laminated wood stocked Handi Rifles are equipped with.

On mine, that wood is birch.  Birch isn't known for exquisite grain or figure.  I really like the way my Handi-Rifle fits me, so for that reason alone, I think the stocking is beautiful in a purposeful kind of way.  I must have got the "AAA Fancy" birch, though, becasue mine does have some pretty grain to the butt and a couple of shooters at the local range have commented on the "nice wood" on my rifle, which I find humorous because it is probably about the cheapest stuff you can make a serviceable gunstock out of.

If mine were beech, I definitely wouldn't complain -particularly if the outcome was as nice as it is on my pair of Beeman R-9 air rifles, which both came with Beeman's "select wood" option and have very pleasing figure and grain patterns that make me not miss walnut on them one bit.

The stocks on some Handis might be pallet wood instead of walnut, but that doesn't automatically mean that they're all unintersting to look at or downright ugly.  Some of them are actually quite nice, IMHO.

Your taste, as well as the wood on your Handi, may vary......

-JP

Offline ultramag44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
Gentlemen,

Birch is the name of any tree of the genus Betula in the family Betulaceae.  Birch is closely related to the beech & oak family.  Betula pubescens (Downy Birch, Arctic Birch) is the type of birch found in the northern most regions, this includes N. America and Asia.     

Regards, ultramag44                                   
I don't need to fight to prove I'm right, I don't need to be forgiven, no, no, no (from the song ‘Baba O'Riley’ by The Who)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »
Gentlemen,

Birch is the name of any tree of the genus Betula in the family Betulaceae.  Birch is closely related to the beech & oak family.  Betula pubescens (Downy Birch, Arctic Birch) is the type of birch found in the northern most regions, this includes N. America and Asia.     

Regards, ultramag44                                   

???

Spanky

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 11:11:32 AM »
Not the biggest picture but all the rifles in my avatar are refinished pallet wood stocks. Alot of times there is some really nice grain under that factory finish.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
Not the biggest picture but all the rifles in my avatar are refinished pallet wood stocks. Alot of times there is some really nice grain under that factory finish.

I stripped the stocks on my 44mag Handi and refinished them... it's some of the nicest grain I've seen.

Spanky

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 12:17:59 PM »
Gentlemen,

Regards, ultramag44                                   

???
Spanky[/quote]

Trees are categorized by family, genus, and species (using Latin which is universal in the science community).  American beech (Fagus grandifolia) is in the Fagaceae family.  Genus is Fagus.  Species is grandifolia.  Dendrology - SUNY College of Environmental Science Forestry @ Syracuse '73.  Boy, does that bring back memories.  Haha  ;)

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »
Gentlemen,

Birch is the name of any tree of the genus Betula in the family Betulaceae.  Birch is closely related to the beech & oak family.  Betula pubescens (Downy Birch, Arctic Birch) is the type of birch found in the northern most regions, this includes N. America and Asia.    

Regards, ultramag44                                    
 ???
Spanky

Trees are categorized by family, genus, and species (using Latin which is universal in the science community).  American beech (Fagus grandifolia) is in the Fagaceae family.  Genus is Fagus.  Species is grandifolia.  Dendrology - SUNY College of Environmental Science Forestry @ Syracuse '73.  Boy, does that bring back memories.  Haha  ;)

Well, that's more than I wanted to know, but I'm constantly amazed at the level of knowledge in this forum.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 04:43:02 AM »
All three pallet wood stocks I have re-ished appeared to be made of all sapwood birch. The grain is almost totally uniform and light in color. Heartwood birch is darker. If you get a piece where there is a transition between heartwood and sapwood in the cut it can be very pretty and is likely to be mistaken for cherry.  I built my entire bedroom set out of birch as a wedding present to my wife (sorted through piles of rough cut five quarter to pick the wood). My bachelor party was me, my dad, and my brother sanding the next to the last finish coat and it is regularly mistaken for cherry. I've worked with Asian birch dad brought back from Korea in the 90's (they use it in packing crates) and it is softer than North American, I think it must grow faster over there.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
Here is an example of what lies under the factory stain on pallet wood stocks
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
I like the factory finish.