Author Topic: .35 Whelen any luck with factory ammo?  (Read 900 times)

Offline SDN921

• Trade Count: (16)
.35 Whelen any luck with factory ammo?
« on: June 30, 2007, 11:40:26 AM »
Has anyone had any luck with the .35 Whelen shooting factory ammo?

Thanks

Scott

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .35 Whelen any luck with factory ammo?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »
I don't recollect anyone not having problems with Remington ammo other than Poncaguy, hunman55 never reported on his, at least I couldn't find it. James B had misfires with his too. Poncaguy may be the only one that hasn't had problems. Bajabill traded his Whelen barrel in on another barrel from H&R, he too had problems and the reason it was discontinued.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,119439.msg1098396016.html#msg1098396016
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 01:06:35 PM »
Initally had problems with my .35 Whelen not shooting factory ammo.  Shot my reloads fine, but sent it back to NEF in about 98 or 99.  They fixed it now I am having no problem shooting anything.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »
Initally had problems with my .35 Whelen not shooting factory ammo.  Shot my reloads fine, but sent it back to NEF in about 98 or 99.  They fixed it now I am having no problem shooting anything.   

They won't do that for the recent production 35 Whelens, they'll offer to replace it with a different barrel.

Tim

Offline SDN921

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 05:48:05 AM »
Thanks

I got the 35 whelen barrel last late last year from the accessory barrel program and still have not fired it. 
I would not be hunting with it till this fall.

I had been hearing that there were issues with the factory ammo.

I do not reload (No room at this time).

I guess I will try it out with some Factory loads but I would hate to be hunting and have a miss fire.

Scott

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:55:57 AM »
There's hope that Remington has improved the shoulder on their ammo to eliminate headspace issues.

Federal re-released their 225gr TBBC Whelen ammo, so you might try it if you can find it.

Conley makes good ammo for the Whelen.

Good luck, ;)

Tim

http://www.cpcartridge.com/35whelen-P.htm

Offline SDN921

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »
Thanks

I will give them a try.

Scott

Offline jmack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
I got a whelen a few months ago, and purchased 4 boxes of Remington ammo for it. 3 boxes were the old Remington High Velocity cartridges, and 1 box was new. Of the old stuff, I now have 2 full boxes of misfires waiting to be sent back, and out of the new box, I only had 4 misfires. this is better, but still totally unreliable to me. I just acquired a few boxes of the Federal stuff, but with all the rain we're having in Texas, I haven't had the chance to get to the range yet.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 08:15:45 PM »
Yes, I just exchanged my whelen,  Too bad because I have always wanted one.

I was using Rem brass for loading with no success.  Then I loaded to the lands and was able to get about 60 percent fires.  I figured I would just continue with that and eventually get a pile of once fired brass to work with.  But, when i loaded these and still had half misfires, I drew the line on the barrel.  Perhaps i could have worked thru it, but I did not want to deal with this problem.  I would rather spend my efforts working up loads.