Author Topic: 35 Whelen  (Read 618 times)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
35 Whelen
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Took out my Handi 35 Whelen today, 2 shot 1/2" group. Fired half a dozen rounds of Remington ammo, no problems. Had to check it out , keep reading of people having misfires. I've never had any. My Whelen and 45-70 are 2 of my most accurate Handi's. I use to hate anything bigger than a 270...............no more!!!

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 35 Whelen
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
good shooting bud, alway nice to hear of others enjoying the 35's
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline jmack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 02:52:33 AM »
I've heard that Remington has fixed their headspace problem with the .35 whelen ammo. I have been shooting some older stuff, and I assume that's the reason why mine is so bad. I did shoot 1 box of newer ammunition, and only had 4 misfires out of the box, but I believe it was still not as new as what is on the shelf's now. Nobody in my area carries ammunition for the whelen, and I bought up all I could find from the back rooms of dusty pawnshops throughout the county. My scope was set too far forward, and I've just adjusted it, so that may improve accuracy some, and I still have yet to try shooting since I free floated my barrel. Hopefully I'll see some improvement. The Remington ammo has always been the most accurate by far for me in other calibers, but it's been junk in my new handi rifle. Of course, it's still probably too new to make any concrete claims.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 03:23:49 AM »
My ammo is over a year old, but I have had zero problems so far.............

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 04:03:12 AM »
I had some misfire or NOFIRE with some remington 280 ammo i hit them about 5-6 times called rem. the guy said send in the 2 rds that won't go off yea right cost more to send in 2 rds than the box of bullets cost. I don't shoot Remington ammo anymore.