Author Topic: H&R WISH LIST  (Read 45135 times)

Offline Rangeball

• Trade Count: (1)
H&R WISH LIST
« on: September 27, 2006, 07:40:49 AM »
As was discussed in another thread, this is a thread to place any thoughts, wishes, improvements you'd like to see, new products, whatever, relating to NEF/H&R, similar to what was done over a year ago in this thread-

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,64281.msg389265.html#msg389265

I don't know what if any outcome there was to that input, but I have been conversing with a fellow at Marlin that oversees NEF/H&R.  Once this thread takes off, I'll send him the link. 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: H&R WISH LIST
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:11:25 AM »

OK...I'll do this again ;)

1) Better wood to metal fit
2) All barrel lenghts available in all finishes...blue/stainless/fluted/unfluted/bull barrel...yes...even a 26" full bull barrel
3) More calibers offered...here's a link to a partial list of what some would like to see...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,98854.0.html
4) a full blown custom shop...not only for the NEF fans here...but also for all the Marlin fans as well...
5) I would love to see the  company become a sponser here...Then a spoke person allowed to post openly on our forums...It would give the company direct 2 way communications ...

This will do for now...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:44:36 AM »
More chamberings.  Like the link Mac11700 posted, I would love to see a 25-35.

Longer barrels for sure in all the chamberings.

Different barrel profiles...half round, full octagon, heavier bull barrels.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:00:58 AM »
405 Winchester, 25-35 and 30-30 in a Target Model configuration. 
32 H&R Mag, 300/221, 6.8 SPC, and other small capacity rifle cartridges.
Classic Cartridges like 250-3000, 300 Savage, 32-20, .218 Bee and 25-20.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline Hunternz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:29:47 AM »
H&R appoint a gunsmith in conjunction with the importer in each country to fit barrels, so we can have spare barrels, like you guys in the States,
New calibres 250-3000, 6.5x55, 6.8spc.
Regards Howard.     

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:30:19 AM »
Better fit and finish would be nice. Or like was mentioned in the past thread, why not offer a Utility Handi, kinda like the ones now, and offer a Real "ULTRA" model with this better fit and finish, and metal spacers and trigger guard?

2) All barrel lenghts available in all finishes...blue/stainless/fluted/unfluted/bull barrel...yes...even a 26" full bull barrel

Mac

I agree. This doesn't mean NEF/H&R would have to produce an actual complete Handi in all these configs, but make these barrels availible through the barrel program. That way these barrels will only need to be made to fill demand by those that really want them. Keeping cost down to producing whats necessary and filling smaller orders, like 20, 50, 70, etc... Quaility can be controlled better, not that Green Mountain makes a bad barrel, we all know other wise.
Same would go for more calibers offered.
Sell complete Handis in the most popular calibers, and different calibers only through the barrel program. Kinda like what they are doing with the 357Mag barrels and 450Marlin barrels.
I believe there's still a lot of untapped potiential in the barrel program.
I would like to see them hire a couple more Smiths to be able to handle and help oversee the work being done, as well as run a custom shop. Even if they started out with a 1 man custom shop, something..

And like Mac said, why not sponser here ??? It's not that expensive, and would be a welcome party to GBO. 8)

EDIT- oh yeah, and a lower profile hammer would be nice too ;D

-Aaron

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:40:11 AM »
How about selling un-chambered barrels in the Barrel Program.  In all the calibers they already have plus 6.5, 32, 338, and 40.

DK
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:52:47 AM »
Wonder what ever happened to Miss Diana Lynch?

I would like a lot of things, but here are a few.

I wish H&R made a 12ga Muzzleloader with screw in chokes for turkey hunting and other upland game.

A percussion module breech plug for the Huntsman/Sidekick that uses something similar to the .25acp breech plug with the hexagon head for easy removal.

A forend lug with a hole through it similar to the Encore, so a near full length ramrod would fit for loading and a screw on extended jag for cleaning.

Lower the profile of the hammer, to allow for lower scope mounting.

Make laminated thumbhole stocks. Bring back the gray laminated stocks.

Make a stainless steel Huntsman or Sidekick with cinnimon (or gray, or camo) laminated thumbhole stock.

And since we are dreaming, a 28 ga. rifled barrel with a 2-3/4" chamber. This would allow the hand loader to load 54 caliber saboted bullets in 28 ga hulls. Great short range/tree stand loads for the young and old alike, keeping within the definition of a shotgun. ;)

Gotta go for now, but I am sure I'll think of more later. ;D
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 12:31:25 PM »
Busta you are right what did happen to the Miss Diana Lynch? She blew in and stirreded up things then disappered. Never to be heard from again.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 12:43:24 PM »
The last email or pm(can't remember) that I got she was having serious health problems, unfortunately. :(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline G16

• Keep it Simple
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 12:57:34 PM »
muzzleloading shotgun barrel

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
H&R could offer custom target grade barresl in 22, 24. and 26" made by outside barrel makers, chambered, contoured, to be fitted by H&R with a hardened underlug with a solid front end.

These barrels could be supplied chambered for any cartridge suitable for the H&R rifle at a $200. surcharge for special orders only. There are lots of good barrel makers that would  jump to supply these barrels. That way H&R could carry on supplieing cheap barrel for economy minded hunters.

Hammer spring and the latch compression spring to be made from Chrom Silicon.

Get rid of the transfer bar and simplefy the action with less fragile parts.

Install 7/16" hinge pins to reduce setback.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 01:27:37 PM »
I would like to see a low hammer profile so we can use lower rings .

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 01:32:29 PM »
12 Gauge Shotgun Barrel in fixed Cyinder choke for the Sidekick
.270/30-06 and the like with 24 inch barrels and Open Sights
Walnut Stocks on more guns
Parkerized Barrels
.54 cal or better yet a .58 cal Muzzleloader Barrel for the Sidekick

Jack

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »
 Right on, Slayer, and Fred! As Usual.
                                                   Woodbutcher

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 02:00:29 PM »
I will only ask for 2 things this time. Both of these should be easily doable.

1.A handi barrel in .32 H&R Mag.

2. A 12ga muzzle loader barrel.

It's a short wish list this year for me but I garantee I'd buy one of each. Oh yeah and while they're at it how bout bringing back the Shikari models and a 16gaTDC would be nice as well.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Swampman

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 02:54:22 PM »
Stainless .30-40 Krag and a .375 JDJ with a geen laminated straight gripped stock.

Offline baranjhn

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 03:00:21 PM »
I would love to see metal forend spacers and trigger guards as standard items.

I would also like like to see some longer barrels.

Calibers I'd like to see are:

.257 Roberts
.250 Savage
.256 magnum
.25-35
7-30 waters
.35 remington
.40-65
.480 Ruger

Nicer metal work too. I agree with a true Ultra model, I'd pay more for it. Or a custom shop to order from.

John

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »
I'll just copy what I said last time:
I would like to see the 12 ga Camo Turkey gun  (SB1-F12) come with choke tubes instead of a fixed full choke.  I would like to see camo stocks offered on the Ultra Slug guns, Tracker II's and rifles.  Synthetic stocks offered on shotguns would be nice as well. Parkerized guns would be nice.
and add a TDC in 28 ga.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 04:02:53 PM »
My realistic wish is an 18.5 inch 12 gauge barrel with screw in chokes and rifle sights, as a varmit/turkey/ knock around gun.  My unrealistic wish is a 25-20, 32-20 or a 32 H&R magnum chambering (the 32 H&R) is probably the most likel and a 41 magnum barrel.

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »
OK, heres my wishes.  I love the Buffalo Classic, I own two; but I wish it was a bit fancier.  Ive said this before, if the barrel release lever had some rollover like a sidelever shotgun and the hammer had some flair the gun would look more 19th century.  While your at it how bout a tang sight option and and brass trigger guards

Now what about some special order calibers and some real exotics.  Howbout some BIG BORE stuff like 450No2, or atleast
45-120.  I love metrics so think about 7.62x54R, 8mm, 9.3x62, 9.3x74R.  And ofcourse 375H&H

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 11:44:52 PM »
I would be happy with better fitting barrels...Call 'em on the phone and give'em your credit card number and specs.  You know, 20ga USH barrel w/rifle sights, 18 1/2 " and they charge your card $100 and ship it out...No shipping them the receiver, no factory fitting necessary, no added freight/shipping charges.  They wouldn't believe how much money they could make if they just tightend up the QC to eliminate the need for FACTORY fitting.  Barrels would be selling like hotcakes. 

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 03:32:44 AM »
my wish list has been simple, I wanted a 35 whelen and an offering in 6.5mm

I got half of it -  thanks, and I am doing my part and buying a 35 whelen barrel.  I think I am done with barrels for the handi unless they come out with a 6.5 choice.  BTW, make it a swede!!

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 05:53:47 AM »
Guys, I sent him the link.  Keep the input coming :)

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 09:29:27 AM »
Oooooooooo, thought of another one. A Double Barel Shotgun with double triggers and exposed Hammers in Cyl/Cyl bore of Cyl/Imp Cyl bore. Possbily with a vent rib and about 24/26 inch barrels. Also, the same in a Sidekick double barrel 50/50 or 54/54 something like that with double triggers. Jack.

Offline Escalante

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 11:26:43 AM »
After some thought, I will go along with Fred. Calibers for me would be. .45-90,.45-110,.40-65.
A 6.5x55 would be great also.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 12:54:30 PM »
I would be happy with barrel blanks in their standard bore that we could chamber as we need , i don't even have a problem with them fitting it to my frame as long as i can re-chamber it .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline SHOOTER 72

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 04:00:43 PM »
i would like to see some more calibers also
25-35
218 bee
256 win mag
250 savage
405 wcf

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 04:35:20 PM »
It would be interestin to know how many rifles H&R makes in the presesent caliber list and which calibers sells the best. One should be reasonable in requesting all these odd ball calibers.

You have to ask your self how many would you buy? Afterall H&R is running a busness based on profit and low inventory. Dead inventory waiting for a buyer is poor business. Most all of their production is based on what the stocking dealers request.

So I would not get all excited by how many new calibers H&R will produce, if any.
To start a custom shop is another iffy proposition. Again how many orders would they get for a semi custom rifle. Again calibers would have to be based on what sells best.

I am not trying to take the wind out of anybodies sails, but we have to face reality.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »
H&R isn't going to produce calibers that require handloading, they'll stick to factory available ammo calibers only, although it would be nice if they offered some custom caliber barrrels on a special order basis, as Fred said, they aren't going to do something that won't appeal to the majority of shooters.

I would like to see improved QC so there aren't so many defects that we see currently like loose fit/poor lockup, forend hangers that aren't properly aligned and underlugs that wear better and aren't so soft. Since they've redesigned the underlug as extractors, that may be easy to do, eliminating the cutout in the pivot would help a lot.

And for calibers and barrel lengths:

257 Roberts 26"
260 Remington 26"
6.55x55 26"
7x57 26"
338 Federal 26"        http://glarp.atk.com/Featured_Articles/pdf/338JournalSpread.pdf
338-06 A-Square 26"
9.3x62 26"
405 Winchester 28"
444 Marlin 28"
45-90 or 45-100 32"

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain