Author Topic: H&R Survey  (Read 7592 times)

Offline DIANAL

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Survey
« on: May 27, 2005, 05:06:01 PM »
Hello Handiholics!

Thank you for inviting me to participate on your forum and a special thank you to Mac for his invitation and kind words!  

My name is Diana Lynch and I am married to Theodore Lynch, the grandson of Theodore F. Lynch, who in the earlier years was chairman of Marlin Firearms.  We are among a small group of owners of the privately held Marlin Firearms Company.  I am compiling data regarding Marlin and H&R customer feedback on both existing products and ideas for new products and accessories.  Although I have been to a number of Marlin Firearms company meetings, I am new to the gun business; however, I am going to immerse myself into learning everything I can about the gun business.  I am gathering this information from a number of different sources and I am hoping that your forum with its diverse members will contribute!  Please understand that my level of commitment is real and determined.  My background and professional career has been in aerospace; before that, I played professional tennis and was a national and world champion squash player.  I mention this only as examples of my determination and passion, always giving each endeavor my absolute best effort.  I am confident that with your input, both companies will become even more successful and achieve even greater customer satisfaction.  Thank you in advance for your assistance and I look forward to your insightful comments.  

Diana Lynch
You never know where the next great idea will come from.

Survey Questions

Are you a recent or long-term H&R owner?

What were the main reasons that you chose to buy the H&R product over another competitor?

What specifically about the H&R products do you like or not like?

What types of products do you wish H&R made?

Are there any accessories, if offered by H&R, that you would purchase?

If you were offered to purchase a share or shares of the company, would you?
You never know where the next great idea will come from!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
H&R Survey
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 05:08:37 PM »
Diana:

It's nice to see you here and I hope you get all the data you need...I'll let the other guys have their say first since I've already told you my wants and desires for NEF...and I'll let you know a-little more later on...

Remember guys...she is here to help...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mhans938

H&R Survey
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 05:36:00 PM »
Diana,

To answer your questions:

1) I am a recent H&R owner.
2) American made is very important as well as the reputation for quality and accuracy.  
3) I like the ability to get other barrels for the SB2 frame, yet it is inconvient, time-consuming and additional S/H and labor cost to do this.
Why can you not set your specs. so that you could just order the barrel and have it fit like your competitors do?
4) Stay with what you do best and improve them where you can instead of getting side-tracked onto another product.
5)Nothing
6) Probably would.

The number one thing that I can see that could be improved would be the additional barrels and getting the tolerances so that you could just send the barrel out as it is ordered and it would fit onto a specific frame.  Contenders can do it, so it is possible.  

mark

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
H&R Survey
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 05:42:22 PM »
Hi Diana, welcome to Graybeard Outdoors and the NEF/H&R forum!!! Glad to see you here!!! :grin: I'll just jump right in and start this off!!!

I've owned an H&R 12ga shotgun for most of my like, given to me by my dad when I was just old enough to shoot it, bought another about 15yrs ago and a year ago started collecting quite a few of them.

What were the main reasons that you chose to buy the H&R product over another competitor?

Cost and value, plain and simple!

I like their simple design, makes them easy to clean and care for, easy to use, for the most part they are reliable, but a few changes would be nice to improve their performance. Making the hammer with a lower profile would be near the top of the list to make scope mounting less challenging due to less interference. Improving quality control, the chamber and bore dimensions are for the most part within specifications, but usually are at the maximum which can make bullet/ammo selection a frustrating experience. Other quality control issues are stripped butt pad mounting holes in the stocks which seems to be typical of the current products. Improving the quality control could lead to not having to send a frame in for fitting of an accessory barrel, the barrels could just be ordered and sent right to us.

I broader selection of rifle calibers would be a good start. Reintroducing some of the calibers that have been discontinued like 7x57, 357 magnum/357 maximum, 35 whelen....and some new calibers like 338-06, 6.5x55.

In general, a custom shop would be great where we could buy individual custom parts for the H&R rifles such as checkered stocks with fancy wood, different types of sights, ect... that are not now available as retail items thru H&R. In effect, this could be just an extension of the accessory barrel program.

I think that would depend on some of the above, but I would seriously consider it.

Thanks for your interest in this quest and I wish you the best. :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: H&R Survey
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 06:09:03 PM »
Quote from: DIANAL
Hello Handiholics! SNIP........................

Diana Lynch

Survey Questions

I've owned them all my life; started my son with them; 5 grandsons too.

Price, value, quality, durability,and ALL AMERICAN MADE UNTIL UNTIL RECENTLY.

I like the quality and value of the product. Additionally the versatilty of barrel swapping. I DO NOT LIKE IMPORTING CHINESE COMMUNIST GUNS. I FEEL IT CHEAPENS THE NAME OF AN OLD, RESPECTED, AMERICAN COMPANY. STICK TO WHAT YOU DO BEST AS THE "SINGLE SHOT EXPERTS" AND PLEASE GET AWAY FROM PUMPS, SxS, & O/U's

Products designed SPECIFICALLY FOR LADIES; i.e. 20 & 28 gauges guns designed for ladies, not just youth.

Yes, Hats, Jackets, Coffee Mugs, etc. Also consider your own line of SCOPES as Marlin® did years ago.

YES.

Offline hvacman

H&R Survey
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 06:12:05 PM »
I too would like to see the day when I can buy a new barrel without sending in my receiver and losing the use of my gun for weeks. I would also like to see a lower profile hammer to allow lower scope mounting. I would like a much larger caliber selection including the .348 and .405. I bought my H&R because of the lower cost, American Made and the challenge of using a single shot. I also bought H&R because of all the good things people on this site and the old H&R site said about these good little guns. Your customers are your best advertisement.
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
H&R Survey
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 06:43:40 PM »
Welcome aboard diana; its nice to see someone with an interest in there customers for a change.

#1  i am a short term owner - i have one of your rifles now and a new one on the way

#2  price - no question ,  but once i shot it i new i would have another one or more

#3  likes - a barrel program to get different cal. barrels

dislikes - the fact that you need to send the receiver away to have the barrel fitted , also i wish the hammer was designed to alowe for scope mounting with out the use of such tall rings

#4  stick with what you do best , don't try to do to many things and loose site of what works

#5  an unfinished stock , i'm in the process of striping my present one - never been a big fan of plain / generic stocks. a 45long colt only not a45lc-410 barrel would be nice as well also barrel blanks for wildcat cal.

#6  yes/depends on price per share and long term return goals
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Thank You for this opportunity.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »
Survey Questions

I owned a H&R 12ga, several years ago that I gave to my brother-in-law.  I also own a 22 Marlin that has been passed on to my son.  I liked them both.  In February I bought a Pardner 12ga. and have since bought a Handi rifle and have had it fitted with 3 accessory barrels.

I like the simplicity and quality of the firearms.  They are a good value for the price and they are made right here in America.

I like the transfer bar safety.  I like the way they look and the feel of them.  I like the affordabiliy of them.  I don't like being limited on stock and barrel length combinations, ie: to get a short barrel shotgun you must purchase a youth gun with a short stock.  I don't like that some barrels are only offered as Accessory barrels, ie: the smooth bore slug barrels.

I would like to see H&R go to a universal receiver that would be strong enough to use with rifle barrels.  One receiver for everything.  Keep it simple.  I would like to see the receivers and barrels made to tighter tolerances so there would be no need for factory fitting of barrels.  You could just order the barrels you want and install them.  I would like to see H&R once again market revolvers and also come out with a line of single shot, top break pistols.   I would like to see the factory open a custom shop where your dealer could order a firearm that you spec. and design.  

Any accessories that are designed specifically for the Pardners, Toppers, and Handis.  

Most certainly.  

Thanks for this opportunity to voice my opinions.  Welcome to the forum.  
Be advised, these Handi's are addicting.  Spend some time on the range or in the woods with one and you will be hooked.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
H&R Survey
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 08:52:26 PM »
1. Are you a recent or long term H&R user?  I bought my first NEF/H&R shotgun in 1981.  I bought my first rifle (30-06) in 1994, discovered what a great value it was and sent it back for two more barrels.  I quess that you could say I'm a long term user.

2.  What are the main reasons you chose an H&R product over competitors?  At first the price.  Then quality and shootability came into play.

3.  What specifically about the H&R products do you like or dislike?  I use mine to hunt dangerous game therefore I like the fact that it has ejectors, not extractors.  They are rugged, practically industructiable, and reliable.   I do not like having to send my frame back to have the barrels fitted by the factory, it would be great if we could do like T/C does and have all barrels made to a certain tolerance so they all would be interchangable.

4.  What kind of products do you wish H&R made?  I am happy with what they are currently making.  My only wish is that they would make some real big game calibers ie. .35 Whelen, .338-06, and a .338 Win Mag if the receiver could handle the pressure.  

5.  Are there any accessories, if offered by H&R, that you would purchase?  Yes, a custom take down case for transport.  A gun boot to mount on an ATV, to fit an H&R rifle or shotgun.  All current ATV boots/carriers are way too long for a H&R singleshot.  I currently have to stuff rags down into the gun boots to keep my rifles from sliding too far down, or bounching around.

6.  If you were offered to purchase a share or shares of the company would you?  Honestly, that is something I would have to think about.  I have never bought shares in a company, therefore I could not say right off that I would.  I like the idea, it's something I would have to investigate.  

Now that I have answered your questions, I would like to elaborate further.  The reason I bought my first H&R rifle was to have a spare gun for Moose camp.  Something inexpensive, and rugged for a loaner when someone broke theirs.  I wanted something heavier than 30-06, but that was the heaviest gun H&R made at the time.  I soon discovered that it was just as accurate as my TCR (Thompson Center Rifle), yet it had an external hammer that I liked and ejectors.  The TCR has an internal hammer and extractors.  When the game you are hunting can turn around and eat you, being able to get a second shot ready quick, and not having to physically remove the empty is very important.  Safety is also a big issue with me.  I am a state hunter safety instructor.  The external hammer with the hammer block is the safest system I know of.  I own several single shot rifles, but I usually carry the H&R the most.  The only time I carry something else is when I'm likely to be in Grizzly country.  I then carry a .338 Win Mag, that's why I would like to see H&R make on in that caliber.  30-06 is just a little light for Grizzlies and Moose.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
H&R Survey
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 09:00:21 PM »

I currently own six and am looking to add two more this year. Still waiting on the 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic.

Simplicity, accuracy, price and value.

Like that the singles at least are "MADE IN USA", dislike that you are importing a pump, over and under and an autoloader. Especially dislike  the Chinese made pump. I would also like to see the hammer profile lowered to allow lower scope mounting. Make the receiver tolerances better to allow purchasing "drop-in" barrels.

I wish H&R made a 12ga Muzzleloader with screw in chokes for turkey hunting and other upland game. A percussion module breech plug for the Huntsman/Sidekick that uses something similar to the .25acp breech plug with the hexagon head for easy removal.

Thumbhole laminated stocks, LimbSaver recoil pads, Williams WGRS sight with the proper height slide for use with the muzzleloaders standard front sight.

Yes, as long as you continue to make the rifles in the USA. If you intend to start "Farming Out" production of your singles, well then count me out. As you may have guessed "MADE IN USA" is a very big reason that H&R/NEF has such a loyal following, to do otherwise would be a big mistake in my honest opinion.

Thank you for asking and good luck with your new journey.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
H&R Survey
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 09:59:27 PM »
#1 Bought my frist in the early 70s I know own 16 and 5 extra barrels, except the first all bought sense 03.

#2  The price and this talk forum has some to do with it.

#3 they are simple,safe , easy to use.

#4 More calibers and keep out the calibers already made.

#5  Different stocks and forearms, sights, ects.

#6Maybe
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
H&R Survey
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 01:42:27 AM »
Hello Diana;

It is good that you are interested in what we the buyers have to say. I consider myself one of H&R/NEF's best customers. I own 16 complete guns (Handis, Ultras, and Partners). I also have 14 extra barrels with 3 more ordered. I have even joked that H&R should give me the next barrel free. Everyone agrees except H&R. I bought my first NEF about 20 years ago. That answers question # 1.
#2. I was first drawn to the Handi because of price and the fact that I shoot lefty. Then realized how good they are...
#3. The price, extra barrel program and the simplicity. Don't like sending my reciever back to have barrels fitted. Also the high hammer is a problem with lower scope mounting...
#4. I would like to see some larger calibers such as 7MM Mag or 300 Winchester for elk hunting..
#5. The accessories are OK but I would like to have a complete listing offered. Now you must call or e-mail to get availability and pricing.
#6. Possible

Offline youngbdv

H&R Survey
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 01:59:23 AM »
1. yes since 2003
2. price ,single shot
3. I would like a better  hammer design for lower scope mounting , more caliber choices ,and not having to send receiver in for barrel fitting.
4. none
5.custom stocks
6. Maybe

Offline Deadeye47

H&R Survey
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 02:55:00 AM »
1)I have been a relatively short term H & R owner but have had an Old H & R Pistol and a shotgun over the years. I started shooting the Handi rifle only recently in the past 6 years or so. I currently own 5 rifles and 7 different accessory barrels.

2) price , quality, American made and ability to add different barrels

3) All the above as far as likes but would really like to see a custom shop offered. As far as dislikes : I have noticed there are issues with QC. Stripped screws...dings or scratches that come back from the factory after sending in the receiver for another barrel. Junk or manufacturing debris in the receiver of new rifles which requires complete disassembly to clean before using. Ruff chamber finishes....Burrs in the barrels. extremely long throats on some barrels (this seems to be a hit or miss situation or luck of the draw....QC??) Scope mount is not fully supported by the barrel... and would also like to see barrels offered that would not have to be fitted by the factory (this by itself would remove the problems with dings and scratches incurred by having to send the receiver in to have a barrel added) It would be extremely nice to have the H & R web site updated regularly to the offerings and so forth. Knowledgeable people at the CS desks that are all "singing to the same piece of music" (inconsistent info depending on who your talking to... :roll: )

4) Bigger selection of stocks and sighting accessories...wider range of calibers , add on muzzle brakes , Quality recoil pads and higher quality finishes... wide and lower profile hammer spurs

5) Same as above

6) Yes

Thanks you !  For your interest in the end user opinions of the companys products.... :D
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
My ideas
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 03:08:50 AM »
Dianal, Hello  I'm  long term owner, (72 73 )  Short term owner.
 One thing I yhink it is a safe type rifle - shotgun for a begining
 shooter, Probly safeest type action. Most of the post I agree with.
 Datil

Offline wudjalike2no

H&R Survey
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2005, 03:16:49 AM »
1. Recent

2. Price, reliability, accuracy, American made

3.I do not like having SB1 and SB2 frames. I would like to have one standard reciever. I also would like to be able to use a barrel without haing to fit it to the reciever

4. More caliber choices.

5. A kit to improve the trigger

6. Yes

Thank you, Mrs. Lynch, for listening to us.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
H&R Survey
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 03:45:17 AM »
Survey Questions

1.) Q: Are you a recent or long-term H&R owner?
 A: Long term

2.) Q: What were the main reasons that you chose to buy the wy&R product over another competitor?
 A :My first was because of affordability. My recent ones have been because of affordability as well as shootability.

3.) Q:What specifically about the H&R products do you like or not like?
 A: Likes: rugged, affordable, performance
 A: dislikes: Sending the receiver in for additional barrels, I would like the breech area of the barrel to be longer so the scope-rails would be fully supported rather than the chency set screw.

4.) Q: What types of products do you wish H&R made?
  A: more caliber offerings

5.) Q:Are there any accessories, if offered by H&R, that you would purchase?
 A: an integral bipod.

6.) Q:If you were offered to purchase a share or shares of the company, would you?
    A: depends on how it is offered.
no x now!

Offline 218Bee

• Avid Poster
H&R Survey
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2005, 03:53:57 AM »
Welcome Dianal :D  

Good to have you here!!

Recent

Price and "Made in America"

Love the price and overall appearance. Don't love the "fit and finish". Maybe a little more time spent cleaning up the slag (but then time is money).

Stick with what you do best, and improve on it. Improve the product line with out the diversion of "new stuff".

Truly interchangable barrels, without the need for a factory fit.

No, but then I'm not a "playah". I spent most of my money on women and beer. The rest I wasted.

Rick
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Offline cma g21

H&R Survey
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 04:10:46 AM »
Long time (shot gun) Relatively new to the rifles. Also have a sidekick muzzleloader.

American made, good value, wanted a good single shot that is (or could be easily made to be) accurate.

Like: Price, quality (mostly), customer service (usually), accuracy (generally).
Don't like: That extra barrels have to factory fitted, not enough calibers offered (at least not all the ones I want), stocks (except the laminated). I also wish the web site was kept more up to date.

Side by side double rifle in .45-70 (I know I'm dreaming).

Better stocks, peep sights, barrels that don't need to be factory fitted.

Yes.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
H&R Survey
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 04:42:00 AM »
I have owned these guns for many years. I can echo what the others say for likes and dislikes. I would like to see a program to purchase some of the discontiued offerings and like the others said, it would be nice to not have to send the receivers in for extra barrels. Welcome to the forum and its nice to see someone near the top take an interest in our opinions. Thank you.
shot placement is everything.

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
H&R Survey
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 04:53:17 AM »
Hello and welcome to the site and hope your stay here is as informative
as mine has been since I joined Graybeard Outdoors.
I am a long time user have a topper model since I was 14
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
H&R Survey
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2005, 05:06:50 AM »
Questions

Long Term

I am lefthanded and the ambidextrous handi design leans towards easier operation for me as I use my handis for whitetail deer hunting I also own  Tracker II's and accessory barrels. The excellent value also comes into play. After owning a handi, the accuracy factor led me to purchase more.

I dislike the case sticking problem of the rimless caliber Handi versions. I understand this is being corrected with newer versions.

Not sure, would probably like to see the bugs worked out on current versions.

I am a fan of rimmed caliber cartridges, so .225 Win, and 307 Win. accessory barrels for current handis would be my choice. Not sure this is what you meant by that question though.

Probably.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
H&R Survey
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2005, 06:04:13 AM »
Welcome!
              My first shotgun was a H&R 410 dad bought me when I was 13, back in 1954. Just recently gave it to my 20 year old daughter.
               The guys have stated about everything I would like to see, especially barrels that would fit without having to ship receiver in and the lower hammer. I would like to see adjustable triggers or triggers set from the factory with 4lbs or less pull, though my recently acquired 22 Hornet has a very good trigger.
               Make your products here in the USA!
                                                                    Thanks!
                                                                               Larry (poncaguy)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
H&R Survey
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005, 06:16:38 AM »
Hey Diana :D  glad to see you made it over to the largest group of NEF/H&R owners on the net!  :oh:  :yeah:

Actually compared to some of the rest of the guys here, I would consider myself a recent owner. Was given a 12ga. Pardner by my son in '03 and that got me started. Next was a 25-06 Ultra that was a nightmare.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=45255&highlight=saga
I remained faithful though and next purchased a 2000 model 7x64 Brenneke which quickdtoo now owns. I have purchased and sold barrels in 45-70, 22 Hornet, 280 Rem, 20 and 12 gauge. I just recently purchased a 2005 model Ultra Varmint .243 which I am very pleased with. Apparently there have been some quality control issues dealt with already, i.e., crud from the manufacturing process reduced, no stripped screws, nice frame to barrel fit. I currently own the above mentioned Ultra, a Huntsman, a 12 ga. receiver with customized stocks on which I use a 28"  Topper Deluxe barrel, a 24"  Turkey barrel,  and a Tracker 2 barrel. I have a 20 ga. Pardner that I have a .410 barrel to switch onto, and, I also have a 30-30 barrel.

For me, the bottom line is affordability. Before purchasing my first Ultra I looked at many other guns in the lower price offerings and decided on the H&R because of it's reputation of quality at an affordable price. I was a part of the old H&R talk forum before I ever purchased a rifle. I liked the community at the now gone H&R foum board and equally like being a part of the group here. Currently owning these guns require, in my estimation, the knowledge base that is contained among this group of enthusiasts.
The buy and sell factor obviously appeals to me also and the availability and possibilities of all the caliber choices thru the accessory program. However additions to the caliber offerings, such as have been mentioned in the previous thread here started by Mac, would be wecome also. As I've stated before I would like to see the return of the 35 Whelen and 444 Marlin, and the addition of the 6.5x55 Swede, 257 Roberts, and 225 Winchester.
The fact that they are American made has also been a determining factor in my purchases of H&R products.

Price, quality, ruggedness, accuracy potential, and the handi-holic addiction are my likes. I also like the fact that with this gun I have the option to own and shoot so many different calibers for just the cost of a barrel.....and...err......all those other charges recently waived for the summer. If I don't like the choice then there are plenty here that will take that barrel off my hands and allow me to recoop most of the money I invested in it. There's also the option to make some money on it by selling it on ebay, just ask Varminter about that.  :wink:  My dislikes include all already stated with the hammer issue and the barrel interchangability issues being tops. I dislike the fact too that all the different offerings and configurations are not kept updated on the website. For those in the consumer world who don't belong to this site those options are not known about. I also dislike the fact that every time I tune into a good hunting show or shooting show it's the big name gun makers who are the sponsors. I have only seen one commercial on the outdoor channel for the NEF/H&R line. A show sponsored by and dedicated to the Marlin/H&R/NEF line would go FAR to boost sales and increase profits.

I'm actually pretty happy with what is and has been made for the line already. The re-introduction of the "red hornet" stocks and the grey laminates would be great. I find myself leaning toward the purchase of one of the WSM calibers in the future also and it would be grand if I could purchase it in an H&R/NEF. Others have voiced some fine suggestions on this in the aforementioned thread that Mac11700 posted here recently. The one biggest thing that stands out in my mind the most from that thread is more caliber offerings in the 26" barrels. I personally would like to see the 45-70 offered as a 26" barrel with a scope rail.

Can't think of any that haven't already been mentioned, but being the handi-holic that I am I feel pretty confident I would purchase some new accessories if offered.

I actually think I would if the opportunity and the funds presented themselves together.

You know already that I am certainly glad to see your appearance here and the interest that you have taken in our guns and the company that produces them. I look forward to seeing the implementation of some of our ideas and have confidence in you and your husband's resources and efforts to help provide for them.

All the best to you,
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline JPH45

H&R Survey
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005, 06:19:43 AM »
I have been buying and using H&R products for 30 years, guess that makes me long term.

I would like to see more pistol chamebrings in the Handi rifle. Strikes me that if you can get the 243,270,280, 308,30-06 and 35 Whelen to eject/extract from the barrel, it would be a snap to get the 45 ACP to do the same. No, there is not a lot of call for, no one has ever offered such a rifle, a great trainer for young shooters

A properly chambered 45 Colt would find itself a home in my house....NOW
The 410/45 Colt is an abomination that will never accurately shoot the 45 Colt.

A 32-20 would be "da bomb" (as my daughter would say), but what confuses me is that the H&R 32 Magnum has never been offered, yet this cartridge the H&R name. The near death of this cartridge is a result of gunrag writers and has nothing to do with the usefullness of the cartridge

People have wanted a 41 mag for a long time. There has also a steady demand for the 35 Remington. I'm sure neither of these would be barn burners on the profit ledger, but added together, there is a strong demand for such simple chamberings in an affordable rifle

I'm looking very strongly at the Taurus pump/lever action rifle simply because it is chambered in an offering I cannot get from you, namely the 32 Mag. Why a company would abandon it's namesake is beyond me. What kind of world would it be if Smith&Wesson didn't chamber the 357 or the 44 Mag?

On another note, I cannot imagine what it must be like to be able to imprt a firearm for less than it would cost you to build it. I have no grudge against the Chinese arms, I owned serveral of the Norinco 1911 pattern pistols and found them quite servicable. I don't buy American guns for any patriotic reasons, I buy American guns because over 30 years of using firearms I have found American steel to always have a durability, useability and resell edge that imported guns do not share.

Now for the real criticism. Marlin advertized that it was going to bring out a lever action in 32 Mag, a rifle aimed at the CAS folks. Good Move! But it ain't here yet, from what I've heard the few guns that have made it out don't funtion properly. What gives?????? If there is a reason American makers (guns, auto and otherwise) are losing ground with American buyers, this is it. Who, Who I ask would bore and rifle a barrel to far faor our of date specs, and chamber it with a neither/nor reamer???? Marlin NEF is who. I have a 38-55 NEF that is a 379 groove diameter yet will not properly chamber a case with a properly fitting bullet in it. The 38-55 Marlin lever action has the same problem. What kind of boneheadedness is this? USRA solved the problem right with the introduction of the 375 Winchester in the 94BB, they used a 375 groove diameter, the proper, modern diameter for this size. All bullets are so sized, even the bullets in the ammo Winchester makes. But who is making a barrel to fit it? Nobody. Go figure.

I purchased a 357 Magnum NEF 2.5 years ago. The throat was so long that it was impossible to make or get ammunition that fit the chamber properly. To solve it, I reamed the barrel to 357 Maximum. I took a barrel that wouldn't keep 5 shots on a paper plate at 50 yards and made a shooter out of it, so have many others. Problem is, how many purchased the NEF 357 rifle to get an inexpensive plinker gun and wound up with something that wouldn't shoot, and instead of researching and haveing the gun fixed, they sold it or traded it and now speak bad of NEF...."I had a 357 that wouldn't shoot for beans" If this is not keeping you up at night it should be. We haer the same complaint constantly of the 223. What gives? When peole talk about improving your quality control, this is the kind of problem they are talking about.

I have a frame serial NP235XXX that has the worst trigger possible on a rifle. If I send it in for another barrel, you will fix the trigger free. If you have the time to fix it now, why wasn't the time taken to fix it when it was first made? When people speak of quality control, this is what they are talking about.

Finally, it would be nice to see Marlin/NEF offer a 375 with their name on it. Lots of folks around the net ahve talked about a 375 JDJ, and all say that the 375 JDJ is a propriety round. Who is JD JOnes anyway???? Winchester offered a nice 375 cartridge years ago, the 38-56. It is a 45-70 necked down to 38 (These days it needs to be a 375) A modern version of this woudl be a seller amoung the people who are your bread and butter. It would fit easily in the NEF or the 1895/444 platform and loaded to the modern pressures usable in those rifles it would be a great big bore cartridge and would fill a hole in the existing casrtridge offerings available. No, the average American shooter wouldn't know what to do with it, but the average American shooter ain't your bread and butter. You would sell lots of these I assure you.

Would I buy stockif offered? Depends. It is hard to consider buying stock in a company that botches introductions of products aimed at their bread and butter clients (the 32 Mag Lever) it is dificult to consider buying stock when the company buys offshore product to shore up its product line while doing little to improve its product line.

My question to you is this.....Are you shooters yourselves? Do you attend CAS shoots, do you go to events like the Cast Bullet Association gathering? Do you take the time to go out to different shooting clubs and ranges and shoot and talk with the folks there?  

Tat you are here says you are making the effort, and speaks volumes to me about you. Now if I can just get you to make an H&R 32 Magnum Handi Rifle, and the 375 Marlin has a nice ring to it too  :grin:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: H&R Survey
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005, 07:05:07 AM »
Quote from: DIANAL
Hello Handiholics!
  I am new to the gun business; however, I am going to immerse myself into learning everything I can about the gun business.  

Diana Lynch

My first suggestion for you...is to become familiar with the firearms the company sells...and if you aren't already...to become a NRA member and learn about hunting and shooting.Marlin makes some fine firearms...and so to does NEF...and I think you should learn how to shoot them both...this way you can have a hands on approach and see first hand what some of our complaints are...for both companies.

Survey Questions

I am a long time user...one or two have been around for as long as I can remember...and one of my first pistols was made by H&R...

Value...no other rifle made in this country offers what you can get from NEF for the price.

Accuracy...to get this kind of accuracy from  any gun is exceptional...this is from my 30-06 UltraComp  it is a 5 shot group at 100 yards with factory ammo.

I do like the fact that the barrels can be switched...but I think it's stupid that we have to send them in to the factory...especially since we have been swapping them for along time ourselves...The barrels should be made available to us to fit ourselves...
I do not like the fact that NEF allows out of spec'd rifle barrels to leave the plant...and they do...all one has to do is to look at most of the 38-55 threads on the internet...and specificlly here to see there is a major Quality Control problem...and in the past...instead of correcting the problem they have with the chambering issues...they offer to replace or buy back the rifle...This isn't correcting the problem...it is a stop-gap method of trying to satisfy a very unhappy customer...this needs to be addressed and addressed first in my mind.
I do not like the fact that NEF idoesn't have a fully automated inventory control system set up and tied to a fully intergrated web site.If they did...we would be able to see immidiatly what parts were abvailable for purchase...and to be able to buy on line...without the need of getting several different versions of what is available when speaking to folks filling in for the normal customer service reps you have...which I might add really need a raise...these folks have been fielding our phone calls for so long along with our complaints as well...for sooo long...without ever getting the recognition they deserve.

I too would love to see NEF make a inexspensive doulble rifle...not import one from Russia as Remmington elected to do...but to use that Yankeee inginuity...and market one built  right here in the good ole USA

I would love to see a custom shop turn out a fully customized Ultra Rifle... one having a high end stock... being  fully engraved... having a recontoured hammer...the works...something to showcase what they can do...then offer their services to us...NEF and Marlin are missing the boat on this one...big time...a custom shop is intergal with most firearms manufactures...to fill the needs that we have...why go somewhere else...when we can buy directly from you...it just doesn't make sense.

Different colors for the Laminated stocks
Differnt types of woods and grades of woods for all the stocks
Different shapes for the stocks...offer a cheek piece and a classic style stock and forearm,a varmint style
Differnt synthetic stocks...somebody please...talk to the good folks at Bell  and Carlson...and get a contract with them...
Different lenght barrels for all calibers...up to 30" long for all rifle calibers
Different rifle calibers...we already have a poll here on this forum for the calibers we want...and I'll compile a seperate list for you  if you want...
Different choices for recoil pads...Limbsaver,Pachmayer...are 2 that come to mind
Offer nickled recievers, trigger gaurds...forend spacers...and these parts in stainless steel as well

Quite simply yes...in a heartbeat...

I need to say we all here appreciate you coming on line and doing this...we have been waiting for anyone from either company to step up to the plate and take charge...and I wish you the best of luck with this endevour...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Harold50

H&R Survey
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2005, 07:15:21 AM »
Best wishes
Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
H&R Survey
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2005, 07:58:06 AM »
Welcome to the board!

Long term.  I've owned H&R rifles for almost twenty years.  My first was a Topper .410, and I currently own five or six H&R rifles.

Value.  What other rifle can you buy for under $200 that will routinely average sub-MOA groups out of the box??

I wouldn't mind a better assortment of checkered stocks, and a low profile hammer would also be very nice.  Also, increase the number of chamberings available.  I would really like to see a 6.5x55 and a .35 Remington offered.  But, more than anything, I would like to see H&R offer barrel blanks in various calibers.  That way, the customer could have the barrel reamed to whatever caliber they wanted.  Also, make the twists on the .223 barrels a little faster, specifically a 1/9" twist.  

Another thing, maybe check the specs on the chamberings and the long throats some of the guns have.  It makes accuracy work a little more difficult sometimes.

Oh yeah, like it was mentioned.  Build a quality and affordable side-by-side rifle, and don't import it.  Build one in .45-70 as good as the Handi I currently have, and I'll be the first customer to buy one.  Hell, I'll even send a deposit in now!

Absolutely.  Design a quick detachable forend.  It would be rather simple to do, and would make changing barrels easier.  

Depends on the side-by-side rifle...
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
H&R Survey
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2005, 08:09:07 AM »
Hi Diana, and welcome here.

Seems there has always been an H&R around since I was a kid.  My dad was a  singleshot lover, and I"ve inherited his tastes in that.   Grew up with H&R shotguns and pistols.  I"ve owned the three I have now for some time, since around 1991.  The 45-70 has taken a lot of deer, and is my favorite hunting rifle of all time, and the 22 Hornet has been my centerfire small game caliber( I don't hunt varmits).  I carry a cut down H&R 12 Guage as my hiking/canoe gun.    My old Model 39 Marlin "Mountie" has accounted for more small game then I can even begin to count. .
       I think the comments on the trigger, one frame and barrel/chamber quality are of the most pressing concern, since they concern production now going on and far as I can see don't require much in the way of money investment.    I don't think I'd really change the basic model much to speak of....most folks, except those of us who hang around here, seem to like them for what they already are.   I ,too, would also like interchangable barrels without factory fitting, as long as it doesn't drive up costs too much.  I'm assuming you all are using some fairly old machinery. currently.
As far as offering fancier/different wood, and other extra's ......I can see that as appearing on a different model, leaving the basic model in place.  I just spent $135 for a fancy maple stock from Gunstocks Inc. for my 45/70, and even that required a fair amount of modifcation by me to meet my personal tastes.  But some plain ol' black walnut would be a nice option.  That and a return to the schnabel type forend and a straight grip option on the rifles.  The prettiest version H&R ever made of their rifle was the "Mustang" model offered years ago....presumably in deference to the European mega-buck Mustang single shot rifles.    As far as calibers go, everyone and his brother wants somethin' or another.  In my case, I'd like to see something along the lines of the English "Rook" calibers, i.e. 32-20(Had one in a Marlin classic that shot just awful), 32 H&R Mag(makes sense to me....it's ya'lls devopment), 25-20 etc.  Even a 32 S&W Long.  Those calibers are right useful for a LOT of hunting/carry rifle/survival needs, and I think that end of the caliber scale has been ignored.
      My own personal biggest complaint right now is rifle availability.  I"ve an extra straight grip stock and mannlicher forend sitting here waiting for a 22 WRM Ultra to fit them on( I HATE synthetic stocks...so I"ll be offering them here if I ever get one), and can't seem to find one for heck or highwater.  Want to use it with the newly re-introduced  22 WRF's.  Come to think of it, one of the reasons I don't own a H&R 22 so far is that all the others are just too danged LIGHT.  Nice to have a reasonably heavy (7.5 lbs or so) single shot 22 "squirrel" rifle.  Not a big fan of ultra-lights.
      Outside of that, I think Marlin/H&R have been doing a great job for a lot of years with what they already provide we shooters, and hopefully that'll continue.  Nope, wouldn't buy stock. Probably. Well, maybe. Could, I guess.

Offline getom59

H&R Survey
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2005, 09:02:42 AM »

IÂ’ve only been into your center and rim fires for the last couple years but your single shot shotguns have been the starter gun in my family for a long time.  

Born in the USA and see the next answerÂ…

From my standpoint theyÂ’re a real good fit with what I am looking for in a hunting and casual target shooting gun.  The things that I like about them are that they carry easy and shoulder well while being safe, relatively accurate, reliable, simple, functional, and theyÂ’re versatile.  Not forgetting to mention that theyÂ’re a good value.

I think youÂ’ve got it covered pretty well from my standpoint.

Yes.  My best advice is to update and keep your website current with them.

Probably not since I donÂ’t usually do individual stocks.  If youÂ’re not already a public company and if you decide to go public make sure you keep focus on the most important thing “your customers”.  DonÂ’t short change us for the sake of profits for the stock holders.