Author Topic: Which Brand Semi-V Jon Boat  (Read 2004 times)

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Which Brand Semi-V Jon Boat
« on: November 06, 2005, 08:06:03 AM »
Hi guys, I am looking for a Riveted or Welded Semi-V Jon Boat. Which brand do you reccomend? I am just going for the bench seats and tiller steer, no floor,16 foot range. Thanks-Jack.

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
which boat
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:35:08 PM »
Been watching this post for a response to this question, me to! Same boat, probably for the same reasons, and for the same area ( Western Pa. - Pgh. ) And who's a good dealer, and which brand 10 hp 4 stroke. Looks like a trip to the boat show this Jan. at the Expo Mart.
                                                                 Woodbutcher

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 04:51:09 PM »
Yep, me too!! Winter Boat Show. The Alumacraft is nice, I just got their brochure. They make them in regular beam and wide beam. No dealers close to us, according to their website :( I would probably pick up a used 9.9 or 15 2 stroker for her. Jack.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 09:48:23 AM »
Most of the aluminum boat makers all have the same parent company.I went with a Lowes about 8 years ago,with a 25 hp Evinrude.FUEL HOG! Got better mileage from a 50 Merc on a heavier boat.Have heard the same complaints from others with same motor.Boat is holding up fine.A friend had a 16' Lowes for years.Used almost daily for fishing,crabbing (commercially),trapping,ducking,etc.Finally wore the hull thru from beaching it multiple times per day,for decades.He replaced it with the same.He uses a 25 Yamaha (4 stroke) most times,and an old 7 1/2 for duck hunting.
Another friend picked up a used Sea Ark-welded and heavier gauge a few years back,and put a 25 hp, 4 stroke Merc on it.Although it and the boat (and him) are heavier than my rig,he'll out run me,and do it on less than half the fuel.If you're going to use the rig much,go 4 stroke,esp. with today's gas prices.
There's a dealer in Ashland,VA-Ed'sMarineSuperstore,that is hard to beat on motors/package deals,when on sale,and another place in DE-my friend got his Merc for about $2,000 + no sales tax there.I'd MUCH rather go with a used boat/trailer and a new motor.Good luck,Dave

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Which boat?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »
DaveP, now that's insight that I need! Thank you! I might be a bit far from the dealers you recommended, Slayer might be too. However for such a savings, maybe not.
 I think 4 cycle is the way to go. Don't need or want more than 10 hp.
 I'd much rather go with a used boat ,trailer, and new motor too, but some of the used rigs I've seen, were kinda pricey. They was proud of them boats! Oh well, this is good boat buying season now. woodbutcher

Offline peakoftherut

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 04:27:01 PM »
If you want some general advice I would say Alumacraft is good and Lund is better. I would think in your area you could find a Grumman dealer. They make great canoes so I would assume if they make a jon boat it would be first class as well.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 10:17:50 AM »
You can try thr Dollar Ads,Pennysaver type sales fliers,and see what's out there.I even ran a few "Wanted to Buy" ads,when I was looking for a 12'V.
Got all kinds of calls.Heck,a few were even for a 12'V! Sometimes someone has what you're looking for,and aren't using it.Your ad gets them to thinking-next thing you know,they're calling you.I've also had luck just asking someone if I see something (boat,car,tractor,etc) just sitting outback,unused.(Make sure they have a clear title,or whatever your state requires.I passed up a free Duracraft and a Smokercraft because of the hoops you have to jump thru here-they were on the place when the guy bought it,and no luck getting a duplicate title transfer from former owner's heirs).I'd still check Eds websit-gives you a feel for what the going rate is.Dave

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Boat
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 02:19:23 PM »
More good stuff! Thank you gentlemen!

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas :D Jack.