Author Topic: National Database of stolen guns?  (Read 15953 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
National Database of stolen guns?
« on: May 03, 2005, 05:39:19 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a listing of stolen firearms that can be found online?  NCIC or something?
....make it count

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:09:51 AM »
There is such a data base but it's only availible to law enforcement. It's part of the LEADS system(Law Enforcement Automated Data System). This is the same one they use to run Lic Plates, Criminal Historys etc. Once a gun is entered it will stay in the system untill found. A friend of mine lost his Rem. 1100 and an extra bbl in a burglery three years ago in Ohio.  A S. Carolina PD got a hit when they ran the ser.# through LEADS.  They had busted a pawnshop owner for dealing drugs, and ran the guns in the store through NCIC. My friend got the gun and the extra bbl. back thru the insurance co.Who was listed as the owner after they had paid him for the loss three years ago. They paid him $600 originally and he paid them what they called a "salvage" price of $200. Condition was the same as when he lost it. It was probably just traded back and forth for drugs till it landed in SC.

So write down those ser.#'s and make sure if you have a loss that the PD enters it into LEADS.

The reason LEADS isn't availible to the public is due to the fact that there is so much information contaited in it, ID theft would be easier than jaywalking. To the point that it's a felony to give any info to anyone other than law enforcement. I'm a LEADS certified Dispatcher at the local PD.
Dave375HH

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 09:00:42 AM »
Thanks Dave.  I was just wondering if there was a way to check a firearm's history before making a private purchase.  I guess not.
....make it count

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Stolen Guns
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 01:55:05 PM »
Actually, NCIC is where the guns are entered as stolen, but you must have a serial number.  As for LEADS Online, this is a program the police department must pay, due to this company being private, and the fee is paid once a year.  It is actually free for the pawnshops to enter the information, and LEADS Online will actually provide the pawnshop with all the programs.  This allows the detective to check pawnshops.  Some agencies, that have officers assigned full-time to pawnshop details, will check items in pawnshops for stolen, but most do not.  

I've found several stolen items in pawnshops by chance, but by far the best way is with a serial number.  So, if you haven't done so already, WRITE DOWN YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS, and keep these in a safe place.  Not only write down your guns, but everything else......It would help people like me out in a great way......Oh, by the way, don't put these numbers on your laptop computer and not print them.  One of the last cases I worked was a burglary where the guy's laptop computer was also stolen and he had no serial numbers.  

For more info, you can go to www.leadsonline.com

You will not be able to access it as a private person, but you can read up on this program.  For any police agency, check with them and see what you can get...... 8)

Offline RipOne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 03:32:50 AM »
After reading this, I think I'll go have a talk with our PD and see if my stolen guns are on this list.

7 years ago, my complete collection was stolen - 9 Rifles, all quality.  I gave them pictures, serial number, complete detailed discriptions and a suspect ......... the suspect came up missing same time of the theft / they found him in Northern Mi ......... he refused a Polly Test - End Of Story.

Everything I gave the PD was in writing - accrate and detailed. I recieved a note from them saying what they entered into some tracking record - they entered 22 Cal Shotgun and a bunch of errors like that. They didn't enter all of the guns - said thay don't do that ......... said, you have insurance don't you ? ..........WOW ...... just regular insurance, got $1900 which was the limit .............. guns, scopes and all were worth $8000 back then. Those guns would have to of shown up somewhere .... if tracked.
David L Hunt ... Breath 1-2-3 Pulse-Pull

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Guns
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »
RipOne,

I can't speak for that PD, but here, EVERY gun gets entered into NCIC if there is a serial number.  Guns, I believe, are the only item that NEVER gets purged from the computer.  I've run serial numbers before and got hits from guns that were entered by in the late 60's.  I think the oldest hit I got was a pistol that was stolen in New York City in 1962.  SO, I would check with that police department and ask if these were entered, and if not, go to the TOP and find out why.  

Bob :sniper:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 03:04:34 PM »
:agree: , I agree, good info, take your old report with you, ask them to query the serial numbers and to make sure they are in the system, if not make sure they ARE entered into the system. It would just take a little time, less than 30 minutes at the most to check all the guns, depending on how fast the system was running and how busy the dispatcher was. If they wanted they could just have an officer do it at a time he had a few moments to spare....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HapsKatch22

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 09:46:08 AM »
I know it's been 4 months since this topic was addressed but I have a question some of the police officers may be able to answer.

The data base is only available to police departments because of personal information and I understand that. Here's the question. Would a new data base with just serial numbers,descriptions,make, models of stolen guns be feasible? Information without getting into the personal info. to prevent misuse? Wouldn't such a data base allow people to search and compare numbers, then notify the proper authorities if matched numbers could be found? Web-site owner could generate web "hot lists" to pawn shops,gunsmiths,used shops etc.etc. in different areas of the country? If only a few could be found, it would be worth it?  Just an idea. HapsKatch22

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: National Database of stolen guns?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 02:20:44 AM »
NCIC only lists info of the stolen gun, serial number, caliber/gauge, make, date of loss and entering department. If a match is found by a querying department they must contact the entering department for confirmation and more information. There is no personal information such as owners name, address,  etc. entered into the database....<><.... :)

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gunnut69

Re: National Database of stolen guns?
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:41:51 AM »
I don't know if all departments will do this but the local scheriffs office will run a serial number if you call in. They will want your personal info and I'd expect a visit if the number turns up as stolen. I usually call in any weapons I buy, even from friends. It just keeps things simpler..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."