Author Topic: Haven't the Foggiest Notion  (Read 961 times)

Offline CornCod

• Trade Count: (0)
Haven't the Foggiest Notion
« on: March 21, 2005, 03:34:33 PM »
My girlfriend has expressed an interest in going boating. Where I live there are plenty of large lakes that rent boats of various kinds. Problem is, I don't have the foggiest notion of how to use an outboard motor. Do these rental places give folks little lessons on how to use outboard motors or will these guys just chase me away as a potential hazard to navigation? 10 years ago, just for the heck of it, I took the Coast Guard Auxillary Safety Course, but that is all I know.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 03:17:00 AM »
You don't say where you are located but they might chase you away. Here in Bama you're required to have a boat operator's amendment to your driver's license to legally operate a motor powered boat on public waters. I'd think anyone renting a boat here would check to verify you have it prior to renting. As backward as Bama's laws are in general I'd think if we have such most all states had it before us.

If you rent one with normal steering wheel it's not "all that much different" than driving a car. Different yes but not so much so. Now if you get one with just an outboard on back with tiller steer that is a whole bunch different and does take a bit of getting used to.

Guess I don't know the asnwer to your question. Why not call some local places and ask.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline CornCod

Thanks Greybeard
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:28:19 PM »
Thanks Greybeard! I have actually steered a boat before, so that should not be a problem. I just need to learn about starting the things, but I recall that they are similar to lawn mowers. Here in Arkansas, I hear you don't need a boating license, just a drivers license. I suppose I will just have to find someone in the local boating industry and leave the rest to caution and logic. Heck, if I can field-strip an AR-15, I guess I can find a way to start a boat!

Thanks!

Offline jgalar

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 01:29:19 AM »
If you rent a small boat with something like a 5 hp engine you won't have any problems. If you rent a small boat with a twist grip 35hp engine thats a different story.

Offline Cap'n Jon

• Avid Poster
    • http://yoopersportsman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 04:05:13 PM »
Corncod...

The rentals should be more than happy to show you how it run's. Let them know you've driven boats before...

Offline CornCod

Easy as Pie
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 04:36:40 PM »
Last weekend I rented a 20 foot party barge and took the girlfriend out for a jaunt. The whole thing was easy. The rental people gave me a five minute lesson and off I went.

In fact, I like this boating thing so much that I am going to look into buying a small, used boat.