Author Topic: Fishing pontoon boat  (Read 911 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Fishing pontoon boat
« on: December 07, 2004, 08:26:56 AM »
Anyone else have a pontoon boat set up for fishing?  I have an 18' Sweetwater Fish & Cruise.  It has a bow mounted electric trolling motor and a livewell.  I've added a Lowrance with the transducer at the stern and have an older Hummingbird with the transducer mounted on the trolling motor.  Also have a hand-help GPS mounted on the dash and four rod holders.

Not exactly a bass boat, but sure works on the lake I keep her on.

Offline Cap'n Jon

• Avid Poster
    • http://yoopersportsman.com
I have a 24 foot Monark...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 03:58:19 AM »
I have a 24 foot SunCaster Monark...I bought it new in '92. It came standard w/ a 40 horse...Ha! I bought the 90 hp Merc, shoulda went w/ the max hp...the 115 Merc, but the 90 can pull a skier pretty good.  I got the fishermans pkg...2 live wells, 130+Qt cooler, hardtop, and had the local canvas maker sew a complete sunbrella enclosure w/ 4 doors and 8 windows w/ screens,,,I haven't splashed it in a couple years, but I used to spend the weekends anchored off somewhere to fish and camp...

Everybody scoffed about owning a pontoon over a ski boat, or something else so I namedd it "T Double J'...Meaning "Their Just Jealous"!!  Ha! I goes offshore, hauls ass up river against the current and sleep 4 comfortably! :D  :D

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
Fishing pontoon boat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:34:50 AM »
The lake I'm on has a 25hp limit and I got a great deal if I took the 9.9 with my boat.  Since it's strictly for fishing and an occasional ride around the lake, the 9.9 is fine.  It's a 4-stroke so it idles along nicely while I troll.

This summer I plan to do a lot of night fishing and am in the process of rigging lantern holders, etc.  It should be great for catfishing and I also plan to try night trolling for saugeyes.