Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 896 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Winterizing
« on: September 05, 2004, 11:35:13 AM »
Got a quick question. Anybody have a tru-fire method of winterizing their outboard? And does anybody use that Sta-Bil stuff? Thanx :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
winterizing outboards
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 05:54:18 PM »
Fisherman, Just run the gas out of it. If you want to leave fuel in it then I use a product called "Sea Foam" it is a fuel stabilizer and water remover. I use this in my cabin cruiser year round. I did leave it sit for a year once and the fuel was fine. I also add it to the tank of my outboards. Hope this helps, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Cap'n Jon

• Avid Poster
    • http://yoopersportsman.com
Winterizing
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 03:45:50 PM »
I use sta-bil all the time and I always fog my motor every winter...I do the same with my atv and snow machines before putting up after the season.  There might be a couple other product's out there like sta-bil, but I've never used them...If you don't want to fog your outboard then just pull the spark plugs and put a couple drops of 30 weight in each cylinder and put in gear and turn your prop a few rev's...that will work too.

Offline hh4064

• Avid Poster
batteries
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 03:38:18 AM »
I was told to leave the batteries in the boat with a good charge
I live in Michigan
any thoughts

Offline Cap'n Jon

• Avid Poster
    • http://yoopersportsman.com
Winterizing
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 12:45:31 AM »
You can leave the batteries in the boat, but i would put a charge to them every month for an hour or so...Nothing higher than 10-20 amps though...No need to boil them...Some say it is easier to pull the batteries and store in the garage (not on the cement, they'll discharge).

My old 1 ton 4x4 sit's out back and the battery is okay in that, but from not using the truck all the time the battery life is cut in half from being idle.