Author Topic: new decks big improvement  (Read 785 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
new decks big improvement
« on: August 14, 2004, 09:36:53 AM »
I am so pleased with new decks I just had to share it here.  Last fall my  18 foot Hewescraft Sea Runner was performing poorly, especially with hunting pal, camping gear and a moose in it.  I started looking for a fix.  I had noticed the wooden decks were mighty heavy when I had replaced the water logged floatation a couple years ago.

So I pulled out some deck pieces and weighed them.  A 12 x 28 inch piece weighed 13 pounds and was dripping water.  A 26 x 63 inch piece was over 40 pounds, a 63 x 48 piece weighed 72 pounds - also dripping water .  That did it.  I decided to spend the $ and replace the wood decks with 1/8 aluminum diamond plate.  The replacement piece for that small deck weighed 5 pounds, the 48 x63 weighed 36 or 37 pounds.  All told, I've reduced deck weight by 113 pounds - weighed.  The boat trims out much better, floats higher, and handles with much more agility.  I gained 3 to 6 mhp on smooth water, and I can haul a lot more gear, gas, or meat than before.  At  $14.83 +tax / square foot it was expensive but at $3.52 / gal for gas in Dillingham AK and a rumored $3.90/ gal in Ekwok (if they'll sell it to you) I figure I'll recover my costs fairly quickly - and the deck will never get water soaked again.  Another advantage,  fish slime, game blood and other stuff can't soak in to the deck to stink and attract bears.

I checked, my replaced floatation was still dry and light.  I got rid of the old urethane roofing sheets.  Cut 1 and 2 inch pink foam blocks, then painted each piece with 2 coats of gloss Latex enamel.  It seems to work much better.

'Course it helped to tune the jet impeller too.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA