Author Topic: New Ojibway Canoe by Old Town  (Read 2842 times)

Offline BattleRifleG3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New Ojibway Canoe by Old Town
« on: July 13, 2004, 08:01:50 PM »

Saw one at Gander Mountain and was very impressed.  Price tag was $550, but could be had for $500 with a charge card deal.

Anyone know anything about these super comfortable space age designed canoes?  Is it worth $500?  It's 15'8" long
Moderator at www.gunandgame.com

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 03:21:26 AM »
Found them in yellow at Dick's.  Very tempting.  Wish it came in red though.

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 06:45:53 PM »
Dick's wants $400.  Note sure which color I want yet.  I'm penniless, but am going to Cabela's tommorrow, and if their deal beats the one at Dick's, I might cave...

Felt them up today, felt very sturdy compared to a similarly modeled but more expensive Mad River canoe.

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 08:08:02 PM »
Welp, I bought an Ojibway today.  It was the same color you see, and it was $350 + tax at Dick's Sporting goods.  Plan to take it out tommorrow and give a report.

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 07:41:28 PM »
Took it out on the Shenango River today.  Held up very well.  They're not kidding about the 980lb capacity.  It held four adults with buoyancy to spare.

It is, however, one of the tippier canoes I've paddled.  They're correct when they say it combines the best of a canoe and kayak.  It seems designed for skilled canoeists with good, flexible balance to navigate rivers and dodge obstacles.  Couldn't really use it to its potential with four college aged adults who had varying degrees of balance and maturity.  But it certainly has promise.  We managed to avoid tipping by a very thin margin.

The sales clerks at Dick's said this is the heaviest canoe they carry. Seems to be worth it in rigidity.  Its shape made it much more steady on the top of my truck than my deceased fiberglass canoe.

I'm thinking of upgrading a few things about it.  Its hull is made of a lighter-than-water system of layered polymer, so it has no built in floatation.  I thought filling the bow, stern, and moulded gunnels with polyeurethane foam might aid in floatation in case it got swamped.  Also maybe epoxy a layer on the bow and stern to aid in impact resistance and possibly even help it cut the water better.  Might also carve the rear seat out a bit, after filling the inside with polyeurethane foam.  It squeezed me pretty hard.  Yes I was cramped, but I'm not a huge guy and it really clamped my rear end in there.  Might build up a padding system instead.  Also want to add provisions for a painter rope, and possibly some storage compartments.  Sure it will add weight, but it could use some more weight on the bottom to stabilize it out.

Any thoughts on this?

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:03:25 AM »
I've since taken it over 60miles, many of that class I and up to class II whitewater.  It's held up very well.  The polymer hull does scratch very easily, but also deflects well and as a whole the canoe is very stiff.  It did a lot of things my old canoe couldn't.  Only real drawback to it is that it moves a lot sideways, I guess due to its smooth round bottom.  My old canoe had a shape that helped to straighten it somewhat.  Perhaps I'll improvise a keel for it.  Any suggestions?

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 05:55:40 PM »
I'm in the process of installing a keel for it as well as giving it a nice coat of epoxy.