Author Topic: Aluminum Canoe Sources  (Read 1029 times)

Offline BattleRifleG3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Aluminum Canoe Sources
« on: June 17, 2004, 07:58:28 PM »
I'm looking towards getting an aluminum canoe, probably a Grumman, but don't want to spend a lot (I know you hate to hear such things), I'm thinking in the $300 or lower range.

I'm guessing there's no way to get a decent aluminum canoe new at that price range.  Are there any brands besides Grumman that are worth a thought?  This would be for mild whitewater, such as heavily wooded creeks in western PA.  I would say Class III max, more likely class II.

I see a few on E-bay in my price range, any suggestions on what to look for?  Any better sources of used specimens?
Moderator at www.gunandgame.com

Offline savageT

Aluminum Canoe Sources
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 03:00:31 AM »
I can't tell you except to check local "Pennysavers" or newspaper classifieds.  I bought and sold a 17' Grumman years ago for $100.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Aluminum Canoe Sources
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 03:43:02 AM »
A bunch of years ago I bought my 18' aluminum canoe from Bass Pro Shops.  Ordered in over the phone and it came to just under $400 shipped to a local frieght yard here.

It was some brand that I had never heard of and the aluminum was of a lighter gauge than Grumman, but that worked out well as it weighed a whole lot less.

Still have it and it's just as good as when I got it.  Thats the nice thing about aluminum, sun does not rot it out like fiberglass or other materials.

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
Aluminum Canoe Sources
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 07:32:30 AM »
I keep my fiberglass canoe indoors and am glad to know that Aluminum's the only choice for outdoor storage.

I'll remember the Bass Pro Shops, thanks.  Would such a canoe be competent on whitewater?  Does it have a good river keel?

Thanks!
Moderator at www.gunandgame.com

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Aluminum Canoe Sources
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 07:37:41 AM »
It has a paronounced metal keel and might work, but I would probably only use it on quiet water.