Author Topic: Boat Building  (Read 900 times)

Offline jackfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Boat Building
« on: March 24, 2004, 06:45:21 AM »
I am preparing to build a stitch and glue 23'6" river cruiser.  I was wondering if anyone here has built a large boat, either traditional or composite hull.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Wrong Way

• Trade Count: (0)
Boat Building
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »
I have never built a boat of that size. I've built a number of Six Hour canoes and just finished a stitch and glue modified pram called the PK-78 from Bateau.com. I have their plans for a 14 ft flat skiff, but I think my next boat will be the Croc from Gator Boats. I like stitch and glue boat building. I glassed the entire bottom inside and out on the pram. Glad I did. I launched it into the river, powered by a 34lb electric motor. It's quick, stable and everything I hoped it would be. Plan on using a 3.5hp on the croc. Boat of the size your going to do poses some challenges. Hope you got lots of room and a few strong men to flip and move that thing. I can't move anything over 8ft by myself. What brand of epoxy are you going to use? How heavy of cloth? I used 9oz on the seams of my little boats and am able to get away with 4oz on the bottom. Worked well on the little squirts. :grin: Best of luck!