Author Topic: Shooting session this morning 4-7-2021  (Read 338 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Shooting session this morning 4-7-2021
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:09:31 AM »
I finally got around to shooting the new Model 17 today. I took it out this morning to my back yard range. I started on paper at about 10 yards. The first group was tight but high. I adjusted the rear sight all the way down and moved the target to 25 yards.

It's still a little high but a 6 o'clock hold results in hits even on my smaller swingers when I do my part.

I guess I ran about 50-60 rounds thru it both on paper and on metal targets.

This afternoon my Pachmayr grips came in and they are now on it.

After I shot the Model 17 I broke out my new S&W Shield EZ and fired it for the first time. I ran a box of 50 FMJ bullets thru it first and then shot a magazine full of hand loaded JHPs thru it.

All shooting was on the 12" gong target at 25 yards. I did hit it every time but did hit it darn near every time. Sights are fine as they came from the factory for both the FMJ factory ammo and the JHP reloaded ammo.

I'm not in love with that grip safety on it. A couple of times it seemed to pinch my hand and unless I hold it with a near death grip it tends to disengage and the gun won't fire  unless it is fully engaged.

Other than that it was 100% reliable in feeding, chambering and firing. It will take some more familiarization before I'd carry it but it is up to the task. The stippling on the grip is quite sharp and more aggressive than I like. I've seen that comment in one review as well.

As long as I grip it tightly and do my part it hits metal each shot even at 25 yards which is way long for self defense but shooting at that range prevents me from having to walk out each time to shoot from shorter range on metal targets.

My left hand still has not recovered from the surgery on Dec. 15 of last year. I'm becoming concerned it never will full recover. Using a two hand grip hurts the left wrist and a one hand hold was more comfortable for me.

Loading the magazines which are supposed to be EZ to load was different than when I had both hands usable. I stood the magazines on their base and pulled down on the magazine tabs (like rimfire semiautos have). I piled 8 rounds on the bench and picked them up one at a time with left hand and dropped them in after right hand pulled down the tabs. It was fairly EZ but strange with minimal use of left hand.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Re: Shooting session this morning 4-7-2021
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:33:56 AM »
The new Shield EZ

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
And all three of the guns recently purchased.

All S&Ws, the Model 17 to left, Model 14 to the right and the Shield EZ in front.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »
That 17 is a nice looking revolver Bill. I had never seen one before.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »
Love that model 17!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »
I'm a lifelong Smith and Wesson wheel gun fan. Nice Bill.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett