Author Topic: How new munitions are developed..  (Read 958 times)

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
How new munitions are developed..
« on: March 19, 2021, 05:21:27 AM »
  Several years ago before he went to work for NATO, my grandson worked for a private arms development firm.  He was tasked with developing a new 40mm grenade, for use in a launcher.

First off, he had to build his own launcher.  Then after tests confirmed the efficacy of the round, he used an M-19 launcher (as he had used in Iraq) to demonstrate it for use in auto fire.

Shown here, assembling "one off" hand built launcher, with chrony.  Also shown, shoulder fired 40mm launcher, with new rounds.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline ironglows

Re: How new munitions are developed..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:34:43 AM »
 The firm he worked for bought a farm, for a place where they could test their weapons on.  One day during the 40mm testing, the CEO rode out with him of the farm. 

That morning, there was a farm house standing there yet.  When they left that afternoon..there was no more farm house!
  How many here would like that kind of job?  My grandson does that kind of work in his daily job..  Tough work;... but somebody has to do it !

Below pics..hand built launcher....and success, with the M19 fully auto!
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline ironglows

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »
 ..Again, I am siurprised...I thought some may be interested in how new military developments are brought about..

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 10:46:26 AM »
I didn’t see the thread until today.  I sometimes miss’em on this mini iPad.

Now I would love a job with munitions that I don’t have to pay for.
I would guess that most red blooded American men like explosions.   I do.
He’s a blessed guy.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 02:17:47 PM »
I'm to old for a new career, but, that career would suit me fine. I wonder does his job ever get old? Bet not ;D
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline ironglows

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 02:30:15 AM »
  Unfortunately today, since he now works in weapons for NATO, unlike jobs he has held..he cannot share ANYTHING concerning his job.
  The work shown here, was for a private company, so I received the photois...but I cannot and would not pry into his work now, even though I know he is working with weapons and munitions...and demonstrating any such weapons...whatever they may be.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 03:07:03 AM »
  Unfortunately today, since he now works in weapons for NATO, unlike jobs he has held..he cannot share ANYTHING concerning his job.
  The work shown here, was for a private company, so I received the photois...but I cannot and would not pry into his work now, even though I know he is working with weapons and munitions...and demonstrating any such weapons...whatever they may be.
That's quite understandable.   He would probably go to prison if he shared pictures with you.
But you could tell him that the members here wouldn't let out his secrets for a couple of pictures. ;D ;D
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglows

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 08:27:50 AM »
That's quite understandable.   He would probably go to prison if he shared pictures with you.
But you could tell him that the members here wouldn't let out his secrets for a couple of pictures. ;D ;D

The photos you see here are from a previous job, years ago..when he was working for a private company, and nothing was involved regarding security.