Author Topic: Having a little 22 Bator fun.  (Read 992 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Having a little 22 Bator fun.
« on: March 19, 2021, 01:07:48 AM »
I bought the mold seven (7) years ago, in April of 2014.  Has it been that long?  In April of 2015 I got around to casting a few, which was early in my learning curve for that boolit mold.  These first "plinkers" were weight sorted, wrinkled, few culled back into the pot, water dropped, gas checked, sized to 0.225", lubed, and shot on a 2" x 2" black with 1" diameter white target.  The "best" powder load for boolit weight (50.5 gr.) and bull barrel combination was:

50-yards [2015]

Now, 2021, I have returned my focus to the Bator, pouring them in multiple thousands with very few rejects.  For fun, I loaded the last of the 2015 plinker rejects into some set aside cases with improperly "mashed" primers (the military crimp had not previously been removed - another learning curve), measured powder, similar c.o.a.l, and headed to the range to shoot them up.  Why not put them on paper targets IF the primers go off, if not, meh?

100-yards [2021]

I shot the lower 4" x 4" red with 2" diameter white target labeled "1" first, then "2", then "3" adjusting the scope as noted.  Not impressive results, but fun none-the-less.  I will follow these at the range this coming week with some very well made Bator rounds just as soon as this poor weather passes (rain mostly).  I expect MUCH better results from the Bull Barrel Handi-rifle and if not with this IMR4227 powder, then I'll find another.

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Having a little 22 Bator fun.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:17:19 AM »
I size that Bullet to .229 for the Throat of My Handi...

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
No leading for me at an interpolated (Lyman #4) 2110 fps.  Perhaps I will need to size these boolits larger as I move forward with more accurate rounds, but that assumes I can FIND a larger 223 lube-sizer die in some supply house.

Note:  There is no 50.5 grain boolit in Lyman #4.  I interpolated between 44 grain and 55 grain boolit velocity for IMR4227 powder. 

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 11:31:19 PM »
I have an old Lyman/Ideal mold for that bullet.  I've cast a few but I've never shot any.  If I can find data for it, I plan to see if my K-Hornet will shoot them ok and if not, there's always my Handi rifle...

Around 10 years ago I bought a new Lyman mold for a 46gr .225 bullet but I've never been able to get them to drop out right.  Since I'll have the Hornet to shoot soon, I should probably give that mold another try.

Tony

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 02:32:53 AM »
I discussed my Bator goals with a local Gun Store guy.  He suggested that my 1:9 Handi-rifle twist is too fast, better suited to stabilize a longer and heavier 60+ gr. projectile, and that the Standard 1:12 Handi-barrel would be better suited to the 50 gr. Bator.  IDK. 

I stopped trying with the Bator (for a while) in favor of an RCBS 22-55-SP with gas check.  I think I heard someone say "squirrel"...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »
I powdercoated the ones ya sent me they shoot well in the BEE but the K Hornet dosent like any cast so far. Picked up a MP 40g HP mold that the Bee also loves!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 11:42:11 PM »
I "dabbled" in powder coating a little (so far), made a few Bator and RCBS 22-55-SP with Smokes powders, then loaded 'em to jacketed velocities.  Most never made it to the target.  Somewhere, beyond the barrel that I didn't see, there must have been a lead dust cloud when the boolits disintegrated.

The scope is now totally screwed up from moving the reticle to the one or two boolit holes that actually made the target.  I'll start again, from scratch, with jacketed bullets.  Right now, that Handi-rifle is mostly useless for accuracy beyond about 50 feet or it could be used as a bludgeon...

cw - let me know if you want or need any more - maybe a trade.  I've got thousands...and I owe you.  I like the look of those HP's.   Here is a mix of mostly Bators and 22-55-SPs with some 38 WC's and 357 SWC's thrown in:

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 01:53:19 AM »
Thats a great start!!

I am getting low but have t shot them in a spell.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.