Author Topic: Florida fishermen catch a Warsaw Grouper that was bigger than a man: ‘It was a m  (Read 505 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/florida-fishermen-catch-giant-warsaw-grouper-bigger-man-it-was-a-monster

BlacktipH Fishing’s Joshua Jorgensen documented the catch of a giant Warsaw Grouper on his YouTube channel

By Cortney Moore | Fox News

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.

That’s the mantra BlacktipH Fishing Show’s founder and producer Joshua Jorgensen embodied when he set out to catch a Warsaw Grouper alongside Capt. Jason Boyll of SoNar Fishing – a professional fishing charter based in Sarasota, Fla.

After making multiple attempts to catch the deep-water fish, which is known to grow to an impressive size, the duo finally reeled in a behemoth at Pulley Ridge, according to a statement Jorgensen sent to Fox News.

The coral reef system is located around 140 miles offshore from Fort Myers in the Gulf of Mexico, and is home to the grouper breed and other fish species.

Jorgensen wrote the journey to get to Pulley Ridge took about four hours on a 42-foot boat, however the group of anglers didn’t have to wait long with their Banded Rudderfish bait.

"Within five minutes of fishing, Jason got a bite on his reel. He started reeling and the line got very tight," BlacktipH Fishing’s news release reads. "A giant Warsaw had taken the bait!"

Boyll reportedly reeled the fish 150 feet up in a span of 10 minutes while Jorgensen switched places and "continued cranking the fish all the way to the surface."

The two anglers reportedly reeled in the fish in less than a half hour. (BlacktipH Fishing Show)

Both men reeled in the large fish, which Jorgensen estimated took between 15 and 20 minutes of "fight time" and more than 400 feet of hand-cranked line.

"It was a monster! The fish floated to the surface and we all started screaming," Jorgensen explained. "We didn’t realize how difficult it would be to bring this fish in the boat. It took four grown men to lift this fish over the gunnels and into the boat."

The caught grouper measured longer than seven feet and had sharp dorsal spines that measured over two feet in length.

The Warsaw Grouper measured longer than seven feet and weighed more than 250 pounds. (BlacktipH Fishing Show)

When it was weighed the next day, a tractor was used to pull the fish off the boat. The tractor’s attached scale showed the group’s catch was heavier than their initial 250-pound estimate.

"The scale read 294lbs, which means this fish was well over 300lbs when we caught him," Jorgensen suggested. "These fish normally lose 10% of their body weight before we can get them to the dock."

He went on to add that their joint catch had been the biggest Warsaw Grouper he’s seen in person.

Previously, Jorgensen and Boyll had tried to catch a Warsaw Grouper together in 2019 and 2020. They finally accomplished their goal on Jan. 22, 2021.

Last year, Boyll made headlines for catching a 350-pount Warsaw Grouper. The FWC Fish and Wildlife Research Institute put out a statement on Facebook at the time that encouraged anglers to avoid fishing the species since its population status in the Gulf of Mexico is unknown.

The world record for a caught Warsaw Grouper belongs to Steve Haeusler, who caught a 436-pounder in December 1985, according to the International Game Fish Association.

Cortney Moore is a Digital Associate Writer/Producer for Fox Business. Follow her on Twitter at @CortneyMoore716.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
I wonder if they are edible at that size.  A lot of fish start tasting "fishy" as they grow.

Flathead catfish remain good when they get large, but I don't know about scaly fish.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I wonder if they are edible at that size.  A lot of fish start tasting "fishy" as they grow.

Flathead catfish remain good when they get large, but I don't know about scaly fish.
I find cats do lose taste when they get bigger, I prefer them about 10" or so.  I never caught any huge saltwater fish, but find the ones I did catch more flavorful than freshwater fish.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
All the salt fish I've ever caught
whether inshore in the marshes
or out in the gulf were good
regardless of size. I don't know,
but I believe "fishy " tasting fish
is a freshwater thing
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline BUGEYE

I find cats do lose taste when they get bigger, I prefer them about 10" or so.  I never caught any huge saltwater fish, but find the ones I did catch more flavorful than freshwater fish.
Yeah, I caught some red snapper on a party boat one time, and my Mom fried up the BEST fish I've ever eaten.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Ranger99

JMHO-  cutting smaller pieces to
cook of a larger freshwater fish
will help the taste considerably.
Before any breading or coating,
I also soak the pieces in salty
water in the refrigerator beforehand.
You can see an oil slick on the
soaking water afterwards
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline Ranger99

Most any snappers are good
grilled or baked also
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline BUGEYE

All the salt fish I've ever caught
whether inshore in the marshes
or out in the gulf were good
regardless of size. I don't know,
but I believe "fishy " tasting fish
is a freshwater thing
Like was said above, I prefer "fiddler" cats 10" to 12" for flavor.  besides, that the only size I can catch. :)
My favorite freshwater fish is bluegill or red ear, and I keep'em alive till I'm ready to kill'em and either dress them whole or filet them.
Handled that way, they are never fishy.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Ranger99

I've never had a bad tasting bream 
I filleted em for a long time, but I'd
as soon scale and cook whole as
the other
Let's go Brandon  !