Author Topic: 5 of the Best Bullets for Handgun Hunters  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
5 of the Best Bullets for Handgun Hunters
« on: February 14, 2021, 06:10:49 PM »
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/best-bullets-for-handgun-hunters/

These five projectiles provide the consistent terminal performance you need to take down big game with a handgun

By Brad Fitzpatrick

February 11, 2021

There are a number of suitable handgun cartridges for big-game hunting, but to obtain the best performance you need the right bullet—a lesson I learned the hard way on my first handgun hunt. When I was a teenager, I wanted to take up the mantle of handgun hunting and chose a suitable weapon—a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum—that I could shoot accurately to 50 yards. When a whitetail doe came within range I fired, but there was no visible reaction from the deer. I fired again and the deer started moving, and by the third shot the deer was at a full run. I was certain that I had somehow missed the shot.

But I hadn’t missed. The bullets I was using weren’t holding up. Even though the doe died within 100 yards I could have (and should have) ended it much more quickly. The right bullet would have done the job, and after that first experience, I’m more particular about my handgun hunting bullets.

Selecting the proper handgun bullet can be daunting, but there are several good options available today that will dispatch game quickly and effectively. Here are five cartridges hunters can depend on.

1. Federal Fusion

Federal's Fusion bullets have a molecularly-bonded lead core.Federal Premium Ammunition

It’s not uncommon for centerfire bullet technology to cross over to handguns, and that’s the case with Fusion. Federal’s Fusion bullets are popular because they offer a molecularly-bonded lead core and copper jacket that ensures maximum weight retention and reliable expansion. Fusion bullets have skives in their jackets, and those skives initiate expansion even at low velocities. This combination of low velocity expansion and bonded bullet toughness make Fusion bullets a versatile choice for handgun hunters. What’s more, Fusion ammunition is relatively affordable for quality handgun hunting ammunition: the 10mm load shown here is a new addition to the line and cost $28 per 20. That load drives a 200-grain Fusion bullet at a velocity of 1,200 fps and generates plenty of punch for deer-sized game.

2. Hornady MonoFlex

MonoFlex bullets create large wound channels and impart tremendous hydrostatic shock.Hornady

Hornady’s Handgun Hunter ammunition utilizes MonoFlex bullets that feature a copper alloy jacket with an elastomer insert. When the bullet strikes, the elastomer compresses rapidly and initiates expansion. Skives on the bullet further help with expansion, and MonoFlex bullets create large wound channels and impart tremendous hydrostatic shock. This effective transfer of energy ensures clean, consistent kills, and that’s what I experienced while hunting whitetails in Nebraska with this ammo. I killed three deer on that trip—two bucks and a doe—with two different .44 Magnum handguns firing MonoFlex bullets. Ranges varied between 50 to 65 yards and all three were one-shot kills. Later inspection of the recovered bullets showed uniform expansion and significant straight-line penetration: one bullet was recovered in the center of the animal’s chest while the other two were retrieved from under the hide on the opposite shoulder. Handgun Hunter is available in seven different calibers from 9mm Luger to .460 S&W Magnum.

3. Swift A-Frame

Swift A-frame's proved a level of consistency few cartridges can match.Federal Premium Ammunition

Swift’s A-Frame is another crossover bullet that has been extremely popular as a centerfire projectile. As the name implies, the bullet looks like an A in cross section with front and rear lead cores separated by a layer of copper. A-Frame bullets are extremely popular with dangerous game hunters (I shot my cape buffalo in Mozambique with an A-Frame bullet at my PH’s request) because they provide a level of consistent performance few other bullets can match. Federal Premium offers a line of handgun ammunition loaded with Swift A-Frame bullets, and if you’re looking for a single bullet that is effective on a wide range of game at varying ranges then A-Frame ammunition is a good option. Currently, Federal offers eight different A-Frame handgun hunting loads in calibers ranging from .327 Federal Magnum to .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum. A-Frame ammunition isn’t particularly cheap, but these premium bullets perform extremely well.

4. Winchester Partition Gold

Partition Gold is no longer in the Winchester lineup, but you can still find the ammo through select vendors.Winchester

Partition Gold bullets feature a copper jacket that is bonded to the two-piece lead core. The front and rear sections of the lead core are divided by a layer of copper that helps to prevent over expansion while maintaining significant weight for deep, straight-line penetration and have made Nosler Partition bullets a favorite choice of big game hunters for years. The hollow point design initiates expansion at lower velocities while creating a wide wound channel and transferring tremendous energy. Sadly, Partition Gold ammunition is no longer in the Winchester ammunition lineup but it’s still available for sale through distributors and if you can get your hands on a box the stuff is wonderful. The .460 S&W load, shown here, produces over a ton of muzzle energy, and the bullet’s durable construction makes it tough enough for big, tough game like elk and moose. Winchester’s Dual Bond bullet, successor to Partition Gold’s position as one of the brand’s premium hunting projectile, are also highly effective based on reports from those who have hunted with them, but I’ll always have an affinity for the tough, accurate, Partition Gold.

5. Barnes XPB HP

The author tested Barnes’s .454 Casull load (250-grain XPB bullet at 1,700 feet from the muzzle) and found it to be exceptionally accurate.Barnes

Barnes is now owned by Sierra Bullets, and while the acquisition is certain to bring about changes to the Barnes brand let’s hope that the all-copper Barnes XPB HP bullet remain in production. These bullets are used in Barnes’s VOR-TX Hunting Handgun line of ammunition and they perform well through a variety of handguns. The skived hollow point initiates consistent 2x expansion for tremendous shock and energy transfer and those who live in areas of the country with lead bans can legally use this ammunition. I tested Barnes’s .454 Casull load (250-grain XPB bullet at 1,700 feet from the muzzle) and found it to be exceptionally accurate. As you might imagine, this is not a load that lacks energy: at the muzzle the VOR-TX .454 load generates 1,605 foot-pounds, and at 50 yards the .454 load is still carrying over 1,200 foot-pounds of energy, more than twice what the .44 Magnum load generates at the muzzle. Those kind of energy levels can wreck a weak bullet, but the Barnes XPB is tough enough to withstand that type of power. For that reason, these bullets are great for hunting a full range of game from deer and hogs to bear and moose.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 5 of the Best Bullets for Handgun Hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:15:54 PM »
they forgot kieths and lfns!!
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 03:48:16 AM »
Yup I've used a lot of those two. I have a bunch of the Nosler Partition handgun bullets and Barnes XPB in my bullet stash but haven't loaded them up yet. I think I might have loaded up some of them for the .357 magnum one winter but haven't shot them.

Mostly I used cast or Hornady and Nosler JHPs. I was using Hornady JHPs long before they thought of the XTP.

I've likely shot a literal ton of the Lyman 429244 Thompson designed GC bullet also.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dog Phish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 01:17:58 AM »
I take Hornady XTP bullet in all my handgun hunting loads or  LWFN bullets in 1-20 hardness any day over these over hyped jackbooted marketed ammo. Shot placement being most important key ingredient.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 01:52:54 AM »
make mine an lfn. Ive killed animals as big as 1000 lb bison with just a 44 and an lfn. Killed animals as small as rabbits with the same gun. Same outcome. Dead animal and not any excessive meat damage. Matter of fact out of all the pigs bear bison and deer i killed handgun hunting for 20 years only one was with a jacketed bullet. that was a 200 lb black bear i killed with a 240 xtp out of again a 44 mag. Jacketed bullets are no doubt superior for self defense but for big game nothing beats a swc or lfn.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 05:34:55 AM »
What is a ifn bullet? I’ve shot thousands of Keith semi wadcutter and LFN and LWFN.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 05:56:25 AM »
What is a ifn bullet? I’ve shot thousands of Keith semi wadcutter and LFN and LWFN.

I'd guess by the lack of capitalizing of the post he was saying LFN.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 07:02:25 AM »
yup LFN. I guess you could call them ifns too. Instantly Fing neutralized. Ive killed animals as big as bison with them. But then ive done it with kieths too. Big advantage ive seen with Lfns is it usually takes alot less load development then a keith and some guns ive owned just didnt do well with kieths and what ive found is if an LFNGC doest shoot in a gun the gun usually doesnt shoot. I dont care for veral much but he hit a home run with that design. Im old school and wish kieths would outshoot everything in all my guns but LFNS just tend to do better.
blue lives matter

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:51:58 AM »
My experience with the XPB's wasn't
that great. I couldn't make the ones
I tried shoot straight. I'm sure there's
a trick to it that I didn't know, but they
were too expensive to experiment with
when I can make regular run-of-the-mill
JFP and LFN bullets do a great job
for me without the expense
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 10:28:13 PM »
I dont shoot alot of jacketed but have to say ive had some of my best jacketed luck with xtps and didnt find them to cost any more then any other hp or soft nose bullet. Maybe im out of the loop and theyve shot up in price. I havent bought any in about 5 years. When i buy pistol bullets i buy them a 1000 at a time and that last me a LONG TIME. Id have to say though that my all time favorite jacketed bullet is the speer half jackets. Especially in 41 and 44. They were very accurate and real good on deer sized game and were cheaper then most of the others.
blue lives matter

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 01:32:40 PM »
I dont shoot alot of jacketed but have to say ive had some of my best jacketed luck with xtps and didnt find them to cost any more then any other hp or soft nose bullet. Maybe im out of the loop and theyve shot up in price. I havent bought any in about 5 years. . .

No, not really.  XTP bullets are around the same
price they were about a year ago, box of 100

The XPB's are about the same as they were
also, close to the XTP's, but they're only a
box of 20 ( or 25?) and that's too cost
prohibitive for me. Also, a box of loaded
XPB's are nearly the same as a box of
just the bullets ( 20 or 25)
Let's go Brandon  !