Author Topic: Ruger bought out Marlin....will you be waitng with cash in hand?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger bought out Marlin....will you be waitng with cash in hand?
« on: February 10, 2021, 11:13:31 AM »
  Since the bankruptcy of Remington, Ruger has bought all Marlin and Marlin related rights.  Are you eagerly anticipating Marlins emerging from the Ruger factories?

It is clear to all of us now, even if anyone had a doubt previously, that gun companies should be run by dedicated shooters, and not by a bunch of bean counters!
    In this Keith Warren video, we see Ron Coburn, CEO of Savage, knocking off prairie dogs..way to go !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfLsDGTSq_M
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Ruger bought out Marlin....will you be waitng with cash in hand?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 12:25:29 PM »
If they start building the Marlin
levers, hopefully they'll have enough
sense to sell them at a reasonable
price
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 01:47:01 PM »
Like Ranger, they should make all the levers including the model 39, and of course the model 60 which is a very accurate auto right out of the box.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:52:43 PM »
Dont know about the rest of you but my experiences with both marlins and rugers are pretty extensive. Ive had LOTs of both. Ask me ruger taking over is about like chev taking over production of buick. My marlins have been better fit and finished guns then a good many rugers and ive had some real turds that made it out of rugers quality control people.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 03:10:32 PM »
I've owned several 10/22s and Marlin 60s.  My estimation is that since the 1970s Marlin 60s out of the box, would out shoot 10/22s out of the box, except for two exceptions..  1) Those not made in New Haven.  I haven't owned any of the Remlins, but I heard their accuracy was sometimes up to their usual high standard..and sometimes not !

2) The first couple years production of the 10/22...  I had a 1st year production 10/22 which would outshoot some normally very accurate shooters, including the model 60.  I have since learned that the first couple years of their production, Ruger got their barrels from a supplier..(perhaps Green Mountain?)

In any case, that Ruger serial# 66XX, is still in the family..with my grandson.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »
All of the older Marlins and H&R's/ NEF's
were quality built good using guns
before the corporate geeks that bought
Remington got their greasy claws on them
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 04:42:27 PM »
I have a Sears model 43 which is the Marlin model 81 and it shoots great.
I have a tag hanging from the trigger guard that says “Caution the safety on this rifle operates in reverse.”
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglows

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 12:06:01 AM »
Yes, I have owned several Marlin Marlins over the years, including such as 60s, a 700, a 795, a 39 and a 336, not to mention the several H&R guns I have had...all were good accurate guns, that hauled in their appropriate game.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 12:11:15 PM »
I own some Marlins and some Rugers and have to think they are going to be way better than any Remington made Marlin. I don't know how the last ones were but my step son had an early one and it was bad. He wanted me to fix it but I had him send it back in. When he got a note saying "sorry this shouldn't have left the factory" you know it's bad. But they fixed it and the turn around was quick so I give them that. Will I buy one from Ruger? Sure, if it's something new I can't live without. But for a good old rifle I'll look for the JM in an oval on the barrel and buy an original.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »
I've owned several 10/22s and Marlin 60s.  My estimation is that since the 197-s Marlin 60s out of the box, would out shoot 10/22s out of the box, except for two exceptions..  1) Those not made in New Haven.  I haven't owned any of the Remlins, but I heard their accuracy was sometimes up to their usual high standard..and sometimes not !

2) The first couple years production of the 10/22...  I had a 1st year production 10/22 which would outshoot some normally very accurate shooters, including the model 60.  I have since learned that the first couple years of their production, Ruger got their barrels from a supplier..(perhaps Green Mountain?)

In any case, that Ruger serial# 66XX, is still in the family..with my grandson.
When I bought Nancy a rifle, I preferred the model 60 but she wanted a "black rifle" and besides, that one lonely 10/22 was the only .22lr that Academy had on the rack.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 01:23:31 AM »
dont know. Just a couple of my ruger rejects were a vaquaro that had to be replaced because the grove in the top strap that is suppose to go down the middle went across from one corner to the far side corner.  How that one escaped quality control is beyond me. couple years ago bought a 257 roberts 1a that the firing pin was drilled off center and it wouldnt fire. A 32 mag single six that had a transfer bar to short and wouldnt fire a ruger american 300 bo that wouldnt feed worth a crap that they replaced with an ar mag model. Sent back an lcp that wouldnt run a single mag without choking on factory ball. Then lets add that 75 percent of the 77s ive owned through the years were 2moa guns at best. If you havent had a bad ruger you just dont have many guns or let the ones you have sit in a safe. If your the type that puts a pie plate out at 75 yards the day before season and if you hit it thats good enough.

One good thing about ruger is there customer service is top notch. Probably better then any other gun manufacturer. probably beause there used to lots of returns and for the most part in my experience dont even look at your gun. they toss it in the trash and send you a new one. Now i can honestly say ive had marlins from every generation. Sure a new one isnt as well fit as my old 3030 adl from the early 60s. But ive yet to have to send one in for any repair. Had to replace a firing pin on a 44 mag but that was still way back in the early 80s and was a simple 1/2 hour fix. I had to chuckle the other day. I went to a gun shop and they had a shield there called bug out kit that i bought  it was a shield 9mm and 5 mags in a back pack with a cheesy first aid kit  and resperator mask. they wanted 479 for it. Right next to it was an lc9 with ONE mag they wanted 489 for. I asked the dealer why and he told me because rugers are higher end gun then a smith!! I had to hold back from laughing out loud. Bought that smith with 4 more mags that would have cost you another 120 bucks to buy if you wanted that luxurious lc9. Dont get me wrong. My wifes lc9 has been a great gun but its sure not worth 20 percent more then a shield and if you want my true opinion id take the shield if the price was the same. One thing GOOD about rugers is about 3/4s of the gun buyers drank the same kool aid as that gunshop owner so when you want to trade they are more then happy to take a 77 thats a turd off your hands for good money. 
I own some Marlins and some Rugers and have to think they are going to be way better than any Remington made Marlin. I don't know how the last ones were but my step son had an early one and it was bad. He wanted me to fix it but I had him send it back in. When he got a note saying "sorry this shouldn't have left the factory" you know it's bad. But they fixed it and the turn around was quick so I give them that. Will I buy one from Ruger? Sure, if it's something new I can't live without. But for a good old rifle I'll look for the JM in an oval on the barrel and buy an original.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 01:41:28 AM »
ill add one more thing. Ive had probably more 700s then all other rifle ive owned combined. i can honestly say ive only had one that wouldnt shoot well under an 1 1/2 and have never had a single one back for repairs (and ill add the 870s and 1100s in on that too) . I can honestly say the same about winchesters too. Dont get me wrong. I dont hate rugers. I still have as many rugers as i do any other brand. Just not bolt actions. Whats cool about ruger is there not afraid to step out of the comfort zone and come up with unique guns and cool chamberings. what ruger has needed to do for at least 20 years is toss out the 77 and bring out a higher end gun that shoots like an american and ditch there whole line of black pistols except for the lcp and lc9 because most of them are turds. have been since that first p85 hit the dealers showcases. Then i look at rugers very little experience with lever guns and wonder why you think they will improve marlins. If anything there going to switch them over to investment casting to save some money and your going to end up with a worse fit and finished gun. My guess is there going to rely on the bean counters that are going to say keep running it just like marlin did because changing things isnt going to sell more guns and just cut into our profits. probably be a far distant second priority to them then the ruger name.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 08:46:53 AM »
  Hey Bug!  That's the Ruger "precision rifle", isn't it.  I have heard that they are really decent !  ..But then of course, I am not a fan of the black rifles.. likely it's because my military experience was with wood stocked gun
   One Marlin .22 I had, which would hold tight groups with the very best of them, was my 880SQ, that one would really shoot !
  Below, see 880SQ with woodchuck...

Offline ironglows

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 08:50:09 AM »
  And speaking of H&R rifles..  Here's a .17HMR..with woodchuck !  That is a large 'chuck, but not my largest.  Perhaps my largest 'chuck ever, was one I got with a Marlin 60.  I didn't happen to weigh it...but he must have weighed at least 20 pounds..
    The one I got with the 60 was sitting in the opening of his hole in a mowed area, facing me.  It was about 75 yards from me, so I aimed at his nose, looking to hit his chest...and that is just what happened,,he didn't move, just slumped where he was.
  The one shown was in a pasture eating... a whistle brought him up on his haunches..his mistake, the only one I allowed.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 11:10:45 AM »
I no longer am able to get out and hunt so my needs or interest is limited. Still if they were to make the bolt action .22 magnum with the tube magazine I would buy one if I could find it. I'd buy one of those already made by Marlin if I could find it also.

I could be convinced to buy some 1894s in .357, .44 and .45 Colt I imagine if they had octagon barrels. I'd want a 20" preferably on the .357 and 24" barrels on the .44 and .45 tho I might would take 20" on them also.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 11:28:24 PM »
make mine a case hardened 16 inch oct 44 mag.
I no longer am able to get out and hunt so my needs or interest is limited. Still if they were to make the bolt action .22 magnum with the tube magazine I would buy one if I could find it. I'd buy one of those already made by Marlin if I could find it also.

I could be convinced to buy some 1894s in .357, .44 and .45 Colt I imagine if they had octagon barrels. I'd want a 20" preferably on the .357 and 24" barrels on the .44 and .45 tho I might would take 20" on them also.
blue lives matter

Offline Eddie Southgate

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 08:09:33 AM »
From what I have seen so far I am not interested . Don't do laminated stocks , big odd shaped oval loops or stainless steel when it comes to my lever guns . It appears that is what they chose to start with so as far as i am concerned they have nowhere to go but up .

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 08:30:44 AM »
From Lloyd;

dont know. Just a couple of my ruger rejects were a vaquaro that had to be replaced because the grove in the top strap that is suppose to go down the middle went across from one corner to the far side corner.  How that one escaped quality control is beyond me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I too wonder how such things can slip through inspectors.  I can recall a few years ago, when my friend Bob, took myself and another blacksmith for a tour through Ontario knife (Bob is boss there).
  When we got to the inspection department, there were several ladies busily inspecting the knives.

Bob said, "check a few knives in that bin, and see how many flaws you can find".  So I started going through some KaBar (naughty word) style knives, and the other smith started going through a bin of Old Hickory knives..

We stopped when he found a chip out of an Old hickory handle..  The blacksmith remarked that the inspector must have missed that one.

Bob got a grin on his face and said..."you guys were looking through the reject bins."

Believe it or not...those ladies with their practiced eye, saw things that we sure didn't see !

I can't imagine how gun companies sometimes can be so negligent..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 10:41:03 AM »
  The Ruger/Marlins in 45/70, are on the dealers' shelves now...

I once sold a NEW Ruger .357 Blackhawk and ammo to a guy and the next day he brought it back, saying I gave him the wrong ammo.  I looked it over better and realized the cylinder had none of the chambers bored all the way down, none!  I mean, it wasn't chambered at all, it just had holes in it...

They didn't test fire that one!

DM

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »
I don't need anymore guns.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Old Old x 1 View List

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 01:03:14 PM »
 I don't NEED any more either...  ..But you know how that goes... you happen to walk into the LGS..and there sits that little lever action, looking for a home.. ;) ;D

Dang! About 2 years ago, I gave most of my guns away to my 3 grandsons..only keeping what I may 'need'..
  Doggone 'desire creep"..now both lockers have only a couple spots left...

..And several of the new guns only have a few rounds through them !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline orerancher

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 01:50:00 PM »

This is the Saddest Thing I have Ever Read on Here......
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Dee

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 02:06:06 PM »

This is the Saddest Thing I have Ever Read on Here......

LOL, ;D Remember that old saying:  "Beware of the man with one rifle. He hits what he shoots at."
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 10:39:17 PM »
i used to chuckle at marble knives when they were made here in MI. I had a buddy who worked there and the rejects were suppose to be thown in box and destroyed. THe workers all used to sneek and take them home. Even put good knives in the reject box. He used to get them for me for 30 bucks a crack. Most of even the true rejects i couldnt find a single flaw in. I had 27 of them at one time and when they sold out and moved to texas and started having knives made in china i sold the whole bunch to a guy at a gun show. Only one i kept was the one my wife bought me when we were dating. quote author=ironglow link=topic=288714.msg1099800709#msg1099800709 date=1646940644]
From Lloyd;

dont know. Just a couple of my ruger rejects were a vaquaro that had to be replaced because the grove in the top strap that is suppose to go down the middle went across from one corner to the far side corner.  How that one escaped quality control is beyond me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I too wonder how such things can slip through inspectors.  I can recall a few years ago, when my friend Bob, took myself and another blacksmith for a tour through Ontario knife (Bob is boss there).
  When we got to the inspection department, there were several ladies busily inspecting the knives.

Bob said, "check a few knives in that bin, and see how many flaws you can find".  So I started going through some KaBar (naughty word) style knives, and the other smith started going through a bin of Old Hickory knives..

We stopped when he found a chip out of an Old hickory handle..  The blacksmith remarked that the inspector must have missed that one.

Bob got a grin on his face and said..."you guys were looking through the reject bins."

Believe it or not...those ladies with their practiced eye, saw things that we sure didn't see !

I can't imagine how gun companies sometimes can be so negligent..
[/quote]
blue lives matter

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2022, 12:58:14 AM »
I don't know what Ontario does with their seconds now.. At one time they could be bought at the company store, but then Ontario decided to build their new plant, not to included a company store.

A local fellow (Al..another friend) who is also a clock repairman, rented a vacant storefront in the same town as Ontario, including the seconds in his new venture.  ..But as soon as Al got well started the store owner doubled Al's rent...the storefront is still empty.

As seconds...and they were only appearance seconds..materials were still first class..they were a real bargain.  We could buy at 1/2 price, and most of the time we couldn't even see the flaw.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2022, 12:18:37 PM »
Bear and Sons Cutlery is about 7 miles from my home here. Each November they have a 4 day community knife sale. All their rejects are there for us locals to buy. I have loads of them and most you have to really look hard to find what put them in the reject bin. Some I can't find the flaw on.

On average we prolly pay 20% of retail for the rejects.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!