Author Topic: Traded for a new rifle  (Read 1908 times)

Offline northwoodneil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Traded for a new rifle
« on: January 20, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »
I filled a hole in my collection yesterday. Traded an unused 380 pistol (I'm a revolver guy) for a Stevens #44 in 22lr. She needs a little love but will be a shooter. The bore is rough but has the original Lyman peep sight on it. The lever has the droops (but so do I and I'm not 110 years old) and there is only one screw on the whole rifle that's not screwed. The wood fine but whoever H.K. is I wish he wouldn't have autographed it. Winter is long and cold up here I needed a project.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
Re: Traded for a new rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »
We'll see if this works.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Offline ironglows

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
A lot of work ahead, but it can be fun.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 04:05:58 PM »
I’m jealous.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 04:13:26 PM »
I bought one similar to that some
years back, and let a former friend
talk me into letting him buy it.
Of course, I never found another one
in the same shape and price range
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 01:05:38 AM »
First up I'm going to Kroil the barrel for a couple days and see what I've got. I have a barrel liner on the shelf waiting if it needs it. I'm waiting on a reamer to tighten the toggle link. Once I get her to lock up tight I'll see if the barrel is salvageable.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 01:26:30 PM »
I'm cleaning the action while the barrel soaks. I tried to post a few pics but the file is to large and won't upload. And I'm not savvy enough to shrink it.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 08:57:02 AM »
The barrel soaked for 2 days and still is rough. I slugged the bore and there's a spot where the bullet moves with no resistance. I figured I better shoot just to make sure. I have other old rifles with sewer pipe bores that shoot darn good. Not this one, 10" plate at 25 yards 10/10 in a 8" group. At 50 5/10. Yup, needs a liner.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »
I'll try again

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »
And from before since I think I got this ???

Offline ironglows

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 04:31:39 AM »
  "Traded for a new rifle"....

Then there was the fellow who said;

"I got a new rifle for my wife...best trade I ever made"... ;)  :D

"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »
I wish I could've got a gun for my ex-wife  ;D any old thing right down to a rubber band shooter.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Pics of the new shooter

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »
More

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 11:29:45 AM »
I'm trying this from my phone cause my computer died. I wish they'd make a noise before they crashed so you knew something is wrong.  Anyway an old rifle returned to the firing line it still has pits in the barrel for the next generation to get out but locks up tight and shoots well.  Before I hear about loosing value be refinishing, this old rifle was past a collectors wants. Maybe a 70 percent gun when I started. It was borderline safe to shoot and was throwing bullets sideways. Now it shoots well and is safe for the grandkids.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 11:36:52 AM »
Wow, I can't type on these phones but you get the jist.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
Nicely played Neil.  Looks great.  How are you going to finish the stock?

With excellent results, I have used a dozen passes of watery smooth 10% polyurethane varnish in 90% mineral spirits (as a consumable solvent), 48 to 72 hour air drying and 400 grit sandpaper sanding in between coats, for a hard and long lasting finish on surfaces that will see a lot of wear.  You can look into the finished product and see the future...(if you screw up your face, exhibit a gargoyle-ish grin, and squint just right with the other eye closed).

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 08:02:55 AM »
The wood is done in Watco Danish oil (natural). It drys to a matte finish. About 5 coats with sanding between the last 3. 400 wet and dry with some Danish oil on it. This fills the pores and is durable enough for the way I'll use this rifle. If it gets some light scratches just rub on another coat of Danish oil.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »
The weather broke today, made up to 21 degrees, so I had the chance to shoot the old girl. Offhand out to 50 yards it was ringing steel. When this white crap melts I'll put it on the bench and shoot some paper. Stevens rifles don't receive the credit they're due IMHO. It has a great trigger and feel and is a joy to shoot. The number one granddaughter has taking a real liking to it too. I told her someday it will need a good home but until then she has to shoot with me.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 01:30:14 PM »
That's great it worked out.
That's from the time when firearms
were built to use, and many got
used hard and used up.
Very few of any kind left from my
ancestor's day. I have a couple of
junk guns that are worn beyond
any kind of use or repair
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 05:19:01 PM »
Now I’m even more jealous.
That’s a fine piece of wood on that thing and the whole rifle is a thing of beauty.
The only rifles I’ve found like that were rust buckets not worth fooling with.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglows

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 12:38:29 AM »
Looks great, Neil !  You are correct, those old Stevens rifles don't get enough credit, IMO..  Each one I have dealt with, has been a real shooter.
  A couple years ago, i saw an old Stevens 66B "Buckhorn"  .22 at a LGS.  I bought it for $100, my top price for an old .22 rifle.  It was probably about 70%, being generous.
   Ejectors were not working..found the tiny springs all clogged with black crud..perhaps burned powder?  It was missing rear peep/combination sight.  I was told that if I fond one, it would cost as much as the rifle.  Brousing through a gun show a couple months later, I spied what I thought may work, in a spare parts box.  The lady said it would set me back $20...guess she felt sorry for a guy with such an ugly face..come to pay, she dropped to $15 !   ;D

Got the steel cleaned up, refinished the stock...and found I had snagged a top shooter!  With irons, I could set up a clay pigeon at 50 yards..bust the pigeon..and then bust the pieces of the pigeon! 
   On your rifle...you are obviously correct on the worn bore, but it wouldn't hurt to try another, possibly helpful trick..check the barrel crown!  I have an old Mossy .22, that doesn't shoot very well.  Bore good, next move is to recrown the barrel.  I can visualize some previous owner, running a cleaning rod through from the muzzle...and bouncing the cleaning rod, much like the movies show old timers bouncing their loading rods on the old muzzle loaders.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 01:03:58 AM »
IG your absolutely right I should have recrowned it to make sure it wasn't the problem. And I'm sure it was at least part of it. Then rifle had the common for the period 90 degree muzzle and it looked bad by eye. The loose spot in the rifling was my deciding factor in lining the bore. I have a Stevens favorite thats barrel is terrible- pitted, brown, missing visible rifling in spots and it still shoots pretty tight groups with the right ammo. You just never know.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 01:42:13 AM »
  I once had a Savage 219L single shot, 22 Hornet..shot great.  Left it with my brother a couple years, when I got it back, it didn't hit worth a shoot!  Took it to a gunsmith..at least that is what he claimed to be..  Verdict?  Don't know...but nothing can be done.

Talking to a local building supply owner (shooter)...  He ays "bet your problem is in the crown, let me re-crown it for you"!

A week's wait, and $25, and the old Hornet was picking off woodchucks again..

Now I get my grandson to do any gunsmithing I may need.  BTW:  If you decided to reline the barrel, I suppose there are several who produce good liners, but I just want to let you know..  My grandson custom builds sniper rifles as well as long range competition rifles..and he as well as other precision rifle builders use Krieger rifled barrel blanks.  If they make liners, they should be good !
  https://kriegerbarrels.com/

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »
That is a great looking Stevens, Kudos for taking the time and making the effort to bring it back to life. I looked for one years ago, couldn't find one in my price range, settled on a Stevens Favorite by Savage. I mounted an old tang sight on it and shot unwanted critters when I lived on the farm. It has always been accurate enough for the job at hand.
Bill
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 04:15:31 AM »
I have refinished a number of old .22s and I think even though they may loose some "collectors value" a good ol gun that is returned to accurate working condition is worth the cost and effort. That is a unique and fine looking piece. Nice work.

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 07:39:26 AM »
I saw this old thread pop up and figured I better make good on my promise to put a few rounds on paper. The range was 25 yards because of old eyes and iron sights. I called the flyer on the Federal ammo but this old girl isn't to fussy. All these were under a 1/2 inch. About as good as I can do anymore. The only ammo it didn't like was CCI Quiet, that ran about an inch scattered.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2021, 11:07:05 AM »
I'd sure need a scope on a rifle to match those groups. Me and irons don't work out that well these days.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!