Author Topic: Eight O'clock Coffee k-cups  (Read 1364 times)

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Eight O'clock Coffee k-cups
« on: January 13, 2021, 04:57:59 AM »
While following my wife around in the grocery store waiting on her to tell me to get something up high or down low and put it in the basket I noticed the k-cup display and I spent a little bit of time reading and comparing prices. Most of the k-cup coffee I've tried isn't to my liking at all but I saw the eight o'clock stuff and remembered reading somewhere that it's pretty good and the price was definately good compared to most of the other selections so I decided to get a box. I figured it wouldn't be the first time I got burned trying something someone else thought was good and if I didn't care for it I could always pass it on to my son. He drinks some brands of coffee and likes them I consider good only as drain cleaners. I think his years in the army fried his taste buds. I got a pleasant surprise. This stuff tastes pretty good and the price is certainly good in comparison to most.

Offline cosh

Re: Eight O'clock Coffee k-cups
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:36:06 AM »
Thanks for the report on the eight-o'clock coffee. In a similar theme - the Organic Dark Roast from Sam's Club has a good taste to me. Our local store is sold out but when it's stock I get a bulk box. Lower prices than SBux.  ;)

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:43:13 AM »
You gents with your Keurig machines have you had any troubles.
My sig's. niece had one and used it for several years then it went belly up.
Now they have another brewing machine that is beyond the norm; glad I did not get them K cups for Christmas nor spent bucks for one.
We have a bargain store up here where I can get foo-foo coffee from five to six bucks a bag but even there the K cups just do not add up money wise.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 07:30:06 AM »
I have had three Kurigs. I gave the first one to our sonafter a couple of years when my wife decided she wanted a red one to match her dinnerware. My second lasted about a year and the one I gave away died shortly bfore that. My third one started leaking shortly after it was purchased. I returned it and replaced it with a $20 single cup gadget. It's over a year old now and still going strong. I won't recommend a Kuerig to anyone any more.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »
I buy the eight o’clock espresso and have to run the hot water over it again stirred through with a spoon and it’s good to me. BIL said it tastes like crap. Good. More for me.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
I buy the eight o’clock espresso and have to run the hot water over it again stirred through with a spoon and it’s good to me. BIL said it tastes like crap. Good. More for me.
LOL, I call that Minnesota brown, tastes like stale water, but too many up here make that slop.  :o

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:45 PM »
I have had three Kurigs. I gave the first one to our sonafter a couple of years when my wife decided she wanted a red one to match her dinnerware. My second lasted about a year and the one I gave away died shortly bfore that. My third one started leaking shortly after it was purchased. I returned it and replaced it with a $20 single cup gadget. It's over a year old now and still going strong. I won't recommend a Kuerig to anyone any more.
I drink 8 o’clock most of the time because I like medium roast. It’s a good balance between flavor and caffeine content.
Other than that I drink Gevalia when I can find medium roast, which isn’t often..
I too am on my third brewer.  The first two were large units with reservoirs and other gadgets but each one went kaput in two months..
Then, I bought a single serve and it’s been going strong for more than ten years.
I pat it fondly every morning while my one and only daily cup is brewing.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglows

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 09:12:24 AM »
My son bought me a Keurig a couple years ago.  It worked well until recently, when it started blowing the cups out.  It seems to affect the tinfoil lids the most.  Pressure builds up, until the lid splits around the perforator..then it put coffee grounds throughout the catch mug.
  I can normally avoid the pressure buildup, if when I place the Keurig cup in the machine , I turn it and perforate the bottom of the cup 3-4 times.

I'm gradually switching back to my old 4 cup, Mr Coffee machine..
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 09:50:00 AM »
LOL, I call that Minnesota brown, tastes like stale water, but too many up here make that slop.  :o
Sure can’t say it’s brown the way I make it it’s blacker than soros’s soul...

Offline ironglows

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 10:24:30 AM »
Sure can’t say it’s brown the way I make it it’s blacker than soros’s soul...
  Man!  That has to be blacker than the inside of a stack of black cats !   ;)  ;D
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »
My son bought me a Keurig a couple years ago.  It worked well until recently, when it started blowing the cups out.  It seems to affect the tinfoil lids the most.  Pressure builds up, until the lid splits around the perforator..then it put coffee grounds throughout the catch mug.
  I can normally avoid the pressure buildup, if when I place the Keurig cup in the machine , I turn it and perforate the bottom of the cup 3-4 times.

Run a thin wire up through the spout a few times and ream it out.  It's just stopped up. :)
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglows

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 03:15:52 AM »

Run a thin wire up through the spout a few times and ream it out.  It's just stopped up. :)

That spout you are speaking about.. is that the part which comes down to puncture the top (lid) of the cup ?

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 05:06:25 AM »

That spout you are speaking about.. is that the part which comes down to puncture the top (lid) of the cup ?
No, there is a thingy that punctures the bottom of the k-cup and leads into the spout below.
Mine stopped up a few years ago because the fine mesh bag that holds the coffee grounds had a hole in it which allowed the grounds to fill up that tiny spout.
there's hope for it yet.
that said, the only reason I use my k-cup brewer is that I'm only allowed one cup each morning.
If I drank it like I did when I worked, I'd break out my coffee maker I use when we have company.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 05:25:07 AM »
My not-a-kuerig is an afternoon coffee maker mostly. My wife and I enjoy a cup in cool weather and our son comes around fairly regularly for one. It does get used occasionally in the morning when the two oldest gg daughters are present and they make hot chocolate using it. Morning coffee get made in the recently purchased Ninja machine which I have come to really like.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 03:03:31 PM »
Thanks Bug..I'll try that !

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 04:56:42 PM »
Thanks Bug..I'll try that !
Oh, and about every six months I run ten ounces of vinegar thru it three times and then water through a couple of times.
The make of mine is Freecup and may be the worlds oldest single cup brewer.
I’ve used it more than ten years now.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 01:42:49 AM »
The secret to a long happy life for a Kuerig coffee maker, is to clean it when it tells you too.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 05:10:50 AM »
The secret to a long happy life for a Kuerig coffee maker, is to clean it when it tells you too.
That is the secret to any coffee maker clean it regularly.

Although the digital expensive electronic whiz-bangs electrical circuits are an iffy thing.
Used to be a small appliance dude in my home town where you could take the old analog ones in and he would re-sodder the connections, good as new.

I have two el-cheapo coffee makes that are now over ten years old; they replaced several foo-foo ones that lasted less than 3 years each.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 02:10:40 AM »

Thanks Ron, I followed your advice, and my Keurig is perking right along now !