Author Topic: ..And perhaps you thought off-roading began with the ATV !  (Read 1801 times)

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
..And perhaps you thought off-roading began with the ATV !
« on: January 13, 2021, 04:01:08 AM »
  Not quite so..  It apparently started earlier... ;)  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYVp-ltOIM

Anybody from the area on GBO?  How about updating us as to the present status of Chevrolet, KY ..
  I did find this much... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet,_Kentucky
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: ..And perhaps you thought off-roading began with the ATV !
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 02:11:24 AM »
remember when i was a kid. We had an old army jeep at camp my dad bought at an auction at the air force base. We drive it all over and had a ball with it. I still remember dad saying it wouldnt do anything the model t they had when he was a kid. skinny tall tires were the reason. Even back in my lifted 4x4 days we found out quick that the giant wide tires were a joke. A tall narrow tire was the real answer in the bad stuff. Another cool memory is the first thing i remember that could be called snowmobile. We got the first real one in town. A 62 skidoo. before even that a guy who owned a resort on one of the local lakes had a model A with tracks on the back and skis on the front.
blue lives matter

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: ..And perhaps you thought off-roading began with the ATV !
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »
remember when i was a kid. We had an old army jeep at camp my dad bought at an auction at the air force base. We drive it all over and had a ball with it. I still remember dad saying it wouldnt do anything the model t they had when he was a kid. skinny tall tires were the reason. Even back in my lifted 4x4 days we found out quick that the giant wide tires were a joke. A tall narrow tire was the real answer in the bad stuff. Another cool memory is the first thing i remember that could be called snowmobile. We got the first real one in town. A 62 skidoo. before even that a guy who owned a resort on one of the local lakes had a model A with tracks on the back and skis on the front.

I live near where what was considered the first snowmobile was invented. It was a 1913 model T with tracks and skis.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783