Author Topic: Servers  (Read 1184 times)

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Servers
« on: January 09, 2021, 10:17:13 AM »
Hey Bill or Matt, do you fellas own the server so that you can’t be shut down ??
I don’t know how all this stuff works.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Servers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
No, we did own the servers used at the time we sold the other site but I think Matt is just renting use of server currently. He is paying cost to run this site out of his own pocket.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 02:52:06 PM »
No idea what the cost is to keep things going but if y'all could use some help money wise to keep it going let me know. Not rich by any means but I sure don't mind pitching in to try and help keep things going.
wtxbadger

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »
Well, I can't foot the whole bill by myself, but if Matt could calculate a monthly or yearly cost among active/willing members maybe we could take a burden off of him.
I'm active/willing.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »
No idea what the cost is to keep things going but if y'all could use some help money wise to keep it going let me know. Not rich by any means but I sure don't mind pitching in to try and help keep things going.
I hope a lot of others step up, but if a person just can't contribute, Nobody would need to know that.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:47:10 PM »
Other sites use an annual "donation" system to anonymously raise server maintenance money.  Or, Matt could simply open a P.O. Box and publish that...thinking out loud here.

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 11:00:29 PM »
Hey Bill or Matt, do you fellas own the server so that you can’t be shut down ??
I don’t know how all this stuff works.

This site is currently being hosted on a VPS (Virtual Private Server) with 1and1. The cost of that server is around $35.00 a month and was only intended to be used until I moved back to Alabama from South Ga which I did almost a year ago now. I have business internet set up at home with static IP's to host the servers which I am paying around 149.00 a month for because I signed a 5 yr contract on it. Between my Printing Business and my Commercial Maintenance business I just don't ever seem to have any time to work much on this site and move it over.

So the cost of this site is currently around 2000.00 a year and that would come down by around 450 if I move back over to my own servers, which are setting in the racks gathering dust.

As far as folks pitching in, well if you just feel moved to do so then by all means be my guest, there are many ways to do it. Though please note that all donations are voluntary, and they are  very much appreciated. 

1) Send a check or money order to Graybeard
2) make a one time donation using debit or credit card in your profile here: https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions
3) set up a recurring subscription from your profile at the same link as above.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein