Author Topic: Shot the air rifles today  (Read 1757 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
Shot the air rifles today
« on: December 19, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »
Since ammo has dried up once again,my buddy and I took the break barrels out today for target practice. We mostly shot the 22 cals for penetration tests at different distances. I did take the 177 Gamo out as well,but the only pellets I could find for it were wad cutter pellets and they are junk, with gold prices. I paid 10.00 for 250 count. I can buy good 22 call Premier round nose for the same price with 500 count from Pyramid Air .

The 22's were blowing through 3/4 inch boards out to 50 yds. and 4 pop cans full of water. Accuracy was good at 25 yds, but the wind was blowing too hard to be consistent at 50. Overall a good morning of shooting before the rains hit.Strange being able to shoot without hearing protection, and hearing the rounds hit the target.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Shot the air rifles today
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 02:39:52 AM »
  "Strange being able to shoot without hearing protection, and hearing the rounds hit the target."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This can be done with CCI Quiet rounds or CB caps.

My grandson has a Beeman switch barrel .22/.177 air rifle.  He found the .22 more effective for head shots on coons and possums.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 03:47:17 AM »
Yea, but good luck finding them. I do have some rat holed back.
The 22 is always going to be more effective imo. Head shots or body shots. Bigger is better LOL! The 177 will get the job done if the bullet is in the right place. My 177 is friendlier on scopes than my magnum 22. I've gone thru several on it. And these are scopes designed for Break barrel air rifles.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 09:27:38 AM »
I really wish that I had invested in a high quality air rifle before I retired.
It looks like a barrel of fun.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline ironglows

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »
My Ruger Air Hawk .177  (wood stock) is not a high dollar rifle, comparatively speaking.  ..But if anyone who had a BB gun when they were younger, just hefted and shot that Ruger, they would know immediately, that this is no BB gun !
  It weighs more than any of my regular rifles, and is quite accurate to about 30 yards.
  I have some ammo on hand for it, to include 500 rounds Crosman Premier HPs, 500 German RWS super points and 500 RWS Diablo extras, from which I have just used a few.   I don't shoot it often enough...

One tip...if you are looking for a nice rimfire scope, and ruggedness is your primary criteria, consider one of the scopes recommended by the air gun suppliers.  Air guns are TOUGH on scopes, because of their push-pull recoil.

I have plenty of rimfires too, because I have always made it a habit to "pick up some extra rounds" when ever I saw some.  I continued the habit, even after the first Obama-shortage.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 03:39:46 PM »
That's a good habit to get into IG.

I introduced a new shooter to the sport today. Bought a daisy red rider for my 5 yr old G. Grandson, and he fired his first shot today. Not sure how far he missed the can, but it was pointed in the right direction. The trigger is pretty darn stiff on that little rifle. Old Gramps may have to break it in for him. ::)

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 04:13:37 PM »
That's a good habit to get into IG.

I introduced a new shooter to the sport today. Bought a daisy red rider for my 5 yr old G. Grandson, and he fired his first shot today. Not sure how far he missed the can, but it was pointed in the right direction. The trigger is pretty darn stiff on that little rifle. Old Gramps may have to break it in for him. ::)
  i didnt know they still made those .  They never were very accurate .

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »
Yep! Still making them. I killed a lot of snakes,rats and other things I shouldn't have back in my childhood days with one.
Not a lot of accuracy in that smoothbore, but out to about 30 ft. able to do it. A great little rifle to get kids interested in the shooting sport, and something to do with cans after food inside is gone. ;)

Offline ironglows

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
   Yep!  It looks like Gramps will have to break the Red Ryder in for him !  ;)  ;D