Author Topic: Crossbow Hunters  (Read 839 times)

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
Crossbow Hunters
« on: December 08, 2020, 01:36:28 AM »
Sold my recurve and bought a crossbow this year, and gee I wish I'd done it sooner. Haven't tagged a deer yet with it, but its sure not the bow's fault. Current hunting set up is an Amped 415 with Bloodsport Witness arrows, and NAP Killzone broad heads. Now that I've had a season to shake it out a bit, I think I might pick up some Tooth of the Arrow broad heads in the post Christmas sales ... hopefully.

What is your crossbow hunting set up? And how did you do this season?
held fast

Offline The Old Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Crossbow Hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:12:38 AM »
I've owned a Barnett C5 Wildcat for a number of years, and currently I shoot XX75 2219 bolts with a 100gr NAP Shockwave mechanical broad head. I took a huge doe with it early on in archery this year.

Shortly after I came accross a XB380 with silencers already on the bow, and decided I liked my aluminum bolts better, so tossed aside the carbon and used the same set up as the C5. Second time out with it, a 6 pt buck on the decline walked by me at 25 yds, and I center punched him too.

Watched both deer go down. I tried posting the pictures, but they just won't go to the post.
Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »
Sold my recurve and bought a crossbow this year, and gee I wish I'd done it sooner. Haven't tagged a deer yet with it, but its sure not the bow's fault. Current hunting set up is an Amped 415 with Bloodsport Witness arrows, and NAP Killzone broad heads. Now that I've had a season to shake it out a bit, I think I might pick up some Tooth of the Arrow broad heads in the post Christmas sales ... hopefully.

What is your crossbow hunting set up? And how did you do this season?
I have an Excalibur Micro Suppressor which is a recurve crossbow.  I have shot a couple of deer (a buck and a doe) with it the last two years and love it. 

I use Gold Tip bolts with 100 grain Muzzy mechanical broad heads.  I don't know if they are any better than fixed blade but they seem to work. 

I am embarrassed to say that I didn't even know I had an illuminated scope until I was messing with it in my blind this season.  That sure is a neat option and it helped me on my doe.  I am sold on the crossbow and while it is hard to get the string set, it is a lot of fun and I feel very confident with it. 
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 08:49:16 AM »
I tried posting the pictures, but they just won't go to the post.
Put them on your desktop and then use the attachment feature.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye