Author Topic: Out with the Old. In with the New.  (Read 636 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Out with the Old. In with the New.
« on: December 07, 2020, 02:29:32 AM »
I also opted to change my deer bullet from a "trial run" of 50, older, Winchester-Nosler, Combined Technology (CT), flat based, moly coated (mostly removed), 150 gr., Partitions, now relegated to sight in rounds.  These CT bullets are accurate, but comparatively MUCH louder, than tried and true, return to service, modern, 150 gr., Nosler Partitions.   On different days I killed one deer (at 50 yds.) and two (take advantage of 20 yd. shot moments) turkeys with the CT bullets.  A head/neck shot on a turkey at 20 yards from a rock solid rest is "fish in a barrel" work.

However, with the Combined Technology bullets I completely missed, twice, one each on two separate days, at broadside, 150# plus, hogs that were over 250 yards from the stand.  These eyes are NOT that bad.  The gun with modern Partitions and I, are completely capable of that shot, though the old scope and old (new to me) CT bullets may not be.  The rifle rest is rock solid.  The rifle, scope, and CT bullet was sighted in and "right where I wanted it to be" immediately prior to the season. 

My approach to each of those shots was methodical, calculated, controlled, and unhurried.  My "guesstimate of range" has been laser measured many times before the shot.  I know my land.  My bullet doping can be questioned as I shot HIGH on both days hitting neither hide nor hair on either hog.  Best to miss completely than to hit and injure.  My confidence is gone and before continuing to hunt must be restored.

I will shoot the modern Partitions for accuracy to get the rifle, scope and bullet "right where I want it" today.  Following that, I will remain and sit quietly to see if anything crosses the range before sundown.  At least that is the Plan at 8:30 a.m. on a rainy Monday...

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Out with the Old. In with the New.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 10:33:43 PM »
UPDATE: 

I shoulda started at 25 yds just to get on paper.  Instead, I looked through the open barrel at the target 100 yds. away, then through the scope, and adjusted the scope to target (a lot) before firing the first round, which was on paper!  Then moving the shot to the target location was a cinch. 

Results: 270 Winchester Classic Featherweight; near 50.0 gr.; IMR 4831 powder; 150 gr. Nosler Partition; case OL: 2.54", cartridge OL: 3.375"; final group (of three) was 0.85" out to out (rifle has always liked this bullet and powder combo); bench rest; 100 yd. target; group 2.65" above target center for a 200 yd. zero; 2,458 fps average (formerly chronographed).

I started to set up at 2:30 p.m.  By 4:30 p.m. I was finished and all was put in the truck to return home.  I am shooting on my own land.  The same land that I hunt.  I figured, what the heck!  I sat on stand for the remaining 1.5 hr. of daylight to darkness.  I was REWARDED in a big way. 

While no legal game came, I got to SEE and WATCH with binoculars Mr. Florida Black Bear (for the first time!) feeding for 20 minutes on acorns at 250 yards from a permanent box blind.  On all fours, he is a big as me!  I am no longer the top predator in my woods and have not been for about three years.  Still, in that time I have not personally seen any one of the bears (bruin, mama, or three cubs) that are seen on camera, mostly in the middle of the night. 

December 7th, a day that will live in infamy (for many reasons).    Remember our service men and women.