Author Topic: Looking at new scopes for my hunting rifle.  (Read 1587 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Looking at new scopes for my hunting rifle.
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:32:54 AM »
I’ve always felt that a 3X leupold or maybe 6X was enough for any hunting I did. But at 75 years of age now I’m rethinking my optical needs. I just don’t see as well as I used to.

I’m thinking a leupold 4-12 might be a good choice.
I want light weight, and reliable optics but under $400.

I was looking at the Burris scopes 3-12 with 56 mm glass but they weight a lot.

Any ideas on something that might work for me.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Looking at new scopes for my hunting rifle.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 05:08:18 AM »
Not a good choice in my experience. Above 9x parallax adjustment is about mandatory or things get fuzzy.

I like the Leupold 2-7 and 3-9. Those two will do all a hunter needs to do unless you are one of those who turns down any sot less than 500 yards. I know from your posts that's no you.

I believe the 4-12 would prove less useful to you than what you have been using,

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:39:10 AM »
I agree with Bill, unless you're shooting varmints or extreme long distance a 2×7 or 3x9 is perfect.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:59:07 AM »
When I lived and hunted in New Mexico I bought a tikka rifle in 25/06 and put a Leupold 4-12 riflescope on it. At the time it fitted my needs very well. But I was about 50 years old. Now at 75 years of age I’m struggling to find some glass that works.

Part of the problem may be cataract surgery with new lense implants. I see great now except up close. And I’m not as steady as I used to be. I tend to shoot my shotguns a lot more than my rifles.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:12:23 AM »
I've got two bad shoulders, and two bad knees. Several years ago I bought a pair of shooting stiks that telescope from a sitting position, to a standing position with a simple twist.
Last year I sold a 3 1/2 to 10 leupold vari-x 3, but kept a leupold 2 to 7 vari-x 2.

It, with the adjustable shooting stixs are just more useful at my age. When walking I'll sling my rifle and use the stixs for balance.

And, I also have had cataract surgery with lenses implants.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 05:09:27 AM »
Probably 3/4s of my scopes are 3x9s. Why? because there the best sellers so you usually get the best scope for you money. That said when im crop damage shooting even in 500 yard fields i set them on 6x. Probably shot 90 percent of my deer set at 6. IF there so far away that they look to small at 6x i have plenty of time to causally crank them up. That said ive shot lots of deer out past 400 yards set at 6x. Seeing as well really shouldnt come into play. Shooting with glasses or without and focusing the scope to shoot without them should give you a clear sight pic. Now if your wearing glasses and focus your scope for wearing glasses then try to shoot it without them  on i can see the problem. im with bill on the higher powered ones really parallax starts to occur with me at 8x. I can do 9 and maybe 120 but i wont waste money on a scope over that that doesnt have an adjustable parallax feature. Comical thing is they leave them out on the lower priced units and those are the worse offenders. If i couldnt afford a 4x12 with adjustable parallax my money would be spent on a best 3x9 my wallet will endure.
blue lives matter

Online Mule 11

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 06:18:43 AM »
So. Pastorp. What did you decide on?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 06:24:22 AM »
I'm wondering what brands to look at now. Nikon was my go to previously.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 09:29:32 AM »
JMHO-  If a fixed 4X or 6X won't serve you,
I'd go with a 3X9 like the others have said.
Myself, I don't like having to adjust anything
in any way when a shot presents itself.
I want to get my sight picture and be ready
to shoot immediately or pass one of the two.
I also see a lot of posts all over and read
about troubles people have with the current
crop of twisty scopes. Most are concerning
scopes not holding true to zero and warranties.
Warranty doesn't mean doodley scoot to me
if my scope spends more time at the factory
and being shipped back and forth than it
does mounted on my firearm.
If you have to find something other than what
you already have, there are a lot of used Leupolds
and other quality reliable scopes to be had.
The majority are just fine.  The owners wanted
some new fancy something and just took off
the functional reliable scope for a new
whizz bang
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 04:12:54 PM »
stick with leupold. new or used. they fix them free. forever. that alone says it all. wish I could buy a car with that warrantee.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 10:27:55 PM »
I wrote  a novel.  Sorry. Got it off my chest though...

I have never set my scope to more magnification than 6x when hunting.  Shots here just are not that long.  My eyesight may have a lot to do with magnification, clarity, and "light gathering" (an ego stroking sales concept I think).  I have always been 20-10 vision, "ace" the optometrists' eye chart test, and wear lenses for astigmatism that correct toward that end. 

I don't have to tolerate the Insurance Industry's "Standard" of correctable eyewear that "magically" or insistently stops at 20-20.  If the Optometrist's technicians I am paying for services cannot or will not spend a few extra minutes to work with me, when I tell them that I hunt and need to see, then I am going to solicit someone else.  My "30-something" eye Doc said last week that my eyesight is better than 97% of the people "my age" and cataract surgery, facing ALL of us, would not be needed or recommended for my strong right eye as there is nothing correctable there to achieve.  The left, meh, give or take another 5-10 years.

Sighting in is another matter.  A retirement "parting gift" (no Gold watch) was a Bushnell 15-45x by 60mm spotting scope and tripod.  I inherited a Leupold 15-60x by 80mm spotting scope and tripod.  I favor the Bushnell because I earned it.  I set the Leupold up for my spouse.  I used to sight in through a real crappy 10X by 25mm scope "tube" ("Halleyscope" from the comet's last visit).  What a pita that was for too many years, but I got it done.

Due to funding limitations (can't "see" paying as much or more than the rifle), I have always found "economy priced" scopes to suit my need out to 275 yards, which is the longest shot I might take.  If Leupold scopes are repairable "for free", you have paid for that in advance, so use it or lose it.

I have never abused a scope, used one for a hammer, tried to shoot a bullet through one like a sniper in a Hollyweird movie, or looked through one directly into the sun (on purpose anyway - sometimes looking to the West at sunset is problematic).  I have inherited multiple Leupold scopes in 2x7 and 3x9.  I personally don't see any greater "light gathering", image clarity, or "you could almost see individual animal hairs" from 200+ yards through a Leupold than through my Bausch & Lomb, Bushnell, Nikon, Redfield, and Weaver.  I think stroking egos is part of the advertising blitz and the cost of Leupold.

A 3x9 Bausch & Lomb suited me in hunting and sighting in for nearly 30-years.  It came as a $350.00 Win., model 70, Featherweight, rifle/scope combination.  That set the bar of scope price rather low.  Now a reconditioned 3x9 Redfield is my Go To.  Redfield was American made, now owned by Leupold, and perhaps still is.

While not "guaranteed", many scopes can be reconditioned (my inherited Redfield was) by the folks at Iron Sight, Inc., 4814 S. Elwood Avenue, Tulsa, OK  74107.  A sentimental scope that was given to me as "dead" now sits reconditioned on my favored hunting rifle.  Oh well.  Optics are personal like caliber, rifle, truck, spouse, you name it.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »
Actually,  the younger long range crowd
considers leupolds as " old man scopes "
and I doubt you could give a lot of the
twenty-somethings around here a used
leupold 3X9 , unless they wanted it for
trade material toward a twisty electronic
something that was used by a sniper
in a movie
Let's go Brandon  !

Online Mule 11

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 05:39:46 AM »
Good. Then they will sell me dads or grandpas leupold scope cheap...

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 06:22:38 AM »
ill take a coupls too, I most of the neg opinions some  have is there comparing old vari x 2s that werent that great opticaly. New ones are as good of bang for the buck as any and have one of the best warantees in the industry
Good. Then they will sell me dads or grandpas leupold scope cheap...
blue lives matter

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 01:41:21 AM »
Another vote for a Leupold 2x7 or 3x9. The OP doesn't give enough info for a good decision. Rifle, caliber and quarry. My 308 Savage 99 wears a 2x7 and is my woods gun. For longer range My 280 Rem 700 wears a 4x12. I consider this a mid range rifle. My distance rifle is no fun to carry but a hoot to shot. A custom Arg. chambered in 6.5-06 wears a 4.5x16 Leupold VXL. I went this route so I can keep my head down. My wife's 243 wears a 3x9.

With all three rifles I keep it set at the lowest magnification, if I need more I will have time to raise it. 

Leupold is your best bang for the buck JMHO

Offline ironglows

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 03:09:55 AM »
  In variables, the 3X9 has one thing going for it IMO. 
  For example, my son has a regular client who deals in very high end automobiles..Ferraris, Lambos, high end Porsches etc.  Although these cars can be a blast to drive, they are very temperamental and VERY high maintenance!
  This dealer will readily admit it..and his customers are financially set, so the cost doesn't bother them.

They are much less 'dependable', than the average ford, Toyota etc.  Why? ..Because the regular car builders build any particular model in the hundreds of thousands, and have plenty of time to weed out any "bugs" in their cars.  Meanwhile Lambo or Ferrari may have a run of 100 in a given model..so when do they work out the bugs?

The 3X9 scope is so universal, that perhaps IMO, they are likely the most dependable variable out there.

Just my $ .02..take it or trash it !
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..