Author Topic: Looking at new scopes for my hunting rifle.  (Read 244 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Looking at new scopes for my hunting rifle.
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:32:54 AM »
Iíve always felt that a 3X leupold or maybe 6X was enough for any hunting I did. But at 75 years of age now Iím rethinking my optical needs. I just donít see as well as I used to.

Iím thinking a leupold 4-12 might be a good choice.
I want light weight, and reliable optics but under $400.

I was looking at the Burris scopes 3-12 with 56 mm glass but they weight a lot.

Any ideas on something that might work for me.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Looking at new scopes for my hunting rifle.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 05:08:18 AM »
Not a good choice in my experience. Above 9x parallax adjustment is about mandatory or things get fuzzy.

I like the Leupold 2-7 and 3-9. Those two will do all a hunter needs to do unless you are one of those who turns down any sot less than 500 yards. I know from your posts that's no you.

I believe the 4-12 would prove less useful to you than what you have been using,

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:39:10 AM »
I agree with Bill, unless you're shooting varmints or extreme long distance a 2◊7 or 3x9 is perfect.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:59:07 AM »
When I lived and hunted in New Mexico I bought a tikka rifle in 25/06 and put a Leupold 4-12 riflescope on it. At the time it fitted my needs very well. But I was about 50 years old. Now at 75 years of age Iím struggling to find some glass that works.

Part of the problem may be cataract surgery with new lense implants. I see great now except up close. And Iím not as steady as I used to be. I tend to shoot my shotguns a lot more than my rifles.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Online Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:12:23 AM »
I've got two bad shoulders, and two bad knees. Several years ago I bought a pair of shooting stiks that telescope from a sitting position, to a standing position with a simple twist.
Last year I sold a 3 1/2 to 10 leupold vari-x 3, but kept a leupold 2 to 7 vari-x 2.

It, with the adjustable shooting stixs are just more useful at my age. When walking I'll sling my rifle and use the stixs for balance.

And, I also have had cataract surgery with lenses implants.
1st Corinthians Chapter 11, Verse 28. But let a man EXAMINE HIMSELF, and so let him eat of "that " bread, and drink of "that" cup.

It doesn't really matter how you "think" it is, but how it ACTUALLY is.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 05:09:27 AM »
Probably 3/4s of my scopes are 3x9s. Why? because there the best sellers so you usually get the best scope for you money. That said when im crop damage shooting even in 500 yard fields i set them on 6x. Probably shot 90 percent of my deer set at 6. IF there so far away that they look to small at 6x i have plenty of time to causally crank them up. That said ive shot lots of deer out past 400 yards set at 6x. Seeing as well really shouldnt come into play. Shooting with glasses or without and focusing the scope to shoot without them should give you a clear sight pic. Now if your wearing glasses and focus your scope for wearing glasses then try to shoot it without them  on i can see the problem. im with bill on the higher powered ones really parallax starts to occur with me at 8x. I can do 9 and maybe 120 but i wont waste money on a scope over that that doesnt have an adjustable parallax feature. Comical thing is they leave them out on the lower priced units and those are the worse offenders. If i couldnt afford a 4x12 with adjustable parallax my money would be spent on a best 3x9 my wallet will endure.
blue lives matter