Author Topic: Have Case knives lost their edge??  (Read 53 times)

Offline northwoodneil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Have Case knives lost their edge??
« on: October 31, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
I recently bought a Case 2 knife fixed blade set. The set comes with a small finn (3" blade) and a hunter (5" blade) in the same sheath. I've had a set since the 70's and got my son a set in the 90's. My granddaughter is hunting with us again this year for the second time so I thought I would get her a set. The hunter knife is perfect, solid and sharp. The finn on the other hand is dull and the pommel slightly loose. Is it to much to expect in this day and age that a knife that was so good for so many years is now just another knife? Case customer service has been good and will stand behind their product but I'll never get the knife shipped out to PA and back by deer season. It's too bad Case let a knife like this slip out of their factory. Has anyone else had any problems with new Case knives or did I just get a lemon?
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Have Case knives lost their edge??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 01:22:20 PM »
I haven't bought a new Case product
in some years. Maybe early 2000's.
It's nice and sharp, but not nearly so
as the older ones I have.
JMHO-  I think they started concentrating
on the collector's market some time
back instead of the user's market.
Quite a few of them get put away in
drawers and cabinets and never get
brought out for use, only for viewing
and when headed for another collector's
hands.
My oldest is one an old mechanic and
friend gave me back in the early 80's
that dates to the early 60's. One blade
is half sharpened away, and the other
about 1/4 worn away compared to my
newer one. It still very usable and sharp.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »
I haven't bought a new Case in a long time. The last ones I got tho were nice and sharp and well made with no issues.

I have one of those small fixed blade knives that I think is same as the one you are talking about. Best as I can recall I bought it when I was a teenager. I'm 75 so have had it a day or three.

I used to carry it on all hunting trips but especially squirrel hunting. The old sheath for it got to where the snap wasn't as tight as it should be and I lost that knife on a hunting trip.

I went back following my trail just as exactly as possible and luckily actually found the knife where it had dropped out. I haven't carried it on a belt since. I have carried it inside of a back pack since but never again on the belt. I no longer hunt so it just sits these days. It sure has gutted out and skinned a lot of small game over the years.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline northwoodneil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 12:44:01 AM »
I really like my Case knives and they have always served me well over the years. I guess when you only buy a set every 25 years or so there's going to be a few changes. I think the knives will be fine in the end and Cases customer service is great. I can't say "still" great because I've never had a reason to contact them in the last 50 years. 
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"